Last question about weighing food

Options
OK so I'm making a stir fry for supper. Do I weigh everything raw (chicken rice and frozen veggies) and eye all 4 servings.

I ask cuz I know rice will weigh more after and chicken will weigh less.

Thanks!

Replies

• kekeke123
    kekeke123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    weigh everything raw and then when its cooked weigh the total of everything and divide by 4. or you can eyeball if you aren getting too specific
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    kekeke123 wrote: »
    weigh everything raw and then when its cooked weigh the total of everything and divide by 4. or you can eyeball if you aren getting too specific

So my calories come from weighing raw then? Awesome thanks!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    You can find entries in the database for both raw and cooked items like rice, chicken etc.
    I usually use a cooked rice entry - because it's easy to weigh out 100g of cooked rice as a serving. If you choose to weigh it raw, you will need to then weight it again after it's cooked and calculate and re-weigh your 1/4 serving.

For your stir fry, I would weigh all the ingredients raw and use the recipe builder to log the recipe. Once you have it in there, you can modify it next time you make a stir fry so it's time consuming the first time, but quicker after that
  • babypunkprincess
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    You can find entries in the database for both raw and cooked items like rice, chicken etc.
    I usually use a cooked rice entry - because it's easy to weigh out 100g of cooked rice as a serving. If you choose to weigh it raw, you will need to then weight it again after it's cooked and calculate and re-weigh your 1/4 serving.

For your stir fry, I would weigh all the ingredients raw and use the recipe builder to log the recipe. Once you have it in there, you can modify it next time you make a stir fry so it's time consuming the first time, but quicker after that

That's what I was reading about recalculating after as well. I'm still confused about that. Like tonight I am slow cooking a small ham. I'm going to weigh it before and after. But then how do I know how many pieces to make up 4 oz cooked compared to raw. I'm just confused that way cuz I know the ham will be lighter after its cooked and 4 oz cooked isn't the same as 4 oz raw. LOL.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can build it as a recipe in your diary. I've done that with soups and then when portioning it out into containers I used the food scale to try and get each portion as similar as possible, counted up the number of portions and then finished creating the recipe. I know it's much tougher when you aren't immediately portioning things out so when eating with my family I often weigh things cooked and make sure I find appropriate "cooked" entries for the items. Disclaimer: I'm VERY far from goal so weighing things cooked and using cooked entries in the database is fine for me. I might not have as much success doing it this way once I'm closer to goal.

I think the biggest thing here is that you are really carefully thinking about your portions and your food and you are using a food scale to help you. I think that's half (or more) of the battle right there, to be honest.
  • babypunkprincess
    Options
    Sometimes you can build it as a recipe in your diary. I've done that with soups and then when portioning it out into containers I used the food scale to try and get each portion as similar as possible, counted up the number of portions and then finished creating the recipe. I know it's much tougher when you aren't immediately portioning things out so when eating with my family I often weigh things cooked and make sure I find appropriate "cooked" entries for the items. Disclaimer: I'm VERY far from goal so weighing things cooked and using cooked entries in the database is fine for me. I might not have as much success doing it this way once I'm closer to goal.

I think the biggest thing here is that you are really carefully thinking about your portions and your food and you are using a food scale to help you. I think that's half (or more) of the battle right there, to be honest.

Ya I am watching my portion sizes too. My last question now tho is figuring out the difference between raw and cooked. Like tonight I am slow cooking a small ham. Raw the ham is 1 pound. And say it looses a few .5 oz cooked (using equal numbers here). How do I know how much 4oz raw is cooked? If the whole ham is .5 oz lighter do I just weigh out 3.5 oz cooked then?

My main problem is I'm not the best with math and I over think everything lol.

Other than that I think I have a good understanding of weighing foods.