is 1200 calories enough?

Options
shiraashira
shiraashira Posts: 10 Member
edited October 2016 in Getting Started
I have used an online TDEE calculator and it shows my TDEE is 1560 as of now and losing at 10% I must consume 1404 calories and at 20% I can consume about 1248 calories.

I was wondering, isn't 1200/1250 calories a lot less? I feel intrigued by all these calculations but I really want to lose about 7/8 pounds in the next three months and keep it off.

I can really do with some help on this with knowledge sharing here. :(

Some basic information : I am a very small person at 4.11 or a little more with 114 lbs. I look fatter than I weigh. I have been doing cardio/HIIT four to five times a week and I strength train about 2/3 times in home. I have been eating mindfully and exercising since mid July and have lost about 12 pounds which I am really proud of. But I have never counted calories or weighed my food before. And I have been told, I look heavier than I weigh because I have been doing too much cardio and not much strength training and also that I eat bad food which is not really helping me with changing my body composition. My goal weight is somewhere around 105/107 lbs. Also, I have never been skinny my entire life. I was a chubby kid growing up but after getting in to a college I lost weight and entered into the skinny fat group but never gained a lot of weight.

Replies

• huneycutt13
    huneycutt13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would say that 1200 is not enough, especially if you are working out that much. I highly suggest you read this post, it will help. Use the link to the accurate calorie calculator and use that in MFP and not whatever MFP suggests. You gotta figure out how many calories your body needs to survive, how much to maintain current weight, and how much to lose weight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

No matter how much exercise you do, if you are eating bad, it will show. You cannot out exercise the kitchen. If you are eating bad, cut back and start accurately tracking your food. Is it hard? YES. But, you'll get the hang of it and it'll become normal for you. Strength training will help tone your muscles, just make sure you are feeding them properly.

I hope this helps :)
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I follow this website and it always has great information: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/not-eating-enough-calories/
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 also and when I moved to maintenance it gave me only 1300 a day, so I feel ya. We littles can't eat much. Of course if I burn calories, I can eat more. My fitbit does all of those calculations for me though.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I'm 5'10.
  • shiraashira
    Options
    I would say that 1200 is not enough, especially if you are working out that much. I highly suggest you read this post, it will help. Use the link to the accurate calorie calculator and use that in MFP and not whatever MFP suggests. You gotta figure out how many calories your body needs to survive, how much to maintain current weight, and how much to lose weight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

No matter how much exercise you do, if you are eating bad, it will show. You cannot out exercise the kitchen. If you are eating bad, cut back and start accurately tracking your food. Is it hard? YES. But, you'll get the hang of it and it'll become normal for you. Strength training will help tone your muscles, just make sure you are feeding them properly.

I hope this helps :)

This was really helpful. I was worried of how people eat 1200 or under 1200 calories a day. I calculated my weekly calorie intake this week, and on an average I eat around 1500/1700 calories a day and burn about 200/250 of it by exercise.

I think losing about .25/.5 lbs per week is fine for me. Since what I am doing is still working for me, I would do whatever that and not think about it till I hit plateau. I was just curious, if eating habit has anything to do with body composition? Or does it generally take longer time to change body composition as opposed to losing weight in pound?
  • shiraashira
    Options
    TarahByte wrote: »
    I'm 4'11 also and when I moved to maintenance it gave me only 1300 a day, so I feel ya. We littles can't eat much. Of course if I burn calories, I can eat more. My fitbit does all of those calculations for me though.

only 1300? the calculator I used gave me 1560 and there was another that I used, even that gave me somewhere around 1400. 1300 is too little. Also, us little people can not burn as much while exercising too. Bummer!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the progress you have made thus far!

You're right at the middle of the healthy range for BMI at your current weight. If you commit to a good progressive lifting program (not a pink weights kind of thing) and continue 2-3 times a week, I think you will be pleased with the results. Either the 1200 or the 1400 levels should be fine, as long as you are getting enough protein to repair and build your muscles (recommendations range around 1 gram per lb of lean body weight, or .8 gram per total lbs, which is my rule of thumb). It just depends on what you feel is more sustainable for the long-term goal. MFP is designed for you to eat back the exercise calories you burn, so the days you are doing cardio, you will have a higher amount to eat (while still maintaining a deficit). Frankly, you could eat at your current TDEE and just focus on recomp...although the scales might not move, you will probably see the results you are looking for over the next few months. Since I started lifting in February, I've gone from the low end of a size 10 to the high end of a size 6 without much change in my weight (I am 5'6" and 140 lbs). I lost most of my weight (25 lbs) before that on 1200 a day, but was very active (hiking, biking, kayaking, walking, plyometrics, etc) and ate back my calories, which helped prevent me from getting stabby and hangry.

