Getting over gym paranoia/anxiety

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My answer is frequently.... So whatwhat of they do?

What if THEY DO judge you? What happens? You feel a little bad. And it sucks but you can feel a little bad and keep working or go buy me and feel worse.

So let them judge you.
    And check your bag of fks to give and see of you have any left.... Then tell yourself.. Welp. I'm fresh out of fks to give so I might as well just go do what I wanted to do anyway!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    1) what do you do when you're in public/at the gym? Do you judge others and wonder what the F they're doing here? Probably not... Right? You're too busy being focused on yourself and probably worried that others are looking at you. Guess how many people are in the same frame of mind? A lot.

2) Even if they are looking at you or judging you, don't let it bother you because they don't freaking matter!!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    People couldn't care less that you're in a gym, as everyone is pretty much concentrating on themselves (their form, time, speed, the song they're listening to, the show they're watching, what they might want for supper, making sure they don't accidentally knock someone out..) Just go in there and kick some butt. Everyone in that room was once where you will be.

If you are worried, why not check out some YT and practice a little. It wouldn't be any different to someone watching videos and practicing lifting form.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    um... oh people care. they care.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I'm weird, but on the rare times that I notice people - especially the ones like me who struggle - I am quite proud of them for making it to the gym. As for the classes, you just start out by simply moving, then you get the hang of the instructor's routine.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about classes see if you can talk to the instructor before hand. They might be able to ease your anxiety.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a healthy mantra to be telling yourself "you are not that important" re-phrase that please! Internal mantras can have massive effects and you are manifesting that you are not important if you do that. I would try something like "every session gets me one step closer to my goal" or "just need to get through today's session" "this is only one hour of my day" etc etc.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    When I feel like I might stand out or I'm worried about what people think, I flip it and try and remember the last time I noticed someone else in the way that I think I'm going to be noticed. Then I usually realise I don't pay that much attention to others, and figure that they probably do the same.
  • a45cal
    a45cal Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »

My son has been the subject of snotty remarks at different gyms over the passed 2 years. It happens. Some people have nothing better to do that judge or make snotty comments. I say "F" them. Do it for you

So when you say your son's been to multiple gyms and gotten "snotty" remarks at all of them, I start to wonder what your son's doing in the gym. I'm the only woman I've ever seen use the weight room at my gym, and no one's ever said *kitten* to me. Is sonny boy curling in the squat rack or something?

OP, everyone's pretty much covered it. It's a little nerve-wracking that first time, but then everyone ignores you and you stop caring. You'll get there.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hire a personal trainer or try crossfit. I use to hide in the corner on the cardio machines or the back of class. I did some crossfit and learned alot and feel confident walking in any gym now. If you do some personal training they also will show you have to use equipment so you can be more confident in the gym
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    a45cal wrote: »
    billglitch wrote: »

My son has been the subject of snotty remarks at different gyms over the passed 2 years. It happens. Some people have nothing better to do that judge or make snotty comments. I say "F" them. Do it for you

So when you say your son's been to multiple gyms and gotten "snotty" remarks at all of them, I start to wonder what your son's doing in the gym. I'm the only woman I've ever seen use the weight room at my gym, and no one's ever said *kitten* to me. Is sonny boy curling in the squat rack or something?

Interesting and insightful question. I've been training (on and off) in gyms since I was 15-16 years old, so almost 40 years. I've trained in well over 20 gyms in three different states and have never once had anybody make a snotty or derogatory comment to me in a gym. I've trained when I was a skinny, scrawny teenager, I've trained when I was a fat, out of shape adult, and I've trained when I was looking good and in pretty decent shape. Has anybody judged me or thought badly of me/what I was doing? I don't know; I don't pay attention and don't care, I'm not there for them. I'm there for me.

You have every bit as much right to be in a gym and work out as anybody else in that gym does, regardless of what shape you're in, how much you weigh, how old/young you are or what your goals are. Use some common sense and gym etiquette, don't do stupid things and don't act like a douche, and you'll blend in with everybody else who's there to do their own thing.

