To use exercise calories or not?

Options
Hi, I'm new to here. Just wondered if I should add my exercise calories to my total or not? What do others do?
I would also like to know if anyone set their weightloss to 0.5lbs s week and if this works??
Thanks for your help

Replies

• need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to here. Just wondered if I should add my exercise calories to my total or not? What do others do?
    I would also like to know if anyone set their weightloss to 0.5lbs s week and if this works??
    Thanks for your help

A lot of people here will say to count half of the exercise calories or none at all because it's very easy to overcalculate how many calories you are actually burning even if you wear a HRM. I think my fitbit measures accurately enough for my daily expenditure but it's crap when it comes to measuring calorie burn during exercise. It bases its calorie count on steps taken. I have a chest strap HRM that is a little more accurate, but still, it can over calculate.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You have to figure out what works for your situation. Most people agree that only counting 50 - 75% of exercise calories works. Make sure not to go under 1200 kcal a day, no matter what. Adjust every 2 - 3 weeks as needed.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    1/2 pound a week will absolutely work and is a great way to start as long as you track your food properly. Patience is key. Eat back 1/2 until you get a feel for what works and adjust accordingly.
  • samanthaswales
    samanthaswales Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok that's great thanks. I have no intention of going under 1200 calories a day!! I'm currently on 1750 and that's an effort. I must be used to eating a lot!!!
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will try adding half my exercise calories to my total and see what happens.
    I'm still eating less than I would normaly.