I'm not sure what your friends mean by "bad" food (if I listened to every person who demonized a certain food or group of foods as evil, I would pretty much be living off of kale), but carefully managing your calories and macros, and paying close attention to your micros, will naturally force better eating habits, while still allowing the occasional treat. Also, unless your body is breaking down, I'm not sure there is "too much cardio" as long as you enjoy it--just don't let it cut into your lifting time. :)

Regarding eating habits and body comp, there are plenty of people (think young college athletes) who build beautiful muscular physiques on absolute crap. But there is a lot more to health. We raise show rabbits and very carefully manage their diets and give them the best, highest quality of everything, and it shows in their overall look, glossiness, etc. I used to jump horses, and again, a high-quality performance diet is crucial. Genetics also plays a big role, but I would err on the side of eating the highest quality foods you can afford if you want sparkly eyes and glossy hair like a show bunny. Just the fact that you are a healthy weight and you are doing regular exercise just about every day are two of the best things you can do for your health.

Again, congratulations--you seem like you are on a really good track.
  • shiraashira
    Options

You're right at the middle of the healthy range for BMI at your current weight. If you commit to a good progressive lifting program (not a pink weights kind of thing) and continue 2-3 times a week, I think you will be pleased with the results. Either the 1200 or the 1400 levels should be fine, as long as you are getting enough protein to repair and build your muscles (recommendations range around 1 gram per lb of lean body weight, or .8 gram per total lbs, which is my rule of thumb). It just depends on what you feel is more sustainable for the long-term goal. MFP is designed for you to eat back the exercise calories you burn, so the days you are doing cardio, you will have a higher amount to eat (while still maintaining a deficit). Frankly, you could eat at your current TDEE and just focus on recomp...although the scales might not move, you will probably see the results you are looking for over the next few months. Since I started lifting in February, I've gone from the low end of a size 10 to the high end of a size 6 without much change in my weight (I am 5'6" and 140 lbs). I lost most of my weight (25 lbs) before that on 1200 a day, but was very active (hiking, biking, kayaking, walking, plyometrics, etc) and ate back my calories, which helped prevent me from getting stabby and hangry.

I'm not sure what your friends mean by "bad" food (if I listened to every person who demonized a certain food or group of foods as evil, I would pretty much be living off of kale), but carefully managing your calories and macros, and paying close attention to your micros, will naturally force better eating habits, while still allowing the occasional treat. Also, unless your body is breaking down, I'm not sure there is "too much cardio" as long as you enjoy it--just don't let it cut into your lifting time. :)

Regarding eating habits and body comp, there are plenty of people (think young college athletes) who build beautiful muscular physiques on absolute crap. But there is a lot more to health. We raise show rabbits and very carefully manage their diets and give them the best, highest quality of everything, and it shows in their overall look, glossiness, etc. I used to jump horses, and again, a high-quality performance diet is crucial. Genetics also plays a big role, but I would err on the side of eating the highest quality foods you can afford if you want sparkly eyes and glossy hair like a show bunny. Just the fact that you are a healthy weight and you are doing regular exercise just about every day are two of the best things you can do for your health.

This was thus far the most insightful and amazing comment I have gotten. I was planning on joining gym as soon as I move in my new apartment which is mid January, which also will be my official six months of 'trying to be healthy' life. I think the mindset of losing X amount of weight is what making me all tensed. I should be happy of what I have achieved and try to maintain what I am doing by not thinking too much. If I am able to maintain the routine I am following, which is good eating along with regular exercise and if then the scale remains the same, so as the tape, I would know that I have to do something different and if it works out, then I should be continuing what I am doing. I know it hasn't been much since I started, but I now am gradually realizing, it's about being steady, patient and consistent and everything pays off in the end.

Thank you. You were wonderful. Your comment somehow inspired me heaps.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    TarahByte wrote: »

only 1300? the calculator I used gave me 1560 and there was another that I used, even that gave me somewhere around 1400. 1300 is too little. Also, us little people can not burn as much while exercising too. Bummer!

Yup my TDEE is only 1238 from what I've calculated at a sedentary office job. Of course I exercise every weekday so that goes up a little. I'm only 95 lbs though. Sucks 'cause I like food. Just gotta run around a lot.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    My maintenance is 1400. So my weight loss amount was 1200. Its really dependent on activity level, your height and your weight and your age. Not much point in feeling deprived, just sets you up for giving up.
  • Liko81
    Liko81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Some basic information : I am a very small person at 4.11 or a little more with 114 lbs. I look fatter than I weigh. I have been doing cardio/HIIT four to five times a week and I strength train about 2/3 times in home...

Several things here. First off, 1200 calories is starvation rations for pretty much anyone. As with many things, there is a balance. The calorie intake/output equation sounds simple, but in reality intake and output are interrelated as variables; reduce intake, and your body will go into conservation mode, lowering your BMR. Increase calorie burn with exercise, and your body will expect you to replenish those calories with food and will make you hungrier to encourage that. 1200 calories is a recipe for failure; you'll either go into conservation mode and not lose anything while being miserable, or you'll have to keep your activity level so high to avoid a BMR crash that you could easily eat more than that and still lose weight.

