Have you taken your body weight scale or food scale with you when traveling?

Options
Hi--I'm just curious how many people here have done this (or would)? I have been losing weight for 3 months, and I've skipped weighing in for two days at a time here and there. But soon I'll be going out of town (visiting family, not a true vacation) for about 10 or 12 days, and I feel like I'd like to at least have my body weight scale with me. We're traveling by car so it's not really that cumbersome to bring along. Or does that sound silly?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I never have, but your question just reminded me that when I was a kid the local Publix store had a huge body-weight scale in the front of the store. My family didn't have a body-weight scale, so we would jump on that thing whenever we thought about it. None of us were overweight back then though.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but this morning after weighing myself, I am thinking about it. It just adds weight to the baggage, dang it. However, bringing my food scale along is a great idea! We will visit the IL in December and my MIL is a *fantastic* cook - I think it will be worth it :)
  • she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    I did take my foodscale with me when I visited family for almost 3 weeks. We did a lot of eating out but because I used my scale when I could and stayed moderately active I actually lost a smidge during that time. I plan to do so again when I visit this summer although I hope to be in maintenance at that point so the food scale will be exceptionally important.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I use a AWS Blade scale, it fits in the pocket. It's useful when eating out, because half the time they don't serve you portions to match their nutrition info.
  • quinngetsshredded
    quinngetsshredded Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would bring the food scale

At this point I'd say just eyeball it. Chances are you have a good idea how much is a typical amount of typical foods; just try to keep smaller portions in mind.

As for the weight scale: I definitely wouldn't. (Daily fluctuations happen)
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have a joseph joseph food scale that I keep in my purse. It doesn't get used a lot, but I do use it to measure fountain sodas. I'm not good at estimating with the ice in the cup, so I use the scale. Its helpful since soda is so calorie dense.
  • CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    No to the body weight scale, but yes to the food scale. Going 10-12 days without weighing yourself will not make a difference to your progress. However, not logging properly and knowing how much you are consuming will make a difference.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    I never have. If I was going somewhere for a week or longer and would be doing my own cooking I might consider it. Or if I was at my mom's maybe. If not I would just make my best guesses and try to eat moderate portions.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    OP here--thanks for the responses! I am going to my mom's to visit. I think for me, I can fairly easily estimate portions and be okay (did that for two months losing weight before I bought a food scale), but it's the bathroom scale I think I would miss more. I feel like it keeps me in check. I'll probably wind up taking both since they'll pack easily. I have gone for two days without either, but 12 days...I don't know! OTOH, my mom does have a bathroom scale, it's just not a great one.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I would take it if I were going to visit family. They probably won't judge you or be offended, right? If it were a weekend, I'd say no, but for 10-12 days I think you won't want to risk being too out of the habits when you return.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I was answering for the food scale.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I take my food scale when we go away to villas with full kitchens. Why not?
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Body weight scale-Never. Weight fluctuates anyways, especially if sodium intake increases while away from home, and a body weight scale doesn't play an "active" role in the CI part of the equation.
    Food scale- Definitely. I do guess at serving sizes here and there, but if continuing to weigh out food for just a second or two will keep the weight off while I am traveling, then weigh food I will.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    yup. took my body weight scales on holiday this year. my husband rolled his eyes but i packed them anyway.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes.... both body weight and food scales. My son & daughter-in-law laughed like hyena's.. however while away my son hopped on the scale and that stopped him laughing!
    A while back I bought a food scale that is small enough to keep in my handbag. The same kids laughed at that too and asked if I was dealing.... cheeky buggers! My answer... only deal in food!
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    How about learning to practice healthy portions?