Binging for 2 weeks because of loneliness

Options
I've never had any kind of non platonic experience, haven't gone on a date or kissed much less had a girlfriend....I'm not shy but I guess females think I look creepy or something...The loneliness has been getting to me....I have worked, over the years at bettering myself, getting more marketable skills, being better at my job, working on my interests, hobbies, but I still feel like I'm missing an experience I'd like to have...And now it's sabotaging my effort to lose weight and get healthy because eating makes me feel good and I never feel good except when I'm asleep and that doesn't count since I'm not awake to feel it...my friends don't even mention girls to me any more, and my family keeps telling me it's OK if I'm gay (but I'm not), it's like my friends don't see me as capable of attracting a girl.

Replies

• gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    it's totally a vicious cycle and it's a tough one to break. But you can break it. I agree with everything everyone has already said, especially justsomegirl. it's not going to be easy, and it's not an easy fix. start small; go for a walk in the park or round the block, make eye contact with people, smile, say good morning/hi/ how you doing as you pass. become a face in the neighbourhood that people know.

we're all here. you can unload any time. ask questions, ask for support, have a rant. you are not alone in this.
  • kittehkitteh88
    kittehkitteh88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Start logging your meals and exercise, make sure you come under calories each day, feel free to add me as a friend, i can offer loads of nice healthy tasty meal ideas, give yourself a month of measuring and logging foods and exercise and see how it goes - its only a month if it seems intimidating but you may be very pleasantly surprised at how you feel
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Looking for someone to "make you feel better" is not going to work. You have to make peace with yourself, like yourself, and want to spend time with yourself, before someone else does. Try volunteering and helping someone else feel better--that may be the way to help yourself. Good luck.

Awesome advice.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Tabbycat00 wrote: »
    Hi. Don't judge me, I'm sure my answer will be unpopular but...have you tried reading the Bible? I know, Christian freak, right? I'm just saying. It's made a difference in my life and maybe it will give you what you need to go out there and find someone.

I totally agree with you. Have made a world a difference in my life.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I know it is difficult once the urge to binge takes over, but what has helped me is to stop and think about how binging is just going to get me further away from my goal. Yes, it may make me happy for a few minutes, but ultimately it is just going to make me feel worse than I did when I started.

Happiness starts with YOU. Change starts with YOU. Nothing is unobtainable. YOU just have to make up your mind, set your goals, and follow through.

Believe me I know it's hard and easier sad than done, but it is possible.
  • SaintsGirl70124
    SaintsGirl70124 Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Just my opinion from my own personal experience; but the binging isn't the problem. It's how you are trying to cope with a problem, and until that is addressed, the binging/self-sabotaging cycle will continue, and no amount of logging calories or setting goals will change that. For example, things like impulse control, self-harm such as binging eating, feelings of loneliness/emptiness are key traits or borderline personality disorder, or it could be anxiety, or depression. I'm not a doctor or a therapist, but I know from my own life that it can be a heck of a lot more complicated (but in a weird way also more "fixable") than just calculating calories in vs calories out and willing myself to change. Perhaps, it is the same for you, and you might want to consider some professional help for that. I did, and it has been more effective for me than logging anything on here. Feel free to message be privately any time.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a club or meet up of something you like- hiking, art, book club- whatever. Look at it as practice honing your social skills, and meeting people that you have a shared interest with. Take charge of your life- most girls/ women can see depressed and unmotivated- not the most winning combo in a potential boyfriend. Get going on what's important to you and others will take notice.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Get a makeover and go shopping. Also, how are you attempting to meet women? Dating sites or anything?
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Looking for someone to "make you feel better" is not going to work. You have to make peace with yourself, like yourself, and want to spend time with yourself, before someone else does. Try volunteering and helping someone else feel better--that may be the way to help yourself. Good luck.

This is the best advice. Volunteer for an organization where you are really interested in what they do. You will meet other people who share your interests. Put yourself out there, get involved with life, and you may meet someone. This is how I met my husband (but I wasn't looking for anyone, it just happened). Choose one new thing to try to be involved in during the coming week. Good luck.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

This. Fake it till you make it. You need to work on yourself before you can expect anyone else to. As someone that is bipolar, so depressive spells happen frequently, I understand how it can feel to seem worthless. But you need to address these issues first. It sounds cruel, but no one is going to hang around to deal with that baggage. It's emotionally draining. I lost an ex-fiancé doing the same thing. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that despite your attempts to hide it, it's clear as day.

This discussion has been closed.