1200 calories a day

Options
I've about 4 stone to lose and I've been monitoring my eating for nearly 5 weeks now . I feel healthier than ever haven't weighed myself yet .. but want to know if I should lower my intake per day .
I was on 1500 thought I'd lose weight quicker by lowering

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1200 (before exercise) is the default minimum based on nutritional standards, so don't lower it any further.

1200 (before exercise) could be enough calories for you - it is for very petite or elderly women (but by your picture, you're not elderly).

Fast weight loss isn't generally as healthy as moderate paced weight loss. Larger calorie deficits make it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass, so you don't lower your body fat % by as much.
  • mifii10
    mifii10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Please don't lower your calorie intake just to lose weight quicker.
    i did that and regret it. I didn't listen to anyone who said i should go slow and steady. So while i did lose weight pretty fast, i wrecked my health in doing so and ended up having surgery to remove my gallbladder because it had stones in it.
    go slow and steady. Don't try to speed up the process too much. As long as you're losing weight and feeling healthier, it's working :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    why would you lower your intake per day? what would that accomplish? do you plan on lowering it per day until you are eating nothing? if you have 4 stone to lose you need to try and lose no more than 1lb a week. you didnt gain it overnight so losing it quickly is not the way to go.go by what MFP gives you for your activity level and to lose 1lb a week. eventually you will have to go to half a lb a week.
  • kelhea
    kelhea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It depends on your activity level. If you are not doing any kinds of cardio/strength training then yes 1200 is acceptable. But if you are doing heavy training/cardio then you should eat much more than 1200.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    kelhea wrote: »
    It depends on your activity level. If you are not doing any kinds of cardio/strength training then yes 1200 is acceptable. But if you are doing heavy training/cardio then you should eat much more than 1200.

actually it depends on her height,weigh,age as well as her activity level and how much she has to lose. the less you have to lose the less of a deficit you should have. if mfp gave her 1500 then she should try that for awhile. even if she werent doing any exercise 1200 may still be too low for her. since we dont know her height,weight and age or anything else its hard to tell whats correct for her. for me 1200 is too low even if I were to sit on my butt all day as my BMR is 1400+.