HRM Question!

ladyluck4210
ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
edited 5:49PM in Fitness and Exercise
So I'm most likely getting a HRM this week! I have a few ideas on which one to get, but my question is: Is the wrist band HRM sufficient? And if anyone wants to throw in what HRM they use I'll take it! Also, if you could include where you bought yours that would be great! I'm trying to find one that I don't have to order online but I can't seem to find a decent one in the store.

Thanks!
Becki :-)

Replies

• girbitta
    girbitta Posts: 9 Member
    I have the Polar FT4 with chest monitor and I LOVE IT!! I actually bought it in Target, in most cases, it should be in store item.
    It gives me very accurate numbers and also works with the equipment in my local gym :)
  • mariasheehan
    mariasheehan Posts: 335
    Hi there, I have a Polar FT4, it has a chest strap that goes around your chest (obviously :0) and then a wrist watch. Mine cost about 93 dollars in Target and I LOVE it. It's very reliable also.
  • ZoeMJ
    ZoeMJ Posts: 10
    I also have the Polar FT4. I bought mine at Academy.
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    I have the polar ft7 and got it at Sears on clearance for 69$ I LOVE it!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    A wrist band HRM will probably frustrate you more than help you..I would suggest one with a cheststrap. I have the Polar FT7 and it has been by far the best purchase this year related to fitness
  • Suzeesmu
    Suzeesmu Posts: 159 Member
    I also have the Polar FT4, got it at Sears for $79. I love it. It takes into account height, weight, gender in helping calculate, works with gym equipment and also in the pool. Seems very accurate and is comfortable. Good luck!
  • QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    polar ft4 target has a chest strap very comfortable and I'm still a big gal
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Thanks ladies! I may just go and pick it up tonight! I've heard so much good stuff about the Polar ft4 so I'm going to look for that!
  • BohemianDestiny
    BohemianDestiny Posts: 47 Member
    I also have the Polar FT4 with chest strap. ^^ Its been a wonderful tool and has kept super accurate numbers for me.

If you are going to spend the money on a HRM, get one with a chest strap. They are the most accurate. Also, Polar is probably the best brand out there and the FT4 (which is made for women) comes with a chest monitor included (at least where I bought it it did.) It came with a warranty and everything. I bought mine at a shop called Body Basic. I don't know if you have one of those near you or not. However, most fitness stores probably carry it.

Hope this helps! :)
    ~Rose
  • bell33usx2
    bell33usx2 Posts: 77 Member
    I know this may seem like a silly question but what is the benefit of a heart rate monitor? Maybe I'm not far enough along in my exercise to understand. :/
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    I have a Polar ft7 and I love it. My husband bought it online for me but I have seen it at Sears and Target.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    I know this may seem like a silly question but what is the benefit of a heart rate monitor? Maybe I'm not far enough along in my exercise to understand. :/

With a HRM you get a more accurate idea of how many calories you have burned as the heart rate reflects intensity.

The Calorific values on here for exercise whilst a good guide, are at best a guess.
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Hi,

I have posted this message in the past, but I am a big fan of Polar (one of their Ambassadors) and they have a wonderful line of HRM's for proper HR Zone training! I have been using their products for about a year and a half.

I started with (and most recommend) the FT7 - about $90 to $105, but after 8 months, I graduated to the FT80, which gave me GPS, Fitness Tests (VO2max), a visual display of my HR, Strength Training detail (add you entire lifting routine into the watch) and a great online community that supports me through challenges (uploading through a Flow Link accessory). I use it for the elliptical, tennis and weight lifting.

Online the FT80 lists at $349. I have seen it as low as $250 (with a Flow Link) at heartratemonitorusa.com.

See the results:

http://www.polar.fi/en/polar_community/polar_people/Andrew

Polar also has a really great line of basic HR monitors. The FT4 (about $70 online) will count your calories and store the info. When you step up to the FT 7, FT40 FT60 & FT80 they can all upload results to polarpersonaltrainer.com...each adds a feature up the line and you should select a monitor that matches your lifestyle/budget.

See their website:

http://www.polar.fi/en/
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Amazon usually has great prices for the Polar FT4.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Amazon usually has great prices for the Polar FT4.

I just got my FT4 for $60 on Amazon
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    I wonder if a ladies HRM would fit my wrist....
This discussion has been closed.