Macros?

Options
Hey everyone!

I am learning how to use Fitness pal and im interested in knowing how to figure my macros and amount of calories I need to intake to lose weight (2lbs per week).
Ive heard to go with 30% fat 30% carbs 40% protein.... is this correct? I am 30 years old, female, 190lbs, 5'3, had a baby a year ago and im NOT breastfeeding now. I need help shedding this weight! Help!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Macro distribution is going to differ from person to person. Why don't you try the default set up that MFP has right now and see what it does for you?

As long as you keep at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

Get a food scale to log accurately.
  • avffva
    avffva Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It automatically sets me at 1200 calories but im not sure that gives me enough room to continue losing later on. When i did the calculator it says 1525 is how many calories id need to consume to lose 2lbs per week.... and MFP says 1200. I just want to be correct so my body doesnt go in freak out mode at 1200.. lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    avffva wrote: »
    It automatically sets me at 1200 calories but im not sure that gives me enough room to continue losing later on. When i did the calculator it says 1525 is how many calories id need to consume to lose 2lbs per week.... and MFP says 1200. I just want to be correct so my body doesnt go in freak out mode at 1200.. lol.

Most online TDEE calculators either include exercise as part of the equation (where MFP doesn't which requires you to eat back exercise calories). Personally, I would start at 1500 and swap the percentages for carbs and protein. Track progress for 4-6 weeks and adjust calories from there.

Also, faster isn't always better. But if you choose a faster weight loss goal (which I would not suggest), then you should lift weights to help preserve some muscle mass.
  • avffva
    avffva Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok i will try it! That sounds like a fair idea... so, just to clarify, I AM suppose to eat back my exercise calories when using MFP, or no?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ok i will try it! That sounds like a fair idea... so, just to clarify, I AM suppose to eat back my exercise calories when using MFP, or no?

Personally, I find the TDEE method more pleasurable. I don't like the idea of chasing exercise calories and I don't like basing it on estimated calories burned. I would rather eat the same calories daily (makes the math more simple) and adjusting from there. So I would do 1500, 40/30/30 (c/f/p) and track calories for 4-6 weeks. Also, if you don't have one already, get a food scale to ensure accuracy.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    OP, how much do you have to lose? Maybe 2lbs/week is too aggressive a goal for you if it is telling you 1200 calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

yes, you want to net 1200 calories. So if you burn 200 then you eat 1400 - 200 burned = 1200 net..

I prefer the TDEE method myself.

also, calorie burns estimates tend to be off on the high side, so you should really only eat back half of your estimated burn ...so in the example above you eat 1300 - 100 burned = 1200 net.

You may also want to consider going for 1.5 pound per week lost and that would give you about 1450 daily calories...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I am learning how to use Fitness pal and im interested in knowing how to figure my macros and amount of calories I need to intake to lose weight (2lbs per week).
    Ive heard to go with 30% fat 30% carbs 40% protein.... is this correct? I am 30 years old, female, 190lbs, 5'3, had a baby a year ago and im NOT breastfeeding now. I need help shedding this weight! Help!

There is no "correct"...macro ratios are an individualized thing. The split you mention is pretty common though and is known as "the zone diet." If you put your stats into this calculator, it will calculate a calorie goal based on your stated goals and give you a default macro ratio...you can change that if you like or leave it...

My advice would be to focus on calories first...those are what matter to weight loss...your macros are going to impact performance, recovery, composition, etc...don't really have a whole lot to do with losing weight though.