Hashimotos & Hypothyroid: Help!!

Options
Hello everyone! My name is Deborah and I'm new to the community side but have been using MFP for years now. I have a 7.5 month old daughter who is still breastfeeding. My issue is that I have a hypothyroid and hashimotos and have a really hard time losing weight even with lower (between 1400-1600) calories and exercise. I've been the same weight (about 200 lbs at 5'5") for 5 months now!! Does anyone have these issues and lost weight? Any advice and success stories would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your intake?
    Gorgeous profile pic by the way. :smile:
  • Myaaka
    Myaaka Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Mostly weighing foods and inputting it on MFP. Not every day but mostly. Hard to do consistently with a baby. But I'm careful of what I'm eating. I don't keep any breads or sweets in the house and I don't eat out except for when hubby and I go on a date which is so rare! Haha!!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    i guess you posted right as i did.

if you keep your food scale out on the counter, it's fast and easy to weigh everything. do you check the accuracy of the database entries you choose? many are wrong - my all time favorite was posted about from a guy who ate a serving of potato salad every day. he chose the first entry, which he didn't even check; it was 49 calories for the amount he was eating, but it turned out the correct amount was 450 calories.

i notice that the people on MFP who sometimes weigh are the ones who can't seem to lose. it's hard to eyeball portions - for me, it used to be impossible, and still i'd prefer to weigh.

btw, there's nothing wrong with eating bread or sweets. just eat the amount that fits in with your daily calorie goal.

btw, that is a VERY cute pic :)
  • Myaaka
    Options
    Oh thanks about pic. Yeah that was a couple months ago. Still my favorite pic of me and my angel. :smiley:
  • hpacaro
    hpacaro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Andrea Beaman? I have heard her speak on this and she's awesome. I'm sure you can get some expert advice by following her online: https://andreabeaman.com/radiate-my-thyroid-what-no-freakin-way/
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Like the above advice - likely the reason is not weighting everything. Measuring everything for me on the scale takes like couple of minutes per meal and no more than 5 minutes per day. It is very easy. You should try to do it more consistently. Eyeballing has proven for so many people so many times to be the reason for not losing.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Are all your thyroid numbers good? And you take your medicine regularly like you're supposed to (approximately the same time each day, waiting at least 30 minutes after taking it before eating anything)? And you avoid taking supplements for several hours after taking your medicine?

If the answer to all of those questions is "yes" then the answer is very likely that you need to tighten up on weighing your food and logging accurately. If your thyroid is well medicated you should have no more problem losing weight than anyone else.
  • Myaaka
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Are all your thyroid numbers good? And you take your medicine regularly like you're supposed to (approximately the same time each day, waiting at least 30 minutes after taking it before eating anything)? And you avoid taking supplements for several hours after taking your medicine?

If the answer to all of those questions is "yes" then the answer is very likely that you need to tighten up on weighing your food and logging accurately. If your thyroid is well medicated you should have no more problem losing weight than anyone else.

Yes to all above. I will def log more consistently. I wasn't sure if maybe I wasn't eating enough since I'm breastfeeding full time. I'm trying hard to eat enough so my milk supply doesn't go down. But also low enough to lose weight. I'll try the logging and weighing more often. Thanks everyone