Best low-calorie (non-fattening) snacks for when you're hungry but just ate?

Options
Hi, I'm curious to know what are some snacks that are filling and satiate hunger but are low in calories and 'healthy,' for when you're hungry just a few hours after you've eaten.

I already know apples are quite good, but do you have anymore ideas?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Any vegetables. They are low calorie and some are nice and crunchy.

You should also look into your meal composition and see what combos make you more satisfied. This will be different for all, as some people need fibre and protein in their meal to feel satisfied, whereas others like more carbs, etc.
  • Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Any vegetables. They are low calorie and some are nice and crunchy.

You should also look into your meal composition and see what combos make you more satisfied. This will be different for all, as some people need fibre and protein in their meal to feel satisfied, whereas others like more carbs, etc.

Thanks. But one question, even though carbs make you feel more satisfied, they're bad compared to proteins, right?

So if someone had the choice to eat carbs or proteins to satisfy them, then I'm assuming proteins would be the smarter choice.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Apples just make me feel more hungry
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,375 Member
    Options
    I always go over all my macros, but under my calories so I've been loosing wt consistently. one of the things i like to eat as snack is open face peanut butter & no sugar added jam. sometimes i'll only have 1 Tbs of P butter instead of 2, depending how many calories i want to save for later. Also 1 can of chicken breast is only 113 cal, sometimes i'll have a fiber or protein bar or make a fruit/veggie shake
  • Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad. They are energy. For some, they digest very fast and leave the eater unsatisfied so that's why someone may prefer another macronutrient.

Calories are king when it comes to weight loss. Macronutrient distribution is entirely personal.

I eat high fat (130g or more per day on average) because I find high fat more satiating than other macronutrients. I am still in a deficit, but I choose to eat high fat because I have a hard time feeling satisfied with carbs.

But others are different. They may need less fat and more carbs but as long as they are in a deficit, they will lose weight.

Protein is good for muscle retention/repair and satiety, but it isn't a hard and fast rule.

I see. :)
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, and baby carrots.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    I always go over all my macros, but under my calories so I've been loosing wt consistently. one of the things i like to eat as snack is open face peanut butter & no sugar added jam. sometimes i'll only have 1 Tbs of P butter instead of 2, depending how many calories i want to save for later. Also 1 can of chicken breast is only 113 cal, sometimes i'll have a fiber or protein bar or make a fruit/veggie shake

If you're going over all your macros and still under calories, there's an error in the macro calculations somewhere. Your macros should match up (or be very close to) your calorie intake. You're either under on one (or more) of your macros, or you're over on calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just ate a tomato with salt and vinegar popcorn seasoning on it. Just pick up a vegetable and put it in your mouth.
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just ate a tomato with salt and vinegar popcorn seasoning on it. Just pick up a vegetable and put it in your mouth.

Salt and vinegar popcorn seasoning! Where have I been. What brand?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    100 calorie pop corn is great because you feel like you are eating more. I also like a protein bar if having a sweet tooth or some pretzels with jiff whips. Any raw veggies with some hummus or trechas seasoning.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

arditarose wrote: »

Salt and vinegar popcorn seasoning! Where have I been. What brand?

I think it's just called "Kernels" brand. I don't know. I saw it in my friend's closet the other day and started freaking out and she GAVE it to me. The first two times I used it I had like an allergic reaction because I ate so much. My mouth was confused.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes, currently into salt
    And vinegar Snack a jacks.

With a smear of almond butter if I have the Fats spare
  • frankie671
    frankie671 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nakd crunch bars (107-ish cals), low-cal popcorn bags, raspberries, protein bars, cheese strings :)
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you have eaten sufficient calories and are just wanting something to feel satisfied and full, I recommend making a pot of tea with a bit of milk in it. I do this when I have the craving to keep eating after dinner :)
  • mandismitht
    mandismitht Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I keep a box of the Fiber One 90 calorie snack bars in my car for when I am late for lunch etc. The ones I like are the brownie, the mint brownie, lemon square and recently tried the pumpkin ones (they taste like gingerbread to me) - they have lots of fiber, so I can go at least another hour after eating one and not feel hungry. Obviously, fruits and veggies are best as they are not processed but I like to have these on hand in a pitch so I don't indulge in something higher in calories.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    One snack I usually have is air-popped popcorn spritzed with a little tabasco sauce. A cup of this is only 32 calories, 6g carbs and 30mg sodium.
  • melted_
    melted_ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat a big bowl of cut of veggies and fruits and drink a big glass of water to make me feel full
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    eat more times during the day. i mean - instead of snack, eat 'proper' food 5-6 times per day. by the time you start getting hungry (about 3 hours) it's time to eat properly again.

Works for some people anyway :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Drink a cup of water. Wait 15 minutes. Evaluate. Sometimes that post meal hunger for me is because my meal didn't satisfy all the levels - crunchy, salty, sweet, bitter, creamy, etc. I fill in whatever the gap is. Many times it is "sweet." Fruity tea, dessert tea, Greek yogurt, fruit or a few nuts may do the trick.