Options
2»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    alqotaibi wrote: »
    Thanx guys.
    I'm not restricting at all. I'm on 1750 cals and I eat most of my exercise calories too. I am ready to ovulate which does make me crave stuff. I just don't know how to stop it.

I had yesterday before work. 4 twirls and half a pack of nuts (the share bag) then got home and had full jar of Nutella, twirl bites and a takeaway.
    I feel fine now n feel like it's outa my system and I can start again.
    Just wish I could stop binging altogether xx

Do you find that eating something sugary triggers a binge?
  • DebSozo
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    Thanx guys.
    I'm not restricting at all. I'm on 1750 cals and I eat most of my exercise calories too. I am ready to ovulate which does make me crave stuff. I just don't know how to stop it.

I had yesterday before work. 4 twirls and half a pack of nuts (the share bag) then got home and had full jar of Nutella, twirl bites and a takeaway.

Maybe stop buying stuff you binge on.

I liked your post, but... Speaking from a binger on the Eating Disorder side.

That doesn't work when you have access to money when the binge urge hits. It is extreeeeemely hard to resist it.
    That's true. But it depends on how the binge urge hits you. If you feel compelled to leave your house and go buy food and binge, or if you binge on boiled cabbage, you have a bigger problem than if you'll eat whatever sweet stuff is in your cupboard, but can't be bothered to go to the store and buy what you crave. The last scenario is so easy to fix...

These are interesting questions. OP, do you have trigger foods that you would be tempted and want if you keep them in the cabinets of your home but don't if they are in the store? Or do you drive to the store or out of the house to get things? If it is the former, I agree with kommo, that is an easier problem to tackle.

For myself, I have certain foods I simply don't buy. I know what they are and keep them out of the house. Out of sight out of mind. I don't feel deprived when they aren't around, but rather I feel relieved.

• 911Doughboy
    911Doughboy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Diets of seclusion dont work. Everything in moderation
  • DebSozo
    Options

Do you mean "exclusion"?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Thanx guys.

Did you log the stuff you ate? How much over your calorie goal did you really go?

If you have one high day of calories and eat normally every other day then you don't ruin anything. If you binge eat every day for weeks it sets you back.

Maybe you just need a maintenance calorie day every now and then. Plan one out when you get the urge and see how it goes.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options

Depends on the person. If it is helping me cut my bulimia, I'm hopping on the pesc/vegetarian train with wild abandon. xD;
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If this is happening at ovulation time, try to keep a track of your cycle and plan to eat at maintenance during that time. Fit the stuff into your day. You may slow your losses slightly (but women can lose slower than men because of menstrual cycle/hormonal things) but maybe the extra calories might help.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thanx guys.

Yeah 1750 net sounds totally reasonable.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

Do you mean "exclusion"?

It could be "seclusion" - eating foods in isolation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Thanx guys.

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.
    10. Exercise more at ovulation.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Mmmm Nutella....it's so hard to have just a tablespoon. That's really the stuff I have the hardest time having around. It would be fine if I could keep it to a serving, but when I'm hungry and want something - look out. I have eaten a jar of cookie butter in a parking lot before I even got it home. I don't have any great advice, just that things like that I can't even keep in the house.

If you can resist something in the store, you only have to resist it one time. But if you bring it home, you have to resist it about 876 times knowing it's there and you want it and that uses up a whole lot of willpower. In a moment of weakness, it's too easy to grab. If you have to get dressed, go in your car, drive to the store, park.... a lot easier to resist.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Chin up. Today is a new day.
  • Missbright14
    Missbright14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanx guys.

Are you eating your feelings? A lot of people binge as a coping mechanism for other things?

Yes!! That's exactly it. I don't know how to get out of this coping mechanism x
  • Missbright14
    Options
    If this is happening at ovulation time, try to keep a track of your cycle and plan to eat at maintenance during that time. Fit the stuff into your day. You may slow your losses slightly (but women can lose slower than men because of menstrual cycle/hormonal things) but maybe the extra calories might help.

That's a really good IDEA actually I am going to try this x
  • Missbright14
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advise and comments. I really appreciate it.
    I think I will take all the comments on board and try it for a couple of months and if nothing changes I will have a chat with the nurse at my gp surgery.
    Here's to a new week x
  • Missbright14
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanx guys.

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.
    10. Exercise more at ovulation.

I am going to try some magnesium too x
  • 911Doughboy
    911Doughboy Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Do you mean "exclusion"?

yea thats that word....i think i was at work for 5 hours already when i wrote that.
  • DebSozo
    Options

Do you mean "exclusion"?

yea thats that word....i think i was at work for 5 hours already when i wrote that.

:)