Weighing food

Options
Hi! Just got a food scale and have some questions. Hope someone can help:

Do you weigh food raw or cooked? Hot or cold? Does this make a difference?

With salmon or chicken, is the 5 oz rec for the cooked weight?

As far as veggies so, I assume a cup of raw cauliflower would weigh more than baked. Would cool baked cauliflower weigh differently than baked cauliflower warned up?

Lastly...what's the best way to log food when there are SO many different options with such a variety of nutritional info for the same exact foods/servings?

Thank you in advance for your help...

Replies

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Hot things don't weigh more or less than cold things, but putting things that are too hot on your balance may damage it.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    As noted above, I will record my veggies as either raw (look for the USDA entries in grams) or with a specific cooking style: roasted, sauteed, steamed, etc. It's easier if you cook your own veggies, as you have the control over the amount of olive oil used or whatnot, and can get more accurate measures. For meats, you can also go with the USDA listing (or if you order in a restaurant, you should record the steak as 4 z, 8 oz, or whatever, even though it will be lighter when it gets to you.

That raises an interesting question though--I just follow the package for bacon, but is that inclusive of fat, or does that assume the fat has been drained off and not consumed?

Second, do your own research, and check packages and restaurant sites. Veggies cooked in restaurants are extremely deceptive, and they like to slather them in all kinds of butter and such, so if you look at their posted nutrition, rather than being 35 calories for a serving of broccoli, it will be 200 or 300 calories. Whaaat?!

In addition to being thorough in your research, it is best to build your own recipes in the recipe builder. That way you can start with definitively known USDA amounts for many items, rather than trying to guess with all the crazy entries in the database, including generic and homemade. I sometimes have to take a stab and rely on the craziness, in which case I will pick something that has a specific weight, and is at the higher end of the "middle of the road" calculations. There's still a ton of room for mischief there, and it is definitely an art form.

• Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question, I was also wondering....
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    sasaar wrote: »
    Hi! Just got a food scale and have some questions. Hope someone can help:

Do you weigh food raw or cooked? Hot or cold? Does this make a difference?

With salmon or chicken, is the 5 oz rec for the cooked weight?

As far as veggies so, I assume a cup of raw cauliflower would weigh more than baked. Would cool baked cauliflower weigh differently than baked cauliflower warned up?

Lastly...what's the best way to log food when there are SO many different options with such a variety of nutritional info for the same exact foods/servings?

Thank you in advance for your help...

I had this question a while back and it was answered here on the forums. BUT, what I've learned is this (just like quickeysilver was saying):
    I have frozen chickens in the freezer, I'm not going to thaw them out, weigh them raw and then cook them. I will throw them in the oven or on the stove, cook them, and then weight the cooked weight. I recommend weighing in grams over anything else because it's the most accurate. But, say I weigh my chicken and it is 160 grams. You must search for (for instance), boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked. 160 grams of cooked chicken will be more calories than 160 calories of raw chicken so you want to make sure you're accurate. If I'm concerned with something not being right on MFP, I will google it and hope that the usda has the right information. If you are cooking rice, I recommend weighing the uncooked part and searching for rice, uncooked and put in the weight. 1/4cup of uncooked rice will have more calories than 1/4 cup of cooked rice but again, weigh in grams instead of measuring in cups. I was just using that as an example. For popcorn that I make at home, I weigh the popcorn kernels and not the cooked popcorn. Also, be sure to look at the back of the label. For example, my Jenni-O turkey sausage states that it's 110 calories for 56 grams of COOKED sausage. So, I recommend to cook it first then weigh it. BUT, a lot of meats state raw on the labeling. All labeling is different so it's important to read all the fine print. And, it gets easier the more and more you do it. Good Luck!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Most US labels for food include nutritional data based on what is in the package. Unless it says otherwise. To check this, you can check the package. Such as if the nutritional label says 5 ounces = 1 serving, 10 servings in the package: is the total package weight approximately 50 ounces? (Put it on the scale, check.)

Cooking will change the weight because moisture 'cooks out'. So try to have your logging entry match with how/when you weighed it. Sometimes cooking does change the calories. Such as if you add butter/oil and such. So account for that. It can also decrease calories, such as draining fat out of browned ground beef. Look in the database for a cooking method that matches.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    If the label doesn't specify, it's the state it comes in. Otherwise, for generic stuff, just use the correct 'raw' or 'cooked' entry.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Hot things don't weigh more or less than cold things, but putting things that are too hot on your balance may damage it.

actually they do...I've tested it.

having hot items on a scale is not a big deal as it is usually on a plate as well.
  • sasaar
    sasaar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Another q to throw at y'all ...
    Anyone nervous about being TOO obsessed with the food scale? I'm on day 1 of using mine and can already feel the obsession coming on...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Anyone nervous about being TOO obsessed with the food scale? I'm on day 1 of using mine and can already feel the obsession coming on...

naw...I weighed everything while I was losing weight...but now that I am done I don't.

