Tips for keeping strength while cutting BF%

Options
Hey guys, first post on MFP. I have always been to the gym off and on but seriosuly committed last week and have dropped 4lbs or more depending in fluctuation. I put all my stats into MFP and abide by the calorie limit it gave me. Seems to be working so far.

I am on a stationary bike for at least half an hour in the morning and two/three times a week will put in some weights at night. So my question is, what's the best way to track my BF%, and what can I do to keep from hitting a fat loss plateau when this initial burn stops? Also any specific foods I should be consuming? All sodas and candy have been cut, no potato chips, and I intake large amounts of organic foods. Thanks!

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Just track your calories and eat at a deficit. Eat what you want beyond that. Hit your individual macro goals if you can, that'll help keep your muscle's both energized and in good shape. As far as tracking your body fat %, try a set of calipers, you can find them under $20 on Amazon. Don't expect it to drop quickly. Took me about five months to drop 2% body fat once I hit my goal weight. As far as keeping your muscle mass, keep your protein levels up (I choose 1g/lb of my body weight, but you can go lower if you feel that works for you). I stay at maintenance calories or slightly below and just keep on pushing my normal workout routine. It's slow and tedious to get your body fat down unless you're willing to stay at a huge deficit and lose muscle along with the fat. I've worked hard to gain the muscle I have now, and want to gain more, so I refuse to eat at much of a deficit right now. But because of all the exercise and strength training I am still slowly gaining muscle and dropping body fat. It's just taking a long long time.
  • flipflopfridays6071
    Options
    Getting enough protein is key. 1g/lb is a good target for a guy looking to drop BF while maintaining lean muscle. You can always increase cardio. Calipers are the easy way to go for frequently/regularly measuring BF. If you can find a place that does hydrostatic BF testing, give that a try. It's more accurate than calipers but be warned...you feel like you are going to drown!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Eating foods labeled "organic" doesn't do anything for weight loss, fat loss or anything else. Neither do any other foods. Just watch your calories and macros, in particular make sure you are getting enough protein. I always lose strength when I'm eating at a large enough deficit. Unless you have a specific reason to keep a certain strength I wouldn't worry about it too much, whatever you can lift is still giving you the results you're after. Strength gains or losses don't equal muscle gains or losses.
  • HurricaneForce1
    HurricaneForce1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Eating foods labeled "organic" doesn't do anything for weight loss, fat loss or anything else. Neither do any other foods. Just watch your calories and macros, in particular make sure you are getting enough protein. I always lose strength when I'm eating at a large enough deficit. Unless you have a specific reason to keep a certain strength I wouldn't worry about it too much, whatever you can lift is still giving you the results you're after. Strength gains or losses don't equal muscle gains or losses.

Oh for sure organic doesn't mean anything special to weight loss. Was just mentioning that I'm on a cleaner diet. Any suggestions on how to get enough protein but maintain a good deficit? Noticing that many protein shakes and supplements are super calorie dense.

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Personally, I use calipers for body fat. Some pooh-pooh it but calipers have absolutely worked for me with consistency (I measure once a week) showing the measurements have been pretty accurate.

As for a plateau, one way to break it can be to increase calories for a bit- ("reverse dieting") maybe 80-100 a week... and see where that leads. Again, personally, I plateaued at 2300 calories (for months... we're not talking a couple weeks) and began adding a small amount every week. Busted the weight loss plateau, actually decreased body fat and dropped on the scale. Was still at a deficit, but not as drastic. Worked for me, anyway.

As for foods- foods that meet your caloric goals and energy requirements. If that's 160g protein, then your usual go-to protein sources will do. If it's 150g carbs, any carb source will do (with an eye on nutrition, of course) as long as you're in your caloric goals/needs.

If your protein shakes are calorie dense, they're probably more meal replacements. If you want to supplement protein, hit 90% ish protein content- that's usually in the neighborhood of 24-26g protein with very little, if any, fats and carbs and 110-ish calories.

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Oh for sure organic doesn't mean anything special to weight loss. Was just mentioning that I'm on a cleaner diet. Any suggestions on how to get enough protein but maintain a good deficit? Noticing that many protein shakes and supplements are super calorie dense.

Simple, lean meats. It doesn't matter if they run, fly, or swim.