to be lean, don't lean on the machine!

Options
c2sky
c2sky Posts: 487 Member
it's a cheesy pun, but I see people lean on exercise cardio machines all the time, or they hang off them. People, you are NOT getting as effective of a workout.

I own a gym, and I'm a trainer. People who have decided or have been told they cannot run, ask me how they can increase their workload on a treadmill. Typical question: "I've got the speed up to 4 mph, I've got the grade up to 20%, and I can go for an hour. I can't run, so how can I make it harder?????"

95% of the time, these people are hanging onto the bar on the treadmill. Their body is perpindicular to the ramp, not to the floor." I point out they would not be able to walk up hill that way outside. so I tell them to let go of the handle. In every case, they usually have to slow the treadmill down or drastically lower the grade. If, by some miracle this does NOT make it hard enough for them, I tell them to add a backpack or a weighted vest.

Same thing goes for eliptical, stair climbers, and staionary bikes. If you were riding on a real bike, for example, you would be super tired if you put all your body weight on your handles. Strengthen your core, work on balance and posture. If you MUST hold on, do so lightly.

Just a tip I thought I would pass on because I appreciate the support I get here:heart: , and because watching people hang or lean on equipment just bugs me!:grumble:

Have a great day!

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    i totally agree with you. I can walk fast uphill too if I hold onto the machine.:yawn: But I would rather really move it like real life.

But then I started to think what if those people can't walk on a TM without holding on. My DH can't walk on one at all he becomes disoriented.
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!!!
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!!!
  • GeminiStayFresh
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I see this all the time and just have to giggle.
  • c2sky
    Options
    i totally agree with you. I can walk fast uphill too if I hold onto the machine.:yawn: But I would rather really move it like real life.

But then I started to think what if those people can't walk on a TM without holding on. My DH can't walk on one at all he becomes disoriented.

I live in a retirement town, so we do have people with that problem. I tell them to hold on lightly, and keep the body upright, and not lean forward at the hips on a machine like an eliptical or lean back on a treadmill. Stay perpindicular to the floor, use full range of motion on the stair climber, and eliptical, and press from glutes. And again, hold on just enough for stability, but not for full support.

Now, I DO use trekking poles when I hike rough terrain, but I am still conscious of my posture and not putting all my body weight onto the poles.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I can't do a treadmill either, I fall! :laugh:

I do hold on to the stationary handles on the elliptical when I do the 30 second bursts of speed. I do that every 5 minutes of my 30 minute time. Is that OK?

On the stationary bike I try to just have my fingertips on the handles, except for the speed bursts.
  • c2sky
    Options
    Again, if you hang on during a burst, make it sure it is ONLY for stability, not support. My suggestion is try one hand first. It's not bad to put your hands on an upright bike or a spin bike, especially standing. Proper form on a bike (and I can say this because my husband is a cyclist, racer and cycling coach) is elbows slightly bent, without all weight on wrists. I hope this makes sense.
  • c2sky
    Options
    Again, if you hang on during a burst, make it sure it is ONLY for stability, not support. My suggestion is try one hand first. It's not bad to put your hands on an upright bike or a spin bike, especially standing. Proper form on a bike (and I can say this because my husband is a cyclist, racer and cycling coach) is elbows slightly bent, without all weight on wrists. I hope this makes sense.
  • c2sky
    Options
    And here's a thought, if you have any question. Take the exercise outside a few times. You see and feel the differenence real quick. When you're outside, assess what your body does on a hill, or when you ride a bike. Try to mimic that inside.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    thanks, I'll try!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Amen!!!!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Good advice! It drives me crazy when I see trainers at the gym working out in their spare time and they're leaning all over the machines. It sets a bad example. I hold on when I'm on the stairmaster because I'm a klutz, but I just lean my palms on the rail, I find if I wrap my fingers around, then I start leaning or pulling myself up. So just flat palms on the rail. You can really feel a difference.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    When I start headbanging and closing my eyes to rock out to my music sometimes I fall over and grab the handrail until that part of the song is over.

But today I almost started singing outloud on the treadmill in the gym :(

I just love music too damn much!
  • c2sky
    Options
    Good advice! It drives me crazy when I see trainers at the gym working out in their spare time and they're leaning all over the machines. It sets a bad example. I hold on when I'm on the stairmaster because I'm a klutz, but I just lean my palms on the rail, I find if I wrap my fingers around, then I start leaning or pulling myself up. So just flat palms on the rail. You can really feel a difference.

Trainers leaning on the machine?????? Says something about what kind of a trainer they are, maybe? And, lol, it reminds me that I never know who is watching what I do....
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've seen it often!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    LOL. I saw a lady on a treadmill last week with the incline as far as it would go. Her arms were locked straight in front of her hanging on. She was leaning back at about a 25% angle more or less! She needs to let go. Lean slightly forward just over your knees and activate your hams and glutes on those inclines!
  • c2sky
    Options
    LOL. I saw a lady on a treadmill last week with the incline as far as it would go. Her arms were locked straight in front of her hanging on. She was leaning back at about a 25% angle more or less! She needs to let go. Lean slightly forward just over your knees and activate your hams and glutes on those inclines!

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about, and it's even funnier when they strap a backpack on. I'm thinking , "Really, you walk up the mountain like that????"

But I put signs up, and I try to tactfully make suggestions, but they often ignore me. So unless they ask, I know they are not going to change what they do. That's why I'm posting this. If someone on this site is doing this, STOP....PLEASE. Not only are you not working out as hard as you think you are, you are being hard on the equipment, avoiding proper muscle balance and usage, and most importantly you look really silly!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just started doing this! I walk on a treadmill at a 15% incline at a speed of 2.5 because thats the slowest i can go without feeling like I'll fly off the back end.. eventually I'll get up to faster speed, but for now that works for me!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    That goes for people on stair-stepper machines that put all their weight on their arms to lighten the load. But hey, look how fast they are going!

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about, and it's even funnier when they strap a backpack on. I'm thinking , "Really, you walk up the mountain like that????"

But I put signs up, and I try to tactfully make suggestions, but they often ignore me. So unless they ask, I know they are not going to change what they do. That's why I'm posting this. If someone on this site is doing this, STOP....PLEASE. Not only are you not working out as hard as you think you are, you are being hard on the equipment, avoiding proper muscle balance and usage, and most importantly you look really silly!