Cat People

Options

Replies

• klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Always so happy to see all the new lovely kitties then I get to the end of the new posts and well .... Shucks. :|
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    So many cuties! I have two big boys (possibly part Maine Coon), this one is Tulio, 28 pounds of fluff and love:
    18r74s2x8h23.jpeg

He's gorgeous
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    lq4rzcwvzq38.jpg

My orange cat watching tv.....look closer and you see he's watching Halloween 2. Most likely trying to get some new tips for trying to kill me.

Maybe your cat just wants some Activia?
  • cecrowley
    cecrowley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    3 + 1 that belongs to ex and I got suckered into keeping for "a short time."
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    2ex3onfsjorf.jpg

Otis & Daisy a few months ago.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Just found out hubs' friend's cat had kittens and we might end up with one. Our fellas are 4 & 5 - is there a "window" for bringing a kitten into the mix? I only have four years of cat experience and I don't know if it'd be the right choice to do it now or wait.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    So many cuties! I have two big boys (possibly part Maine Coon), this one is Tulio, 28 pounds of fluff and love:
    18r74s2x8h23.jpeg
    So beautiful! And it certainly looks like he's got Maine Coon in him.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    So beautiful! And it certainly looks like he's got Maine Coon in him.

Maine Coon, the pirates cat!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    abiskeet wrote: »
    I love cats!!!! Mine however is an absolute *kitten*...I wouldn't have him any other way though
    This is Dave

I love Heterochromic kitties!~ So pretty
  • abiskeet
    abiskeet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love cats!!!! Mine however is an absolute *kitten*...I wouldn't have him any other way though
    This is Dave

His personality isn't so pretty lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This is Dave

His personality isn't so pretty lol

That's OK - my older cat is named Monster. People say "but she's so sweet! How could you call her that??" 3 minutes later they're bleeding and I'm handing out Bandaids saying "that's why." I too am a victim of an azzhole cat.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Just found out hubs' friend's cat had kittens and we might end up with one. Our fellas are 4 & 5 - is there a "window" for bringing a kitten into the mix? I only have four years of cat experience and I don't know if it'd be the right choice to do it now or wait.

I had 3 cats aged 12, 11 and 9 when we added a kitten (someone found him and took him to our vets office and after I saw him I was in love) and he was only about 4 weeks old. They were separate at first then gradually introduced and we had no issues (and the oldest ended up being a good mom to him, which was odd since he was a male cat). We added more after that (1 while we still had the 3 oldest then 3 more after our oldest passed away from cancer) and they all were pretty successful. There are always going to be some issues of course but I would say 95% of the time they all get along. Which turned out to be a good thing when we had a fire and had to move into very cramped temporary quarters (one room at my now-ex's parents house - had to stay in the one bedroom because his dad is allergic to cats and they have a dog that the cat would have been terrified of).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I agree with @sunburntgalaxy . Establishing a safe place for all the cats will help too. Find territory that belongs to the older ones as well as common space. New feeding places, new litter boxes, new toys, ect.

A year ago my daughter brought home a kitten and my male cat was fine with her, but the female wasn't happy and camped outside for weeks. I had to sit outside with her, play with her and even opened the bedroom window so she could have her own in and out. Lots of side by side playing to get the older one comfortable. They play together now, but it took some delicate dancing to get them there.

Great thing is that cats are smart. They learn words and love games. We play with the pink string and it's named "pink nake", dirt games "dirt baby", "play" means getting along with the new one, "nap nap" is a snuggle invitation. Yes if you have a safe outdoor place with dirt, they love the roll in it, chase a stick game. Happiest cats ever. Each cat has their own games and their own trigger words (sleepies vs nap nap vs nuggles and the like). Capitalize on their interests and spend time with everyone.

We've had many cats and not come across one that couldn't learn to get along. Good luck!