1200 cal a day diet plan tips needed

2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Stpjudge wrote: »
    Eat clean and try to get about 150 grams of protein each day.

eating clean means something different to everyone. 150g of protein may be too much protein for her ,150g isnt for everyone its not a one size fits all(where did you get this amount?),and its not about what you eat its about how much. sure if she eats low calorie foods she can eat more. but you can eat what you want for the most part as long as it fits into your calorie goal. now those who have health issues and have to avoid certain foods is another discussion.
  • Sherni823
    Sherni823 Posts: 14 Member
    Remember egg whites are your friends! For breakfast most days I'll use one whole egg (for the nutrition) and mix it in with egg whites which are just a little less than 20 calories each in order to bulk up my food and fill me up easier without the calories of eating 2 or 3 whole eggs.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    1) Avoid processed food at all costs 2) Eat more fresh veggies 3) Watch your fruit content 4) Eat lean proteins and make sure you eat enough of them 5) No creamy salad dressing that you have not made yourself out of yogurt. 6) Underestimate your exercise, overestimate your food! 7) Keep it interesting. 8) Don't deprive yourself completely or you will end up doing something like eating a whole cheesecake!

Try new foods. For example, you can still have a plate of 'spaghetti' if you make it with spaghetti squash. There is a vast variety of fresh, healthy food out there that is wonderful!

yuck! none of this is necessary (as others have said!)
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    One of my favorite lunches is a piece of light Flat Out bread spread with a couple of tablespoons of hummus and filled with a variety of salad veggies and sometimes grilled chicken breast or fish. If I have a busy day where I won't have time for snacks, I add cheese for the staying power of protein. I can usually do it for under 400 calories, and I'm full until dinner time.

Also, I eat a LOT of broth based soups. They are very filling and depending on what you put in them, can be very filling. Also, If you need something thicker, I make a "creamed" cauliflower soup with an immersion blender that has less than 100 calories per cup, without the use of any cream or oil. Tomato soup is also really good too. If you are watching your sodium, avoid canned soups and foods, as they can make you retain water and mask your weight loss.

Lean protein is also a must. Chicken without the skin, turkey, lean beef, pork, and most seafood are great options. I frequently add a can of tuna to my salad veggies, and it makes for a satisfying lunch.

I don't do the low carb thing because without them, I feel empty and unsatisfied, even with a full stomach. Some people have success with it if they still eat fewer calories than they burn. Remember that the best diet is one that you can stick to!

Good luck and God bless. I'm still overweight, but it's slowly coming off eating like I do. Add me if you need a friend. My food log should be open if you want to look at it. I'm not perfect, but I'm doing pretty well in my opinion.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    5) No creamy salad dressing that you have not made yourself out of yogurt.

Why would you spend the time and money buying fresh veggies and building salads and then waste all the vitamins by using fat=free salad dressing? Why? Don't flush all that Vitamin A, E and K!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    1) Avoid processed food at all costs 2) Eat more fresh veggies 3) Watch your fruit content 4) Eat lean proteins and make sure you eat enough of them 5) No creamy salad dressing that you have not made yourself out of yogurt. 6) Underestimate your exercise, overestimate your food! 7) Keep it interesting. 8) Don't deprive yourself completely or you will end up doing something like eating a whole cheesecake!

Try new foods. For example, you can still have a plate of 'spaghetti' if you make it with spaghetti squash. There is a vast variety of fresh, healthy food out there that is wonderful!

I did the complete opposite of this advice.

Lost 25 pounds and holding. I eat all foods, used a food for accuracy and didn't not deprive myself of anything. And using spaghetti squash instead of pasta is not necessary unless, of course, you like spaghetti squash. Bleh

This deserves insightful, inspiring, like and awesome.. can't do them all...

OP this!!!!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    vassar15 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I did the complete opposite of this advice.

Lost 25 pounds and holding. I eat all foods, used a food for accuracy and didn't not deprive myself of anything. And using spaghetti squash instead of pasta is not necessary unless, of course, you like spaghetti squash. Bleh

Glad it worked for you.

But if someone likes spaghetti squash, and if pasta and spaghetti squash provide the same satiety, eat the spaghetti squash. Why? Because spaghetti squash contains a lot fewer calories than pasta.

I look at pasta as Coke and spaghetti squash as Diet Coke (again, if you like spaghetti squash)

Little tricks like this can go a long way toward meeting your weight goal.

It is still not necessary, why make it harder than it needs to be? When one reaches their goal weight, it will be easier to maintain because they have not eliminated anything from their diet. Learning how to eat pasta in the correct amounts is freeing. YMMV
  • didknot226
    didknot226 Posts: 19 Member
    Hello I am new. I am following a 1200 calorie life style. That's what I call it :). The plan I am doing is working great so far. Very simple
  • bigfatguy13088
    bigfatguy13088 Posts: 21 Member
    After trying the massive deficit approach, and subsequently finding myself ravenously hungry every day, i switched to eating my regular calories and having my cardio be my deficit. Im much happier as a result
  • didknot226
    didknot226 Posts: 19 Member
    Being hungry means you will lose weight. Keep going and sacrifice the pasta :)
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Don't get in the mindset that you have to only eat salads and plain chicken every single day. I have seen so many people who decide to lose weight and think that's all they can eat. Experiment with flavors. Just because you need to eat healthier doesn't mean it has to be bland. There is so much you can eat. I prefer making my own but that's my personal choice.

