1200 cal a day diet plan tips needed

Options
Hi all

Just embarked on this journey. Does any one have tips, advise, recepies for a strong start. 20lb' to lose..

Replies

• ariela569
    ariela569 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you. 5lb a week would be great
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ariela569 wrote: »
    Thank you. 5lb a week would be great

she means set your goal to .5 lbs a week(1/2 lb). with only 20 lbs to lose you will lose it slower and you dont want a too aggressive calorie deficit. 1200 might be too aggressive of a goal and may not be sustainable. you wont lose 5lbs a week unless you are severely obese and even then it may not happen.
  • ariela569
    Options
    Thanks guys, I just need to give my body a shake, it seems to have ground to a holt. Can you share some light meals on the go recipes?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    ariela569 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I just need to give my body a shake, it seems to have ground to a holt. Can you share some light meals on the go recipes?

your body doesnt need a shake. weight loss isnt linear so some weeks you will lose other weeks you wont. and plateaus can happen. how long has it been since you have not lost anything. weight loss takes time and its possible that you may be eating more than you think. do you weigh your food? also if you are new to exercise or exercising more you will retain water as well.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I agree with comments above, I have 20 more to lose and it's coming off --slowly but surely. I set my my goal to 1/2 pound a week and even though I'm older and shorter (5'2 1/2"), I get 1520 calories a day. Most days I fall at around 1300-1400 naturally, although yesterday I ate every last one of the 1520! 1200 may not be sustainable in the long haul, just a thought. You could try running your numbers to half pound a week and see if that may be easier for you:)
  • ariela569
    Options
    Many thanks. I will re evaluate the 1200 cal. I know it takes time, especially when there are only 20lb left. Just very keen to get it off. I do work out but I broke my foot recently and I'm struggling to gather momentum...plus I have no patience
  • Meowler
    Meowler Posts: 115 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    On another thread, someone mentioned using https://www.reddit.com/r/1200isplenty/ as a guide and for meal ideas. There's not really any set recipes, but it's a useful referencing tool if you need inspiration.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    1) Avoid processed food at all costs 2) Eat more fresh veggies 3) Watch your fruit content 4) Eat lean proteins and make sure you eat enough of them 5) No creamy salad dressing that you have not made yourself out of yogurt. 6) Underestimate your exercise, overestimate your food! 7) Keep it interesting. 8) Don't deprive yourself completely or you will end up doing something like eating a whole cheesecake!

Try new foods. For example, you can still have a plate of 'spaghetti' if you make it with spaghetti squash. There is a vast variety of fresh, healthy food out there that is wonderful!
  • ariela569
    Options
    Very helpful, thank you Linda
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is for weight loss, not for maintaining a weight. I put my limit 1300. That silly 100 calories has made a difference in how I feel and I am still losing slowly but steadily. Consider this: at a measly 1/2 pound a week, next year this time you will be 24 pounds lighter.
  • sumiyabilal9902
    sumiyabilal9902 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Share your meal plan plzz
  • sumiyabilal9902
    sumiyabilal9902 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 10 kg in a month I am very depressed kindly help plz guys
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

that much weight in a month is not going to happen unless you go to drastic measures and I dont recommend that. you didnt gain it overnight,you arent going to lose it overnight.fast weight loss is not the way to go.go into your MFP profile put in your current weight,activity level and how much you want to lose(sense its only 22lbs it should be set to lose .5(1/2lb) a week.the faster you lose weight at a lower body weight the more muscle mass you will lose.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

10 kg in a month is way too aggressive. If that's all you have to lose, you can probably lose 2-3 kg the first month, then 1-2 each month afterwards.
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Eat clean and try to get about 150 grams of protein each day.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    1) Avoid processed food at all costs 2) Eat more fresh veggies 3) Watch your fruit content 4) Eat lean proteins and make sure you eat enough of them 5) No creamy salad dressing that you have not made yourself out of yogurt. 6) Underestimate your exercise, overestimate your food! 7) Keep it interesting. 8) Don't deprive yourself completely or you will end up doing something like eating a whole cheesecake!

Try new foods. For example, you can still have a plate of 'spaghetti' if you make it with spaghetti squash. There is a vast variety of fresh, healthy food out there that is wonderful!

#1. Why?
    #3. Why?
    #5. Why?