Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I can't see the link on my cell phone. :(
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's a short 30min program mainly about people who live in wales. It doesn't really go in depth just skims the surface. He is trying to challenge government guidelines and goes LCHF for 3 weeks. It's ok but nothing special.
  • steveglloyd73
    steveglloyd73 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I thought it was very interesting especially his test results at the end!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    louise5779 wrote: »
    It's a short 30min program mainly about people who live in wales. It doesn't really go in depth just skims the surface. He is trying to challenge government guidelines and goes LCHF for 3 weeks. It's ok but nothing special.

3 weeks low carb? 3 weeks?

What a ridiculous premise
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Low carb strips glycogen and water weight, the majority in first couple of weeks

OK I've watched the first 10 minutes, what an irritating programme. For some reason making out like govt guidelines stress high carb (they don't) or that a young cardiologist who advises meditteranean diet is championing the low carb diet he's gone on

Also based on Zoe Harcombe's recommendation (she's made a fortune out of selling her diet book and site) of low carb at 25g that's 125g lower than general low carb and far lower than traditional meditteranean and at odds with the cardiologists approach . It vaguely annoyed me that she was referred to as Dr without it being made clear that's she's not a medic but a PhD, I think it was the juxtaposition between two cardiologist segments really
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Cardiologist 2 telling him "losing weight is not impossible you can lose weight on any diet but sustainability and weight maintenance is key "

First thing I agree wholeheartedly with
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    It's a really really poorly constructed programme ..designed to put "govt. policy" as the bad guy "official dietary guidelines making us fatter" pushed in every few segments..cos repetition makes it stick ..

It's not groundbreaking...it would have been 20-30 years ago to be honest ...this message has been slammed home for decades to the point that actually you must drop carbs is what we constantly rail against on these boards

If low carb suits you and is sustainable long term then go for it, it doesn't discount eating fewer calories than you burn..it falls within it ..the general satiety of high fat high protein means you reduce calories, the omission of highly calorific, highly palatable easily obtainable treats like biscuits, cakes, crisps, juices, alcohol etc reduces calories

Low carbohydrate is a way of eating
    Low carbohydrate is below 150g
    Low carb is a fair enough route

the reason there is an obesity crisis is people don't
    They don't eat less forever
    They don't stay active forever
    They don't look long term and for life
    They don't care about research really...not unless they have an interest, they care what they've just read or their mate has told them

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I watched it. It was OK, very similar to other programmes of that nature. I'd like to have seen something longer and more in depth.

And I do get fed up with low carb always being shown as eating loads of steak, bacon and eggs, etc. I've never eaten like that on low carb.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It wasn't bad. Not great. The premise makes sense to me. They discussed how past national advice to replace fats with starchy carbs may have been flawed. It's looking into dietary guidelines that the country is considering.

His doctor being concerned about his lipids was a laugh. Plus she was just looking at total cholesterol. Very 90s. Saying "its' got to short term" shows her ignorance.

Then the next doctor says high fat is dangerous and a waste of time. Something to be discouraged.... Doesn't give any reasons to back it up though except that one should eat low fat and count calories. Never says why low fat is better, although I do agree that most will need to count calories.

The host is right. The medical establishment doesn't want to buy in that LCHF could help (some people).

They stated the dietary guidelines to replace fats with carbs has caused the obesity epidemic. That was more definate than it should be. It correlates but the sole cause? I don't know.

I do agree that the government doesn't need to be telling us what to eat. pPeople are so different. How can one guideline fit us all perfectly? Especially when their advice is based on so little.... Although it is supposed to be based on the best minds and excellent science. It falls short.

After 3 weeks, the host went from 94 to 88kg and his total choletseol went down..... And his doctor still wouldn't admit a LCHF diet helped him. LOL

This video highlights people stubborness and unwillingness to accept that LCHF is not dangerous or evil, nevermind that it can be a healthy (even healthier) choice for many people.No preaching that everyone should be LCHF.

It's an okay video. You can't get a lot of information in a half hour program though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F8qXxjdh-4