Fat and carbs aren't enemies unless there is a health condition preventing you from eating them. Olive oil is a good fat. High fiber foods help you feel full. Unless you're allergic or have trouble with control, no food is good nor bad per se. Yes, I can eat more if I choose lean meats and veggies instead of fast food but it doesn't mean fast food is bad. You can still eat it and lose weight.

If you have a bad day, don't throw it all away. It's not all or nothing. If you have a bad day, shake it off; call it what it is and make the next day better!

Use a food scale. I bought one of those velveeta skillet kits. The box has a portion as 1 cup. Well, you can pack a lot in a measuring cup. I used my food scale and holy crap, that was the saddest serving of food I've seen in a long time. Also, read labels. Most people assume a package of ramen noodles for example is one serving. Nope it's two.

Listen to your body.

That's my tips aka advice. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited October 2016
    ariela569 wrote: »
    Hi all

Just embarked on this journey. Does any one have tips, advise, recepies for a strong start. 20lb' to lose..

If you are 20 lbs or less overweight set your goal to a half pound a week rate of loss.
    Log everything as accurately as you can. Check that the entries you use are correct. Get a digital food scale and use it. When you don't have much to lose accuracy in logging can make a big difference.
    Prelog your food for the day. It has been very helpful for me to do this to make choices.
    Meet your calorie goal, protein goal and eat several servings of vegetables and fruits a day. Protein, fats, and fiber usually help people feel more satisfied. Eat food you like and learn appropriate portion sizes.
    Pair smaller portions of higher calorie foods with larger portions of lower calorie foods like vegetables.
    If you exercise- log it and eat some of your exercise calories.
    I drink water or unsweetened tea and save my calories for food. I don't find drinking my calories to be satisfying.
  • meeshymoosh
    meeshymoosh Posts: 23 Member
    Apparently there's two schools of thought being argued here, but we're missing the point:

People can eat "clean" and lose weight and be happy and feel great and satisfied.

People can eat "whatever" and lose weight and be happy and feel great and satisfied.

The basics are to log your food accurately, stay hydrated, pick a calorie goal that works for you in the long term, and an eating schedule that makes you feel good.

The semantics of delicious pasta versus something healthful as a veggie substitution like delicious spaghetti squash is ridiculous and a bit alarming. I'm not a big fan of cauliflower rice, but I'm not going to comment on someone giving an (asked for) opinion using words like "yuck", "not necessary", "why????" for suggesting something definitely more nutrient dense than white rice. Yes, you can lose weight eating both. Let's be supportive.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Apparently there's two schools of thought being argued here, but we're missing the point:

People can eat "clean" and lose weight and be happy and feel great and satisfied.

People can eat "whatever" and lose weight and be happy and feel great and satisfied.

The basics are to log your food accurately, stay hydrated, pick a calorie goal that works for you in the long term, and an eating schedule that makes you feel good.

The semantics of delicious pasta versus something healthful as a veggie substitution like delicious spaghetti squash is ridiculous and a bit alarming. I'm not a big fan of cauliflower rice, but I'm not going to comment on someone giving an (asked for) opinion using words like "yuck", "not necessary", "why????" for suggesting something definitely more nutrient dense than white rice. Yes, you can lose weight eating both. Let's be supportive.

Yes it is true that people may take different paths to get the same results and that the most important thing is to find something that works for any individual. However....

There is rampant misinformation about weight loss propagated by clickbait articles, diet gurus trying to sell a book, regular media and social media which tell people they HAVE to give up certain things in order to lose weight. In fact, the post that everyone got so worked up about here gave a series of numbered instructions as if they are the gospel, which included many of these so called myths like "must give up processed foods" and "watch fruit content" and "don't eat creamy salad dressings". The only things missing in that list were "don't eat after 7pm" and "don't eat any white foods" to complete the Unnecessary Diet Advice Manifesto.

Commenting on posts such as that, which make it sound like these things are must do's and letting the OP (and others lurking who aren't participating in the thread) know that those are not requirements, that there are other ways, is being supportive to the OP. Weight loss is hard enough without having a lot of arbitrary rules and directives that people feel they must adhere to in order to be successful.

That said, I'm glad that particular poster has found something that works for her, but many of those things are not required - specifically giving up processed foods, pasta, and creamy salad dressings and being wary of fruit (unless there is a medical reason to restrict sugars or you are allergic to strawberries as I am). I lost >30 lbs and am healthier than I've ever been, not because I cut certain things out, but because I added things to my life. More vegetables, more protein, more whole grains, more exercise, more sleep. I eat plenty of processed foods (microwave Special K flatbread breakfast sandwich this morning and a frozen meal for lunch with extra chicken added) and haven't cut out pasta. I do sometimes use my spiralizer to add zucchini/squash noodles to my pasta for extra veggie volume though!

So yes I agree with you, that people can eat whatever way they choose, be healthy, happy, and lose weight!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    didknot226 wrote: »
    Being hungry means you will lose weight. Keep going and sacrifice the pasta :)

That sounds miserable and unsustainable. I lost weight and never felt hungry. I also never sacrificed the pasta, or anything else for that matter.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    I've gotten a lot of flack in the past for advocating the 1200 calories/day plan. However, it really does work well for me, and for the most part, I'm not super hungry. Mildly hungry right before a meal, but that's about it. I also don't really eat until I have a light lunch at 1p, and then I eat most of my calories in the evening, so I really don't feel deprived :) I even have a glass of wine/cocktail each day.

Eat what makes you happy and what makes you feel good - just keep it in your calorie goal.

Oh. I also am dealing with a broken foot at the moment, which is my primary reason for keeping my calories low. I'm still losing - I will probably bump it back up to 1350 once my foot heals and I can workout again.