Years trying to lose weight.

Options
Hi,

I am writing from the UK. I am long years trying to lose weight.
I could not do extreme exercise because I have severe asthma
I am normally doing dieting which never works. but I need to find
out where I am wrong that, why I need a pal or guru or group,
to see how it works.pls help me
Thank in advance
Kind regards
Prishaan

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    When you tried before, what methods did you use? Have you ever tried logging your calories, accurately and honestly, for 8-12 weeks minimum while eating at a moderate deficit? Or did you try eating certain foods or avoiding certain foods?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    Set your Goals here to "Lose 1 pound (half kilo) per week."

Log everything you eat. Learn from your Food Diary here.

You don't need to do extreme exercise to lose weight, it's all about the food.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Exercise is unnecessary for weight loss. I cut from 195 to 150 in about seven months, mostly sedentary, at 1400 kcals per day. You just have to find a number low enough to work for you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes @Gallowmere1984 is right. You do not have to exercise to lose weight. There are many that are incapable of performing exercise due to medical reasons..

Just setup your stats on your account there, select 1 pound per week rate of loss and let MFP auto generate your calorie goal. While you might not need a food scale now, it will be necessary as you get closer to goal.

This method is not extreme dieting, and there is no food restriction either.. just eating less so this is actually very very opposite of what you have tried in the past..
  • Prishan22
    Prishan22 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi,

StaciMarie1974 and cmriverside,Thank you so much to reply me back.Actually,
    I am on diet on less than 1000cal right now.
    I am weighing 13 stone . my height is 5 ft. my BMI is :35.5
    I am dangerously overweight.
    In the morning I have one piece of brown bread with1 tsp peanut butter.
    lunch I have 1 bowl of salad ( cucumber/tomatoes/lettuce/salt/olive
    oil 1 tsp)
    dinner : 1/2 chicken breast boiled with 2 cup veg broccoli
    snacks 1 grapefruit / olive with garlic/
    2 times coffee with skim milk 2 tablet stevia

I am extremely exhausted and frustrated that
    I am not gaining weight but I am not losing also.
    I am 5 days in this diet more 6 months .but it is not working
    weekend sometimes I eat out once but only Saturday and Sunday
    I add rice to my diet (1 cup)
    I actually need you guys how you lose weight, it's becoming
    wonder for me.
    I tried to jogging 30-minutes.
    Pls help me out. if anyone here kind enough to add me as your friend in facebook
    that will be highly appreciated.I need a friend who has knowledge
    about weight loss and agree to share your knowledge with me .
    Thank you so much, guys, to reply me back .
    God bless you.

• Prishan22
    Options
    Exercise is unnecessary for weight loss. I cut from 195 to 150 in about seven months, mostly sedentary, at 1400 kcals per day. You just have to find a number low enough to work for you.

thank you so much for your reply. It will be really helpful if you explain about to find out the low number that works for me,what I understand the calorie of diet works for me ? isn't it ? if I am wrong pls correct me.thanks again my friend.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Prishan - you need to use MyFitnessPal and enter your information and let the program give you your goals.
    Then you need to buy a food scale and use it for EVERYTHING that isn't a liquid. do NOT go off of the packaged information as it is often wrong
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I am understanding...you have been at that diet for 5 days? Six months?
    In the morning I have one piece of brown bread with1 tsp peanut butter.
    lunch I have 1 bowl of salad ( cucumber/tomatoes/lettuce/salt/olive
    oil 1 tsp)
    dinner : 1/2 chicken breast boiled with 2 cup veg broccoli
    snacks 1 grapefruit / olive with garlic/
    2 times coffee with skim milk 2 tablet stevia

That isn't nearly enough food - no wonder you're tired and frustrated. If indeed you are eating what you said, that's more like 500 calories, and not sustainable.

Log your food here on the "FOOD" page. Try to hit a minimum of 1200 calories and get enough protein and fats - the goals on the food page are GOALS, minimums to hit.

Log everything for a month. If you are consistent, you will lose weight - but don't try to eat 500 calories, you'll crash and it won't work - no nutrition is not good! Your health will suffer.

• red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If it's 5 days it's really not enough time to see results .. this is a long journey not something we can fix in a few weeks .. above poster is correct .. put numbers in MFP and eat calories stated .. find a way you can live with to eat within those numbers ..

Good luck
  • Prishan22
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Yes @Gallowmere1984 is right. You do not have to exercise to lose weight. There are many that are incapable of performing exercise due to medical reasons..

Just setup your stats on your account there, select 1 pound per week rate of loss and let MFP auto generate your calorie goal. While you might not need a food scale now, it will be necessary as you get closer to goal.

This method is not extreme dieting, and there is no food restriction either.. just eating less so this is actually very very opposite of what you have tried in the past..

thank you so much, my friend, for you detail on my diet.
    I have not enough experience about the diet never but
    when I started gaining weight it's become a one of my unpaid job
    looking for the best weight loss programme. actually, first I was gaining
    side effect of a medicine (depression) if I had known that I never agree
    to have it in the first place. but thank you so much, I have surely go through on your advice my friend.

