Since I started tracking my food I have learned...

Options

Replies

• jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    Soooo much! One that opened my eyes a lot was...that my favorite fast food breakfast burrito had almost a full days worth of calories and enough sodium to choke a horse! Thankfully, I have found much more nutritional options and more satisfying too! That's a switch I am glad to make!!
  • lindat26
    lindat26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    even when i think i know what i am eating and i do not track it, i still mis-judge my portions. i love this site! :flowerforyou:
  • eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Since beginning to track my food, I've learned I can adjust to things that I thought were impossible to face before.
    1. I now drink my coffee black instead of with cream and sugar. It still gives me a little coffee kick, but I drink less and eliminate the calories/fat/sugar of the cream and sugar.
    2. I drink water at every meal and can't remember what I used to drink at meals before.
    3. Diet Coke is disgusting. So is mayonnaise and ranch dressing. These tastes (or dis-tastes, I guess?) I developed in learning to eat better.
    4. Veggies are
    5. Whole wheat bread is great.
    6. Don't have cookies or chips in the house or I will eat them. And it's ok to eat them from time to time, but not all the time.
    7. Veggies are great. They add volume and taste.
    8. FRUIT!!! Yum. And really keeps things moving. HeeHee
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Not all salad is created equal and just because its lettuce doesn't mean it's "good for you". Today I was at a playdate full of pizza's and Chinese Salad from Costco. I plugged in a serving of salad to see the nutrition facts: 2/3 of a cup and 375 calories. Pass!
  • LadyByrd77
    LadyByrd77 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have learned that my sodium intake is too high!
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Salads from restaurants are not always the best choice. In Red Robin there is a salad with more than a 1,000 calories yikes.
    I learned that the treats I used to have like milkshakes, and desserts from restaurants aren't worth my calories. Even if I save enough calories I'd rather skip the strawberry frappucino from starbucks. (450 calories, 68g sugar).
  • dylanco
    dylanco Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've learned:

1. I can have 4 small meals a day for weight loss.

2. I have the innate capacity to eat more than my daily allowance of calories as carbohydrate-laden snacks in the evening -- in addition to 3 meals a day. In response, I've increased my protein consumption and drastically reduced carb consumption. This has killed my evening cravings.

3. No matter what I eat I almost always go over on sodium RDA. I'm reducing my reliance on lunch meat and prepared foods in order to reduce sodium intake.

Good luck to everyone!!!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I love cheese, and have 2 mindsets about it - it's not worth the calories if it's going *on* something, where I can't taste it too much. However, I will eat that same piece of cheese plain, because I love it so. :love:
  • mywaytobeingfit
    mywaytobeingfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That I can still go out to eat with friends or family and still enjoy myself if I just plan ahead. By planning ahead I probably would not choose what I did had I just picked it at the restaurant.

Also that after a year of struggling to get back on track that by tracking every day I can be.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've learned just how much food I really can have on 1,600 calories a day, so long as my choices are thoughtful and I opt for healthier versions of favorites whenever possible.

Kris
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think for me its cereal, I've eaten clean foods for a long time but since logging thats the biggest surprise. I often used to eat 2 bowls and a few other things in one meal. One bowl with milk is often 250ish calories.
  • mthorne313
    mthorne313 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've learned:

1. I can have 4 small meals a day for weight loss.

2. I have the innate capacity to eat more than my daily allowance of calories as carbohydrate-laden snacks in the evening -- in addition to 3 meals a day. In response, I've increased my protein consumption and drastically reduced carb consumption. This has killed my evening cravings.

3. No matter what I eat I almost always go over on sodium RDA. I'm reducing my reliance on lunch meat and prepared foods in order to reduce sodium intake.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Sara Lee now has a lower sodium turkey, ham, and roast beef. I know sandwich meat is VERY high in sodium; so, on Monday I actually went to Walmart to get a turkey breast to bake myself and slice. It was 660 mg / g *not sure what measurement* of sodium still!!!! the lower sodium ones carry between 400 & 450 on the turkey / serving.
  • HappyHealthyHolly
    HappyHealthyHolly Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've learned to look at what is really in the food I eat.
    I've learned what portions really are, as well as that they are perfect sizes for what I need, if not more than enough. There are many things that I often cut in half.
    I've learned that fun food can fit into my day with a good plan in place!
    Basically I've learned the concept of food & how quickly it adds up. So I do my best to make every calorie the healthiest & most filling that it can be!
  • corgifan
    corgifan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Cheese...most definitely. Also, someone already took juice. (V8 w/ Green Tea is only 50 cals). Greek yogurt...a WHOPPING 190 cals...think I'll pass.

Which Greek yogurt are you using and how much? Fage 0% Plain yogurt has 100 calories and 18g of protein for a 6 ounce serving (the caloric equivalent of a Yoplait Light yogurt cup). I'd much rather take that with some fruit for a 150 calorie snack or breakfast versus a Yoplait Light which is also 100 calories, but twice the sugar (14 g) and far less protein (5 g).

Just trying to offer ideas...if you like Greek yogurt it can be incorporated in a very healthy way that won't kill your calorie intake. :)
  • corgifan
    corgifan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I can easily make treats work in my diet plan, I just have to be proactive about it. I've also learned to avoid processed foods as much as possible, even the low calorie versions. If it comes in cardboard it's 90% likely to be a sodium trap or devoid of protein.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options

3. Diet Coke is disgusting. So is mayonnaise and ranch dressing. These tastes (or dis-tastes, I guess?) I developed in learning to eat better.
    4. Veggies are
    5. Whole wheat bread is great.

I use to HATE Mayo about a year ago, but started eating it on my turkey subs. But looking at mayo is DISGUSTING. We buy Miracle Whip light whenever we can. I'm thinking about keeping it in my dorm room to sub it for mayo. :)

I finally bought MY first wheat bread, only because I tried it at a friends house and it wasn't grainy. Yay healthier
  • Gottagetfit4me
    Gottagetfit4me Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    LOL. Fun and smartpost!

I have learned that the only food more deceiving than cheese is hummus! Seriously, why even eat just two tablespoons? ;)

I used to eat large amounts of hummus because I never paid attention to calories or what was or was not healthy for you.
    Now, I use hummus as a dip for my veggies for the day - 2 tablespoons is enough to dip them in. It's a compromise :-)

Coffee is another thing I have cut back not - not so much the coffee but the flavored creamer.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    The serving size of salad dressing really does go a long way!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    great post! I'd have to say I learned a lot about portion control..I was backwards..eating TOO MUCH of the starchy stuff and TOO LITTLE of the veggie stuffs...I swapped it around..and SUCCESS!
  • xreinvention
    xreinvention Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That I don't have to eat everything on my plate when I go out to eat.