Two shakes and one meal a day?

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she's thinking about those things, though, and doing this because it's an easier way for her (currently) to fit in meals vs. skipping them and then binging later.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    Rainbow No, I dont think OP has to do it long term - she can do if for as long as it suits her and then change to other food/drink items if they suit her better at another time.

She already said she has days where she consumes no shakes now. And she eats 'real food' for at least one meal a day on the shakes days too.
    So I assume when she eats out, that is one of those days - or at least the eat out meal is

and I assume she will eat somewhat differently in winter, just like all of us do - I eat far more salads in summer, for example - but I dont think Oh dear, what will I do in winter, I havent learnt to eat other foods.

Perhaps OP will have hot vegetable soup in winter instead of cold shakes (or perhaps not) - other than the half piece of fruit, only real difference between a vegetable shake and vegetable soup is the temperature.

I think you are seeing problems where there aren't any.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Rainbow No, I dont think OP has to do it long term - she can do if for as long as it suits her and then change to other food/drink items if they suit her better at another time.

She already said she has days where she consumes no shakes now. And she eats 'real food' for at least one meal a day on the shakes days too.
    So I assume when she eats out, that is one of those days - or at least the eat out meal is

and I assume she will eat somewhat differently in winter, just like all of us do - I eat far more salads in summer, for example - but I dont think Oh dear, what will I do in winter, I havent learnt to eat other foods.

Perhaps OP will have hot vegetable soup in winter instead of cold shakes (or perhaps not) - other than the half piece of fruit, only real difference between a vegetable shake and vegetable soup is the temperature.

I think you are seeing problems where there aren't any.

The OP asked for advice based on her current plan, i advised why i don't think that this is a good idea and the potential downsides.

I am not seeing problems, I am saying that from experience this generally does not lead to long-term maintenance of weight loss. If she can and has learned the skills she needs regardless, then more power to her. As stated, this is generally where people fail.

I provided my experience and advice based on her post.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Hate to quote myself... but...
    1160532_orig.png?resize=250%2C300

Do you have any friends, family, or colleagues which are constantly trying to get you to buy shakes, pills, or wraps? Maybe they want you to attend a “party” where you’ll receive a harsh sales pitch. Either way, a good rule of thumb is that if the company’s income is primarily from the recruitment of new sales distributors or marketing and not the products and subsequent research… It’s a scam!

But wait, what about the people who’ve had results with shakes, pills, or wraps? We want to be very clear that the mechanism behind all fat loss has to do with your body being in a negative energy balance. This means that no matter the product you must consume less calories throughout the day than you’re burning with your BMR and Daily Activity.

Shakes: By replacing a normal meal (300-500 calories) with a shake (90 calories) you are creating a calorie deficit. Note: this can be done without using a shake… Unfortunately, by replacing meals with shakes and not learning the basics of nutrition (calories, macro and micronutrients) you are setting yourself up for failure. By not learning to control your overall calorie intake through food which you enjoy and can actually maintain for life, you are dooming yourself to re-gain any weight loss. Because these “diet” plans are temporary, don’t teach you the skills you need to succeed, are unnecessary for weight loss, and cost a fortune we say: Don’t Even Think About It! If you can’t maintain your shake plan for life you will not succeed long-term.

But the OP is not replacing a 300-500 calorie meal with a 90 calorie shake, they are eating a 300ish calorie shake. Not that same thing at all.

• rainbowbow
    edited October 2016
    Options

Do you have any friends, family, or colleagues which are constantly trying to get you to buy shakes, pills, or wraps? Maybe they want you to attend a “party” where you’ll receive a harsh sales pitch. Either way, a good rule of thumb is that if the company’s income is primarily from the recruitment of new sales distributors or marketing and not the products and subsequent research… It’s a scam!

But wait, what about the people who’ve had results with shakes, pills, or wraps? We want to be very clear that the mechanism behind all fat loss has to do with your body being in a negative energy balance. This means that no matter the product you must consume less calories throughout the day than you’re burning with your BMR and Daily Activity.