• fsfsfsf1
    fsfsfsf1 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    :)
  • fsfsfsf1
    fsfsfsf1 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    :D
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Can you set your food diary settings to public? People can take a look and give you better advice if we see what you're logging.
  • StaciMarie1974
    edited October 2016
    Options
    A few things stand out to me and they are all problematic. Please read to the end, its not dire. :)

You are aiming to eat 1000 calories a day. This is a very low # and can be a problem for multiple reasons. First, it is hard to get enough nutrition eating so low. Second it is hard to feel satisfied on so little food. It is not realistic that you can keep this up - and the likely scenario to play out is you do this for a week or two then go crazy and binge or just give up. The idea is to find a calorie amount you can eat on a regular basis for a long time, without feeling like you are starving yourself.

Another issue: you've been at this for 5 days and are frustrated that you are not seeing results. It can take time to see results on the scale because our body's water weight fluctuates. Therefore the answer is to look at a change in weight over time. Meaning a week, month or more. So it takes patience. This is where having a reasonable calorie goal comes in handy.

Lastly, I'm not sure if you gave a 'sample' day or you think you need to eat the exact same thing day in, day out for a long time. Repetition is fine if that works for you, but if you get bored eating the same things it is OK to have variety.

Based on your stats, I'd estimate your BMR to be about 1370. That means if sedentary, not very much activity, your body uses at least 1600-1700 calories in day worth of energy. So eating less than that, you should lose weight. Over time. I'd suggest that you try 1300-1400 calories per day. That would have you losing at the rate of about 3-4 pounds per month. The key is patience and accuracy. Accurately logging what you consume, and understanding this is a lifestyle. Compare your weight today (new day 0) to your weight a month from now, and a month from then.

As for exercise - forget it. My personal way of thinking, because 'exercise' seems overwhelming, just think about being more active. Are there things you do now that you could do with some activity? Like if you watch tv: try walking in place for some of it. When doing errands, park at the back of the parking lot (if its safe to do so) and walk further to get into/out of the store. Avoid drive thrus. Park and go in to the bank, post office, dry cleaners, etc. Ultimately it all adds up. Exercise does improve your health and fitness, but getting your weight out of the obese category will also.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Ps-if you'd like a friend to chat on a day to day basis, to vent, discuss what you're eating & how much, how you're doing at adding in activity, feel free to friend me or send messages. :)
  • Prishan22
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    Prishan - you need to use MyFitnessPal and enter your information and let the program give you your goals.
    Then you need to buy a food scale and use it for EVERYTHING that isn't a liquid. do NOT go off of the packaged information as it is often wrong
    thank you so much for your advice,I will use MyFitnessPal and enter my information and follow the goal.
  • Prishan22
    Options
    A few things stand out to me and they are all problematic. Please read to the end, its not dire. :)

You are aiming to eat 1000 calories a day. This is a very low # and can be a problem for multiple reasons. First, it is hard to get enough nutrition eating so low. Second it is hard to feel satisfied on so little food. It is not realistic that you can keep this up - and the likely scenario to play out is you do this for a week or two then go crazy and binge or just give up. The idea is to find a calorie amount you can eat on a regular basis for a long time, without feeling like you are starving yourself.

Another issue: you've been at this for 5 days and are frustrated that you are not seeing results. It can take time to see results on the scale because our body's water weight fluctuates. Therefore the answer is to look at a change in weight over time. Meaning a week, month or more. So it takes patience. This is where having a reasonable calorie goal comes in handy.

Lastly, I'm not sure if you gave a 'sample' day or you think you need to eat the exact same thing day in, day out for a long time. Repetition is fine if that works for you, but if you get bored eating the same things it is OK to have variety.

Based on your stats, I'd estimate your BMR to be about 1370. That means if sedentary, not very much activity, your body uses at least 1600-1700 calories in day worth of energy. So eating less than that, you should lose weight. Over time. I'd suggest that you try 1300-1400 calories per day. That would have you losing at the rate of about 3-4 pounds per month. The key is patience and accuracy. Accurately logging what you consume, and understanding this is a lifestyle. Compare your weight today (new day 0) to your weight a month from now, and a month from then.

As for exercise - forget it. My personal way of thinking, because 'exercise' seems overwhelming, just think about being more active. Are there things you do now that you could do with some activity? Like if you watch tv: try walking in place for some of it. When doing errands, park at the back of the parking lot (if its safe to do so) and walk further to get into/out of the store. Avoid drive thrus. Park and go in to the bank, post office, dry cleaners, etc. Ultimately it all adds up. Exercise does improve your health and fitness, but getting your weight out of the obese category will also.

thank you so much for your kind review of my diet.it's really eye opening. Because of my very little knowledge about diet, I always became a failure on weight loss but you give me the direction the way I could pull it through.I am trying my best to start it fresh. thanks again my friend!
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    You're welcome.

And one other point I'd like to make. You mentioned above that you have not gained weight recently. While the goal is to lose weight, not gaining is something to celebrate. In my opinion it is a step in the right direction.
  • Prishan22
    Options
    Ps-if you'd like a friend to chat on a day to day basis, to vent, discuss what you're eating & how much, how you're doing at adding in activity, feel free to friend me or send messages. :)

Dear StaciMarie1974, thank you so much for accepting me as your friend
    I am really mean it from bottom of my heart. I need someone in my life
    as a teacher or friend or guru. that so kind of you.I will updated you.and
    I will send you my fb address(private message) if you think its okay you can add me.
    May God continue to bless you with all the wonderful things in life!thank~Prishaan