Improving Fitness for Mental Health

Options
quinngetsshredded
quinngetsshredded Posts: 16 Member
edited October 2016 in Motivation and Support
Is anyone else currently trying to improve their exercise/diet habits to help with depression, anxiety, or anything else?

It's a bit difficult to motivate myself to keep at it so I'm looking for people in similar situations. :)

Replies

• PurplePamplemousse
    Options
    Yes!
    I've battled depression and anxiety for a long time, and I'm hoping my current get-healthier efforts will improve things for me, as well as help with my fatigue and low immune system.
  • she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    she_lived_wholly_forevermore Posts: 179 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Me unfortunately. I deal with several different letters as I like to put it. I find it helps tremendously. Once you get a schedule going and stick to it you will be able to really notice the difference and it will help you to want to keep with it even more.
  • quinngetsshredded
    quinngetsshredded Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that while my energy levels haven't improved, they haven't dipped at all as a result of the exercise– which is something I was worried about happening, at least initially.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have bipolar disorder (type 1). Years before I was diagnosed I recognised that eating a clean diet and exercising helped keep me stable.

The last 3 1/2 yrs have been quite tough mental health wise and I have been on a range of mood stabilisers and other psychiatric medications that have caused weight gain and interfered with my ability to exercise in certain ways.

Ironically, the weight gain etc has a negative effect on my mental health,

I'm currently on lithium, which is non negotiable for me to take (a year ago I was over the weight gain so I stopped it. Ended up hospitalised for 3 weeks. Almost lost my job and my family).

The lithium has caused me to gain weight, makes it hard to exercise and has interfered with my thyroid function (again making it hard to lose weight).

Anyway, blah blah blah ...

Yes I'm eating well and exercising for mental health reasons just as much as physical fitness.

Feel free to add me as a friend (anyone here, not just the OP).
  • kaydensmom2009
    kaydensmom2009 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    History of bipolar, anxiety, substance abuse. Exercise and having a healthy weight helps with all of these things but definitely easier said then done.

I struggled with mental health issues since I was a pre-teen but used to self medicate with alcohol and drugs. Been in recovery for over 7 years and since then have used food for comfort on and off. Since being in recovery I have gained 65 pounds, I did lose it all at one point and was the healthiest I had been fitness wise, which also made me the happiest I have been but gAined it all back after at a very stressful time of uncertainty in my life.

Now this past year of my life has been the most unstable, bipolar wise where I have felt the lowest that I have ever felt. I recently started on new medication and am already starting to feel more stable so I'm starting to incorporate small changes of healthiness into my lifestyle. I do struggle to get motivated and am really just trying to push myself and to stop comparing myself to my past and everyone else because that really discourages me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I have some general anxiety issues and regular exercise has helped immensely.
  • trudiebamford
    trudiebamford Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've battled anxiety/depression since I was a child - my first (and biggest) suicide attempt was at age 12. My parents didn't seek help for me - I wish they had. I went on antidepressants about 8 years ago; for some of us, they mean life or death. I do okay in the summer, but plummet down in winter. But exercise plays a HUGE part in helping me stay on top of it all. This is why I prioritise cardio (although I do lift weights twice a week to try to maintain my muscle mass), because that's what helps me. As long as I exercise, and use a lightbox in the winter, I'm okay.
  • nehaad88
    nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have obsessive tendency (self diagnosed, not clinical) which makes me overthink and overanalyse everything and further pushes me in depression. working out helps me block the overanalysis and use my energy more productively..
  • Stimorous
    Stimorous Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's definitely why I'm here. I just got out of a nightmare of a depressive episode and I'm trying to get that jump start and improve my view of my body while I'm at it.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression and I notice that my daily walk definitely improves my overall well being. I walk home from work and it helps ALOT to deal with my stress levels... walking relieves my stress of the hectic work day.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I also love walking to calm the mind. Swimming is also great. I've heard that more strenuous cardio exercise could also be beneficial for mental health.
  • ChelsLynneD
    ChelsLynneD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Definitely me. Would love to have some friends on here that are in the same boat, so anyone can feel free to add me.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder. My medication works miracles on the crazy, but gives me the munchies. I'm here to get that under control through keeping a food diary and also get to a healthier weight. I do notice adding diet and exercise to medication and a good nights sleep, does make me feel much better. I have no friends yet, so feel free to add me.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Depression was my main motivation when I started. Now I'm reaping lots of other benefits as well improved mood.
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    To help with my depression, anxiety, and adhd. Yes. Also, I'm trying to get my body to give in and go on a normal sleeping schedule, since every day i am exhausted.
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else currently trying to improve their exercise/diet habits to help with depression, anxiety, or anything else?

It's a bit difficult to motivate myself to keep at it so I'm looking for people in similar situations. :)

ME :)
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    *Waving over here*

Me - dealing with anxiety, depression and Auto-immune disorders and chronic pain. The Lupus has certainly made its impact felt with exhaustion and my highly negative response to UV so my main form of exercise, hard, long walks is now out of the question.

I've basically been able to maintain my weight despite being on steroids and now my Thyroid doing a hyper number on me (God the anxiety is shocking from this) through very careful logging but I have had to go back onto anti-depressants now...I'm just too tired and worn out from battling this on my own.

I have decided finally to employ a P. Trainer and join the gym...maybe that will help. I hope it does.

Wishing every one of those on here who has these difficulties all the best. You are all Champions.
  • assilem_2003
    assilem_2003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm interested- I've battled with this app for so long... I've never wanted to add people because my depression tells me that they will only see that my fat self can't succeed so I tend to give up.
  • PNWBethany
    PNWBethany Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm interested- I've battled with this app for so long... I've never wanted to add people because my depression tells me that they will only see that my fat self can't succeed so I tend to give up.

<3<3<3<3<3
    I've been there, too, with oodles of negative self-talk. Please feel free to add me. I most definitely will not be thinking of you that way! :)
  • PNWBethany
    PNWBethany Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have clinically diagnosed anxiety and depression. I definitely am on here, eating well (trying to), and exercising to improve my mental health. Stabilizing my moods is a major reason for exercising....a more important reason for me than the 40 lbs I am trying to lose . (It was gained over a period of 2.5 years due to medication, total lack of self-care, and a job that produced crushing anxiety for me.)

You are all welcome to add me - I'd really like to have more connections on here, especially people who also have mental health concerns. <3<3<3