ZERO CALORIE FOODS, OH MY!!!

Options

Replies

• snikkistaxx
    Options
    Saw this... Maybe why you get anxious...

"A small segment of the population is allergic to sucralose, and the reactions produced in this group can be everything from rashes, panic attacks, headaches, to intestinal cramping, diarrhea, muscle aches, and stomach pain. Findings for allergic reactions are well-documented, but for the rest of the population, the studies are murky, at best"
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    the only thing that I eat that is 0 calories are NoOodles made of yam flour (and that's it!) - I have tried the salad dressings and they didn't taste very good. The only artificial sweetener I use is stevia
  • devilblkdress
    Options
    I weigh half of what I weighed 7 years ago and could have NEVER done it without splenda, PB2 and protein powders. I don't eat any sugar at all. I am an addict and one is too many and a thousand is never enough so I use splenda. It hasn't killed me yet! PB2 is actual peanuts. It has dietary fiber and protein still and some calories just 85% less fat calories because of the dehydration process. It does take some experimenting and adjusting to get used to (especially if you are a huge peanut butter fan) but once you find the way to use it wow does it rock! Same thing with the right protein powder. My husband uses it to bulk up but I use it to stay full longer. I am terminally hungry. I swear I am never satisfied. I feel like I have a tape worm or something lol So I fill up with protein shakes or even better protein soup! Unjury chicken broth Ohhhhh yummmm Sooo good and if you chock it full of fresh veggies and some egg beaters you have a super high protein soup with barely any calories that keeps you full for hours. Okay I have rambled enough. Have a good afternoon :-)
  • HappyHealthyHolly
    HappyHealthyHolly Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like it could be very healthy to me. I'm a huge fan of natural food. I eat few processed items, but they're still on the healthy side. They still have calories, but they're healthy calories that come from the actual food that's inside.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    There is nothing resembling a farm about Walden Farms. A better name would be Walden Laboratory.

Be good to your body: eat real food.
  • TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    I like splenda, I think it's good for people to cook with but theres somethings I wont use it on whatsoever, like my coffee in the morning with splenda = yuck as **** to me. Totally twists the flavor
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I love splenda, couldn't do without it.

I figure either the splenda will kill me or being fat will, 6 of one half dozen of the other.

wow, dealing in absolutes eh? How about eating properly and exercising. My diet rarely consists of a food with artificial sweetener and im not even close to being overweight or obese. Perhaps the next time you use that logic you remember theres always a third way to die : of old age or natural causes. That type of logic will kill you faster than anything else.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options

I figure either the splenda will kill me or being fat will, 6 of one half dozen of the other.

SOOOO true!

I’ve been eating equal on my cereal since I was 6, Splenda in my Coffee, and Sweet n Low in my ice tea for years. People just try and scare themselves out of everything. If it bothers you when you eat it, then don’t eat it. Me? I love it, and its WAY better than eating a whole bunch of sugar....witch contributes to many people being obese/diabetic.
  • hasselh
    hasselh Posts: 29
    Options
    PB2 is not calorie free - it has minimal calories compared to regular peanut butter. I tried the Walden Farms PB and threw it out as well - the PB2 is a totally different story. I LOVE IT! It comes in a powder, you add water to the consistency you like and enjoy. Everyone in my family loves it and those I have shared with also enjoy. It's mail order in my area so I order 12 at a time...well worth it in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the chocolate version, but others I know are.
    Also, fun to bake with - they have good recipes on their site.
  • astovey
    Options

wow, dealing in absolutes eh? How about eating properly and exercising. My diet rarely consists of a food with artificial sweetener and im not even close to being overweight or obese. Perhaps the next time you use that logic you remember theres always a third way to die : of old age or natural causes. That type of logic will kill you faster than anything else.

closed mided much? Ever thought that you simply have a good metabolism? Some people need other options, and if they have those options, why not try them?
  • summalovaable
    Options
  • summalovaable
    Options

closed mided much? Ever thought that you simply have a good metabolism? Some people need other options, and if they have those options, why not try them?