For example my veggies...I guesstimate..
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

Actually that's not entirely true. The process of cooking things removes water, and they will weigh less.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options

No, don't worry about it becoming an obsession. While you are losing you must be somewhat obsessive about it or you'll make too many mistakes, get frustrated, not see progress, and lose motivation. Sometimes you'll have to estimate and that's okay. I still build my sandwiches and weigh or measure most of my homemade meals and I'm on maintenance. I'm also comfortable estimating calories on social occasions. I've lost 104 pounds doing this and I don't want to gain them back. It's really easy now to keep track of what I eat and what I burn. It's totally worth it!
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    No, don't worry about it becoming an obsession. While you are losing you must be somewhat obsessive about it or you'll make too many mistakes, get frustrated, not see progress, and lose motivation. Sometimes you'll have to estimate and that's okay. I still build my sandwiches and weigh or measure most of my homemade meals and I'm on maintenance. I'm also comfortable estimating calories on social occasions. I've lost 104 pounds doing this and I don't want to gain them back. It's really easy now to keep track of what I eat and what I burn. It's totally worth it!

Agreed. Maintenance for almost six months now and I use my scale constantly. We have almost entered all of our go-to recipes in MFP now (my wife and I) using our scale to measure the ingredients. So when we eat dinner we pass the thing back and forth to each other to weigh our portions lol. Kids look at us like we're bonkers some days but hey, it works. It amazes me how much things weigh sometimes and how grossly inaccurate any estimation by size/volume would be.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Actually that's not entirely true. The process of cooking things removes water, and they will weigh less.

That is not true either. It depends on your method of cooking.

Hot things do NOT weigh more or less than cold things. If you have added water to prepare the food or removed water by cooking it that is much different than adding only heat to a food.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    Hot things do NOT weigh more or less than cold things. If you have added water to prepare the food or removed water by cooking it that is much different than adding only heat to a food.

Are you thinking Sous Vide? If you have another example please share. ;) I'm honestly curious. Even Sous Vide would lose moisture once it comes out of the baggie unless of course you count the drippings contained in the baggie or allow it to cool to a temperature that would not lose moisture by steam before removing it from the bag, even then I wouldn't be convinced it was the exact same weight. Keep in mind I'm talking strictly about food that comes in a raw state and is cooked in some fashion. Just for clarification.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

naw...I weighed everything while I was losing weight...but now that I am done I don't.

For example my veggies...I guesstimate..

Okay there is what is practically true and what is practically true.

Practically if you cook a food it tends to lose a lot of water which is why it weighs less, but all other things being equal simply making it hot doesn't change its weight. A cooked piece of steak is going to weigh a lot less than the raw meat it came from due to the loss of water (and some fat) but not due to actual temperature change. You can see that pretty easily by heating up something like a piece of metal and weighing it before or after, it won't change weight.

Practically speaking it is the loss of moisture leading to the weight change, not the temperature.

Although, if you want to be really REALLY technically correct heating something up makes it weigh more...just by such a ridiculously insignificant amount that it doesn't matter on a practical level. But adding energy to a system (any energy be it heat or rotational or whatever) will increase its mass and therefore its weight.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Practically speaking it is the loss of moisture leading to the weight change, not the temperature.

Agreed, it's the loss of moisture that's the end result.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »

That is not true either. It depends on your method of cooking.

The scale will often report a different number for very hot (or very cold) food because the food will actually heat (or cool) the air around it which creates miniature air currents around the balance and distorts the reading. So, it may look like the hot food weighs more (or less) than when the same food cools - even though the mass is the same.

Interesting note on the bacon question: We just bought bacon that had two calorie counts listed - one for raw weight and one for cooked. They are clearly assuming that most of the fat is drained and blotted from the cooked bacon as one serving (2 slices) was listed as 200 calories based on raw weight but only 60 calories after cooking.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Not at all. After awhile you'll get much more adept at eyeballing portions and realizing which things you really don't need to weigh. Most veggies have very few calories and being spot on for a 10 calorie difference isn't really worth the effort of weighing, IMHO. You'll also get a feel for which packaged foods are better or worse at actually being the serving size on the package. :smile:
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    I think everyone in this thread, including myself, is now obsessed with food scales like the OP feared. That includes the OP. You will be assimilated. ;)