One of the best things I've ever heard said was "What other people think of you is none of your business".
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    jolive7 wrote: »
    I don't think it is a healthy mantra to be telling yourself "you are not that important" re-phrase that please! Internal mantras can have massive effects and you are manifesting that you are not important if you do that. I would try something like "every session gets me one step closer to my goal" or "just need to get through today's session" "this is only one hour of my day" etc etc.

I've been to a psychologist for my anxiety and we agreed that if this is something that works for me then to do it. Like when I'm nervous for an appointment I berate myself in my head and say something like, "you're being *kitten* stupid. You're the only one that's scared."

I don't think any less of myself, it's me telling my anxiety to *kitten* off.

If it works for you!
  • donutbears
    donutbears Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you can try going to an earlier class with less people. Give yourself the opportunity to familiarize yourself with how the class is run.

Or just get in there and go have fun. Dont take it so seriously and remember everyone else was a newbie at one point. I used to go to group fitness classes all the time and I never pay attention to people around me honestly.
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was the EXACT same way. Still kind of am. But my bro (he's my best friend) encouraged me and encouraged and reassured me til the cows came home that NO ONE was judging me and I thought..."yeah, that's what they SAY, but they really are". It took me three months to finally go in. And even when I did, the night before I wa so anxious I barely slept. When I got close to the gym, I almost turned the car around and went home. When I got out of the car it was a struggle. I felt like vomiting all over. I walked inside and NO ONE stared. I'm pretty quiet so my bro came over, made sure I was checked in right, and led me over to a group of ladies and there I stood. Then the instructor just told me to group up with this group of ladies for the days workouts and that was that. They were all nice. Just like my bro said they would be. None of them laughed at me like I was for sure they would. And now, six weeks in, I still get nervous about things, but at least now I feel more comfortable with these people. From the Spartan runners to the beginners, everyone is there for one thing. To improve themselves. And while some of them are quiet like me, there are those who will say, "good job, keep going, you can do it" and the mix of it all is perfect.

My advice: Rip the band aide off. Just go for it. Your anxiety will ease up with time. Mine took a few weeks but now I look forward to my 5am workout and seeing the progression of everyone in class--it's such a motivator. You won't regret it.

You CAN do it!!!!!! #yourestrongerthanyouthink
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest, I rarely see anyone who impresses me at the gym. Don't mean that to be hateful, but most people there (including myself) are just average folks trying to improve themselves.

As with most people, I suspect, you notice yourself and your own "shortcomings" more than anyone else. Just get in there and do it. :)
  • irishguns
    irishguns Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You, like everybody else, will be there to improve yourself. I had horrible anxiety about going to classes but once I got there I realized that there was not a single person there, other than the instructor, paying attention to me. It didn't matter if I couldn't go as fast as others or do a full push up. The instructor helped me find ways to modify until I got there and at the end of class we were all dripping with sweat and congratulating each other for making it through.
  • emiliaalison
    emiliaalison Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Honestly, like everyone else has said, no one will be paying attention. Especially in a class. Everyone focuses on the instructors to ensure they are following proper form, the correct moves etc. But I have been in your shoes. I was so nervous when I started a new class. I will say what helped me, is getting there before the class started and chatting with some of the people waiting. I explained that it was my first time there and I was nervous. I got reassurance from everyone and stuck close to the women I chatted with. It worked ! Keep your head up! Everyone is at the gym for the same reasons and most of us have felt the same way ! You'll get through the anxiety and not even think twice about it soon!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Just smile and say, "This is so much fun! I can't wait until I get the hang of it!"
    Pretty soon, you won't be the new person anyway...
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    An idea to help with the mental side. Find a piece of workout clothing/ new shoes/ or hairband thing you REALLY like and wear it to the first class but not before. You already got an esteem boost because of wearing something new that you like a lot, which makes the nerves/anxiety smaller and then it is easier. think of wearing new clothes as armor to get you through the (mental) fight. Armor on, now kick some *kitten*.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    People that are in these classes are probably sweating too much to focus on anyone else but themselves. I think you should sign up for what interests you most and have fun!