Orange Theory Fitness

Options
Hey all, I just started last week going to orange theory fitness, and I think I like it (and hate it, too). Yesterday I got 40 splat points so I notice it really helps me push myself. Anyway, does anyone else go? How often do you go and how have your results been? (not just weight loss, but gaining strength and endurance, too)

It's not magic, obviously, but I think the combination of group class but sort of on your own might be the right combo for me. What do you guys think?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I prefer traditional lifting regimen, so not for me. From what I have seen and read it sounds a little faddy to me..but if it is working for you then go for it...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I start next week! Been waiting for them to finish building the one in my town and finally the pre-opening is about to happen! I go to a regular gym too so this is just a supplement - but I really am looking forward to it!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i love orange theory. i can't afford it anymore so i just gaze longingly at the building when i drive by.
  • WM916
    WM916 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm really tempted to go to the unlimited - I'm at the two a week right now. I'll probably give it at least this month and see how I feel about increasing the workouts. They're everywhere here (the first one was opened in south Florida where I am) and this one has been open at least a couple years. I just never tried it.

To the person who said its a fad...I mean, fad workouts aren't the same as fad diets, yknow? It's literally just cardio and weights so if anything, it's nothing new or different but I find that reassuring. No quick fixes. It does force you to make sure you're pushing yourself in the workout and helps me show up. (so far!) My guess is it's like all types of exercise though -- whatever you'll actually do, works best.

And fuselighter, that's cool they track your measurements. I like that!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it till right now but If you can't tell me the price up front, then it's definitely not worth it. JS.
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ive seen one near me I was curious to know the price as well. Does anyone mind sharing how much the unlimited is? Thanks
  • WM916
    WM916 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Near me, I think the unlimited is $169/month. I'm doing the 8 classes per month for $109. I think there's a 4 pack for $69? And if you go over the 8 per month it's $18/class. That's all I can remember off the top of my head and they may not be totally accurate. The first class is free to try it out.

Not sure if this is the price everywhere. Prob a lot more in NYC.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    WM916 wrote: »
    Near me, I think the unlimited is $169/month. I'm doing the 8 classes per month for $109. I think there's a 4 pack for $69? And if you go over the 8 per month it's $18/class. That's all I can remember off the top of my head and they may not be totally accurate. The first class is free to try it out.

Not sure if this is the price everywhere. Prob a lot more in NYC.

I saw some places were $159 for unlimited.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I got in on a presale deal by signing up before the club was open but it is $89 for 8 classes a month. The unlimited was $129.
  • Mike32003
    Mike32003 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started OT last week and love it. When I workout by myself, I find that I don't push myself like I do in groups. I've done misc boot camps myself in the past, and always found that I prefer groups. Plus I like the simplicity of walking in and having someone else determine my workout for me. There's no way to slack. I also like the accountability. Working out on my own, I'm only accountable to myself. However being accountable to show up to the session I booked previously gives me that extra little motivation I need. For the $99-$149 it's money well spent in my opinion!
  • LMCisko
    LMCisko Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been going for 3 weeks now and I did the 8 classes per month package (which I've already used). I do the 5am classes and I've found that I'm still getting up and going to the gym when I'm not going to classes. I was a bit intimidated to go, but I've really liked it. I definitely push myself harder in a group setting and being able to see on a screen exactly how hard I am pushing is a great gut-check. I will be updating my membership to unlimited for next month. My 8 classes were $99 and to go to unlimited only $139 as I get a discount through my company. A bit pricey but worth the investment to stay motivated and get in better shape.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Too rich for my blood. I'll just keep my gym membership.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just realise the weight portion of the program is really just cardio...you aren't building muscle. It is also a recipe for injury as they don't (at least not where I went) correct form. I would cringe watching people flail around weights just to be quicker to get to the next station/exercise. In the end, too expensive for what it offered me, personally, to reach my goals.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    That is waaaay too much for the same stuff I can do at my own gym, PLUS using things like a pool, spinning classes, etc. I'll keep my $30/mo membership thank you.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've taken Orange Theory and while it didn't leave me a fan I do agree with you about the combo of on your own and group exercise classes being a good one. I find that works well for me. As far as price that's relative to the individual. It's boutique fitness so the price point doesn't shock me.
  • Kvm11628
    Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
    Options
    I am starting next month. I live at a boarding school and I have free access to the gym here, but the rules are funky in that I can't be in the gym by myself. I like to workout really early so I have one workout partner, but she is unreliable. My schedule is such that it is really hard to go later in the day. So, after moving here, I have gone from 6 workouts a week to 3-4 and I am seeing a difference. I hate it.

The closest gym to me is $120 a month and the owner is a tool, so I don't want to sign up. That's when I found Orangetheory. It is 5 minutes away. I am going to do the 8 class a month for a few months to try it out. I figure I will do the Tuesday/Thursday 5:30 AM class and then hit the gym here with my workout buddy at least 2 days a week, plus the weekends. I think OT will be a good supplement and switch things up for me.

It IS expensive, but if I get results, it will be worth it to me.