Extremely low-cal, high-activity weight loss is The Biggest Loser's model, and while it works to a point, it's not consistent, it's prone to unhealthy forms of cheating (like tweaking a player's hydration up to and including total dehydration to fine-tune the number on the scale), and it's not sustainable long-term (many very successful contestants have gained most of their weight back because what they teach them on the show only works for professional fitness experts.

Second, 4'11", 114 lbs is fairly healthy all things considered; that's a BMI of 23, on the high side of normal but nothing to really worry about. You look heavier than you weigh because the weight's on a shorter frame, so you're "denser" than a woman with the same weight distributed over four more inches of height would look. You have something to lose if you want - a BMI of 21 would be right around the 100 pound mark - but I wouldn't be concerned. Definitely don't go on the look of magazine models, obviously; they average about 10 inches taller than you for about the same weight, which for them is significantly underweight, and for you to look the same with your shorter frame (if it's even possible) would require a weight less than 90 pounds, putting your BMI somewhere in the 15-16 range which is very unhealthy.

Also, as a quick aside, don't take BMI as gospel. At best, it indicates a healthy weight for a highly active but not "bulked" person; the modern definition of fitness tends to involve a higher percentage of muscle mass to keep BMI high and fat low, which pushes many people who are prime examples of physical fitness into the "overweight" category. At worst, it's an unrealistic standard for human physique, based on a 200-year-old survey of people in agrarian and early industrial economies, with average life expectancy about 2/3 that of today, developed by a mathematician with zero medical training. More modern mathematical assessments such as various caliper tests (Jackson-Pollack 3-site, Yuhasz 6-site etc.) or body density tests based on weight and volume displacement (i.e. BodPod, Siri equation) provide a much more accurate assessment of body fat regardless of the number on the scale.

Third, ask three fitness experts what "good food" is and you'll get four answers. The answers will generally center around "natural" and "high-density". Natural nutritionists will tell you to avoid highly-processed foods in general, even those marketed for fitness use, and look for natural, direct sources of macros and essential nutrients like fresh meats, dairy, nuts, fruits, vegetables and whole grains. The high-density nutritionists will say pretty much anything goes; protein's protein, B12 is B12, sugar's sugar. The trick is getting enough of everything in the right balance on a reduced-calorie "budget" for weight loss, for which you need all the help you can get, so modern processed foods that pack more nutrients into each calorie, like protein bars, whey isolate shakes etc. are encouraged.

Lastly, both strength and cardio are important for weight loss. Strength training builds muscle, and every pound of muscle in your frame increases your BMR by about 40 calories, so it becomes that much easier to burn fat. However, cardio and other aerobic exercise encourages the body to burn fat more directly, and also provide a higher burn rate during the workout than lifting. That burn is also more easily and accurately estimated by fitness trackers. There are also combination exercises that both keep your heart rate high and force your muscles to go anaerobic. These include cycling (especially hill-climbing or interval training), rock climbing, stairclimbing, wind sprinting, burpees/popups, and other favorite torture techniques of school coaches and personal trainers alike.
  • Sherni823
    Sherni823 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I live off less than that and my tdee is 1,600 so...
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

This was thus far the most insightful and amazing comment I have gotten. I was planning on joining gym as soon as I move in my new apartment which is mid January, which also will be my official six months of 'trying to be healthy' life. I think the mindset of losing X amount of weight is what making me all tensed. I should be happy of what I have achieved and try to maintain what I am doing by not thinking too much. If I am able to maintain the routine I am following, which is good eating along with regular exercise and if then the scale remains the same, so as the tape, I would know that I have to do something different and if it works out, then I should be continuing what I am doing. I know it hasn't been much since I started, but I now am gradually realizing, it's about being steady, patient and consistent and everything pays off in the end.

Thank you. You were wonderful. Your comment somehow inspired me heaps.

Well, thank you so much. What you are doing reminds me of how I started when I finally "woke up" and decided to get rid of my extra baby weight. My nephew, who is also a trainer, sent me the link to MFP. I spent 6 months counting calories from a 1280 (basically a 500 calorie deficit) base and doing my own cardio, and then finally joined a gym, set up a home gym, and had my nephew set up a lifting program for me (I still remember freaking out when I got the list: "Romanian deadlifts???!!! Bulgarian split squats???!!! Garhammer--whats??? Aaaahhhh!!!") I wish I had started lifting from the start, because although I made good progress before, lifting is what made me start to get lean and strong. And thank God for MFP--one of the most powerful tools in my toolbox.

It seems like you are taking a sensible approach, having a lot of success, committing for the long term, and building a good foundation for the rest of your life.
  • frankie671
    frankie671 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 too and for years I tried to get by on 1,200 cals a day and doing tons of cardio. I wanted to look lean and muscular and never seemed to reach my goals. It wasn't until I started learning about fitness from MFP members that I upped my calories to 1,500 and started weight training. I'm now making good progress and have never felt better :) I'm about 120 lbs and I feel like I look much better and healthier than when I weighed 105 and definitely better than when I weighed 97lbs. Lighter doesn't always mean good things :)