Losing weight after ankle surgery. Help!!

Options
Hi everyone!! I just had some major ankle surgery and am super nervous at how much this can set me back and gain weight. I plan on eating as clean and low cal as possible to makeup for the lack of regular activity. I am non-weight bearing at least for the next month but expect to be in casts / boots for up to 3 months!

Does anyone have any exercises or tips that can help me include some sort of cardio / fitness into my life? I have tons of workout and gym equipment at my disposal in my home gym. Anything helps, even if I can just work on getting some killer arms or something, just looking to stay motivated!

Appreciate the suggestions!!

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Just weigh your food and recover.
  • wi_maint_man
    wi_maint_man Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just had ankle surgery, wasn't major. I had an impingement do to scary tissue from a torn ligament that healed. For now the food intake is easy to control, feeling dopey from the pain killers. My plan is to just continue on as usual, tracking my calories. I do have to say that I was overeating a lot before surgery because I was nervous. Now I'm hoping to get back to normal, I'd like to run on the treadmill again.
  • wi_maint_man
    Options
    I just had ankle surgery, wasn't major. I had an impingement do to scary tissue from a torn ligament that healed. For now the food intake is easy to control, feeling dopey from the pain killers. My plan is to just continue on as usual, tracking my calories. I do have to say that I was overeating a lot before surgery because I was nervous. Now I'm hoping to get back to normal, I'd like to run on the treadmill again.

Lol "scary tissue "
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    When I'm sidelined with an injury I just adjust how much I'm eating. I've pretty much been out of commission for eight weeks...I just eat less...haven't gained a Lb. All I've really been allowed to do is my banded PT work and some minimal time with an arm bike.

I was just cleared Tuesday to resume riding and hitting the weight room...though I'll have to keep it fairly light weight for a bit and build things back up.

Injuries are part of the game...you just adjust how much you're eating. When I'm doing less, I'm less hungry so it's not that big of a deal.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I've had ankle and foot surgery. My foot was in a boot for several months each time and there's really nothing you can do w/your foot until the boot comes off and you start PT.

Without the use of both legs/feet, there really isn't much you can do in terms of cardio or lifting. FWIW, you'll be getting quite a workout just shchleping around on one leg/foot using crutches or whatever to get around.

The one thing I'd note is that, after my surgeries, my right calf (the side the surgery was on) became visibly smaller than the left after being stuck in the boot. Even after significant exercise and lifting since then, the right is still 1" smaller than the left.

Not sure there is anything you can do about it but I never tried doing any isolation exercises, which I suppose might have helped build up the right calf again but the difference wasn't all that noticeable at a glance (only to me), so I never bothered.

However, any effort you make in the regard still won't be possible until after you take off the boot.

Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Recalculate your calorie needs on MFP using sedentary lifestyle. As long as you eat within your calorie goal, there is no reason you should gain weight. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • wi_maint_man
    Options
    Well It's been 7 weeks since ankle surgery, back to work, it's still sore but that's normal. I gained 12 pounds and it has really got me down in the dumps, I've been keeping around 2000 calories a day for the last 3 weeks, I want to get down to 200lbs.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor if you can swim. I started swimming (no kicking, used a pull buoy) three weeks after ORIF surgery. I also did very easy aqua jogging so I could get my legs moving.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    ela989 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!! I just had some major ankle surgery and am super nervous at how much this can set me back and gain weight. I plan on eating as clean and low cal as possible to makeup for the lack of regular activity. I am non-weight bearing at least for the next month but expect to be in casts / boots for up to 3 months!

The most important thing is giving your body the nutrients it needs to recover. In my opinion, you should not be aiming for weight loss when recovering from surgery, instead aim for maintenance of your current weight, accounting for your sedentary activity level. You need to be eating significant amounts of protein and complex carbohydrates to produce building blocks for healing and to fuel your body to heal. Also make sure you are taking a wide-range multivitamin in addition to eating a variety of foods.

I second asking your doctor about swimming, it is a great exercise for ankle mobility and flexibility as well as being non-impacting so allowing your muscles to heal.