How do you deal with sugar withdraw??

Options
I need inspiration for avoiding sugar!

Replies

• Kupo98
    Kupo98 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I eat something sugary to maintain my blood glucose and avoid crashes or spikes.

Instead of just not eating any at all?
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Maybe get some frozen blueberries and snack on them!
  • Kupo98
    Options

Hey that's awesome!
  • Patrickjames16
    Patrickjames16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just try to pick things that hit the spot, but don't throw me off. Granola bar that has some chocolate on it or a couple of tootsie rolls.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    More protein helped me immensely with curtailing my sugar consumption, as did reducing my deficit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just don't bring the sugary items you have trouble controlling into the house.
  • Kupo98
    Options
    Thanks all! I love having some outside opinions.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm the same as Aaron. I eat sugar alongside nutritious foods since there is nothing really wrong consuming it. I mean, eating too many calories causes weight gain after all. Sugar gives me lots of energy, especially for jogging, and is not evil or poison. ;)

Fruit, vegetables, breads/cereals and dairy all have some form of sugar in them.
    united1974 wrote: »
    i eat a MARS, find it helps me to

work
    rest
    AND
    play

*sticks tongue out*

Well.... I have a SNICKERS .
    Because Snickers satisfies.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I have food.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,214 Member
    Options
    I never made an effort to stop eating sugar. If the amount of sugar I consumed decreased, it was only because I was consciously making other choices ... like choosing foods that were lower in calories but more filling.

For example, I tried to do the whole Greek yogurt thing, but I'm just not that fond of the texture of those yogurts. As it happens I prefer the texture of low cal yogurt.

And after work I had been eating a fairly large quantity of chocolate as a snack. I knew that didn't do me any good at all ... sugar spike then drop which didn't give me enough energy for my evening exercise, so it wasn't a difficult decision to eat cottage cheese and raw veggies after work instead.

But I still eat at least two pieces of fruit a day ... and on weekends I'll have chocolate covered granola bars while I'm cycling ... and after a long ride, I might have ice cream ...

However, if I do want something sweet and don't want to consume the calories, I will go for a glass of diet coke or a cup of rooibos tea (as is, no sugar or milk or anything). :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Basically I've learned for myself (not necessarily for everyone) when I calorie restrict to lose weight I need to eat more often. Not because I believe meal timing is somehow necessary for weight loss but I guess since I am eating less in any given meal I seem to need to eat more frequently to keep my energy going. Long times between meals can result in feeling quite tired so I typically try to eat something every three hours or so. I have no interest at all in avoiding sugar, I just eat whatever makes me feel less hungry. That is just me though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Sugar withdrawal isn't a thing, so don't worry about that. You certainly could get the low carb flu if you go low carb, but that passes (and isn't that bad, from what I've heard).

As for avoiding sugar, depends on the context--when are you tempted to overeat it?

I agree that if you want a sweet treat and it doesn't fit in the calories or you are trying to cut down that fruit might be a good substitute, but of course (as others have said) that's not avoiding sugar. I think it's often a good choice, though. I also have dessert options that aren't sugary (like cheese) -- high cal, of course! If you are tempted by sweet things at times you don't plan to eat, having a structure and getting used to it can be helpful. I know lots of people like grazing, but I do much better just eating regular meals (and a post dinner dessert sometimes).
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Hey that's awesome!

Thats eating sugar.......
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Sugar withdrawal isn't a thing, so don't worry about that. You certainly could get the low carb flu if you go low carb, but that passes (and isn't that bad, from what I've heard)...

You've heard wrong. It's pretty bad. Maybe you don't experience sugar withdrawal or perhaps you have never given it up? There are symptoms for some people.