No no i complete understand the options:) I actually used to use that reasoning as well ( recovering diet coke addict right here!) I just had to let myself realize that there wasnt ONLY two options, there's always that last possibility ( you know not dying from a life threatening disease preferably) and I can 100% say i do NOT have a good metabolism ( thyroid condition)
  • astovey
    Options
    I’ve been eating equal on my cereal since I was 6, Splenda in my Coffee, and Sweet n Low in my ice tea for years. People just try and scare themselves out of everything. If it bothers you when you eat it, then don’t eat it. Me? I love it, and its WAY better than eating a whole bunch of sugar....witch contributes to many people being obese/diabetic.

for the record, artificial sweeteners have been linked to diabetes as well
    [/quote]

for the record, I can't stand people that preach about things that have not been proven. There are way more problems with people eating too much sugar, and this is a way to bring those numbers down.

I have PCOS, which causes my metabolism to well....suck
    It is also known to cause women to crave sweets...yeah, I know, I thought all women did that anyway
    One way to help it to eat like a diabetic, and artificial sweeteners help, a lot.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I was looking on amazon.com today to find a deal on PB2, and was recommended to try Walden Farms creamy peanut butter with ZERO CALORIES, ZERO CARBS, ZERO FAT, basically zero anything except a tiny bit of sodium. So I went to their web site and they have a HUGE selection of these zero calorie foods. It sounded very tempting but everything they have seems to be sweetened with Splenda. What are your thoughts on Splenda? Is it bad for you? Has your hair fallen out? Have you gained weight because of it? Please share.

I just went to their web site to look up their nutritional value:

http://www.waldenfarms.com/nutrition_facts.html

You shouldn't always rely on the "zeros." Please look at the serving size. For a spread, per serving, it's 2 tablespoons or 30 ml. And you are right, it has 105 mg of sodium; so if you, say, use 4 tablespoons of this spread, it's 210 mg of sodium. I think most people would use about 6 tablespoons for a sandwich spread though.

When you read the ingredients, most of it is water (the first ingredient listed is the most amount in the product), then a gum type, the salt, then corn starch--where are the peanuts??

Oh, it's peanut flavored.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I was looking on amazon.com today to find a deal on PB2, and was recommended to try Walden Farms creamy peanut butter with ZERO CALORIES, ZERO CARBS, ZERO FAT, basically zero anything except a tiny bit of sodium. So I went to their web site and they have a HUGE selection of these zero calorie foods. It sounded very tempting but everything they have seems to be sweetened with Splenda. What are your thoughts on Splenda? Is it bad for you? Has your hair fallen out? Have you gained weight because of it? Please share.

I just went to their web site to look up their nutritional value:

http://www.waldenfarms.com/nutrition_facts.html

You shouldn't always rely on the "zeros." Please look at the serving size. For a spread, per serving, it's 2 tablespoons or 30 ml. And you are right, it has 105 mg of sodium; so if you, say, use 4 tablespoons of this spread, it's 210 mg of sodium. I think most people would use about 6 tablespoons for a sandwich spread though.

When you read the ingredients, most of it is water (the first ingredient listed is the most amount in the product), then a gum type, the salt, then corn starch--where are the peanuts??

Oh, it's peanut flavored.

That just sounds yucky! I'll stick to my freshly ground almond butter.
  • LtAngela
    LtAngela Posts: 35
    Options

Here is RESULT!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/288131-compare-my-photo-before-and-after
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    from what I Know PB2 Is made from peanuts in which all their oils (calories) have been expelled.
    If that is the case what is the point in eating it - nothing good for you if everything expelled?

PB2 isn't actually 0 calorie. it has 45 cals per 2 tbsp. It still has fat, protein, carbs, every thing that peanut butter has, just much less fat (1.5g). I love PB2 and eat it literally every day.
  • stlgrl76
    stlgrl76 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm buying that book! I have heard Splenda is created by exploding sugar with chlorined gases.. but I have nothing to back it up with.

By the way, I noticed your weight loss tracker... Nice Job!!!
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I don't have any beefs with Splenda, but I have tried two of the Walden Farms dressings and thought they were nasty tasting.
    They taste very much like chemicals, and I'm not adverse to better living through chemistry! LOL
    I even took advantage of their 100% satisfaction guarantee on the last product I tried and got my money refunded. Of course, they thoughtfully provided me with a coupon for a free product too..........but I"m not going to use it.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I dont understand how peanut butter can have 0 cals.I would want to know what else is in it obviously not peanuts because peanuts have cals and fat......hmmm I dont know I would do more research first

This was the first thing that came to my mind as well ...