Shakes: By replacing a normal meal (300-500 calories) with a shake (90 calories) you are creating a calorie deficit. Note: this can be done without using a shake… Unfortunately, by replacing meals with shakes and not learning the basics of nutrition (calories, macro and micronutrients) you are setting yourself up for failure. By not learning to control your overall calorie intake through food which you enjoy and can actually maintain for life, you are dooming yourself to re-gain any weight loss. Because these “diet” plans are temporary, don’t teach you the skills you need to succeed, are unnecessary for weight loss, and cost a fortune we say: Don’t Even Think About It! If you can’t maintain your shake plan for life you will not succeed long-term.

But the OP is not replacing a 300-500 calorie meal with a 90 calorie shake, they are eating a 300ish calorie shake. Not that same thing at all.

the concept is the same, for this reason only:

By not learning to control your overall calorie intake through food which you enjoy and can actually maintain for life, you are dooming yourself to re-gain any weight loss.

Unless the OP can maintain this style of eating forever (including switching out these shakes for the same calorie meals). In which case, more power to her. In my experience (and why i bothered to say this) is that most people cannot.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    As long as you are reaching your required daily calorie intake and you feel satisfied, you should be fine. Good job incorporating more veggies into your diet. The extra fiber definitely helps with hunger. However, be sure to drink lots of water or you may end up constipated.
  • rileysowner
    Options

By not learning to control your overall calorie intake through food which you enjoy and can actually maintain for life, you are dooming yourself to re-gain any weight loss.

Unless the OP can maintain this style of eating forever (including switching out these shakes for the same calorie meals). In which case, more power to her. In my experience (and why i bothered to say this) is that most people cannot.

I usually have a home had protein shake for breakfast, and frankly, I enjoy it a great deal. It is in that 300ish calorie range and keeps me feeling full until mid-afternoon. I having is all seasons, so that is not an issue. It works for me, and yes, there are days I feel like having something else, and that is not an issue either. However, the shake is far more convenient for me. I could go on eating like that just fine for years. I don't see any of the issues you mention being voiced by the OP. The question was whether this can be healthy, and the answer is yes if the OP is getting all their nutritional needs (sufficient calories, vitamins, minerals, and the like). There is nothing inherently unhealthy about this approach to eating. If it works for the OP, all power to them.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

I usually have a home had protein shake for breakfast, and frankly, I enjoy it a great deal. It is in that 300ish calorie range and keeps me feeling full until mid-afternoon. I having is all seasons, so that is not an issue. It works for me, and yes, there are days I feel like having something else, and that is not an issue either. However, the shake is far more convenient for me. I could go on eating like that just fine for years. I don't see any of the issues you mention being voiced by the OP. The question was whether this can be healthy, and the answer is yes if the OP is getting all their nutritional needs (sufficient calories, vitamins, minerals, and the like). There is nothing inherently unhealthy about this approach to eating. If it works for the OP, all power to them.

Certainly. I agree with this. I just thought it was a good thing to mention, considering i've seen many many people rebound trying to follow that "replace a meal with a shake" method.
  • rileysowner
    Options

Certainly. I agree with this. I just thought it was a good thing to mention, considering i've seen many many people rebound trying to follow that "replace a meal with a shake" method.

An I would agree in terms of say a Slimfast shake. However, in many ways that would be comparing apples with oranges.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

An I would agree in terms of say a Slimfast shake. However, in many ways that would be comparing apples with oranges.

I wrote that initial section in response to shakeology, bodybyvi, herbalife, and a few others after numerous people kept trying to sell it to me. Some chick i used to work with lost 80 pounds working with a personal trainer and using MFP, joined herbalife's "team" like a month before she reached her goal weight and used her before and after photos to boost her herbalife sales.

Within 3 years she had gained back her weight completely. :neutral:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I wrote that initial section in response to shakeology, bodybyvi, herbalife, and a few others after numerous people kept trying to sell it to me. Some chick i used to work with lost 80 pounds working with a personal trainer and using MFP, joined herbalife's "team" like a month before she reached her goal weight and used her before and after photos to boost her herbalife sales.

Within 3 years she had gained back her weight completely. :neutral:

well if she gained her weight back its because she either stopped eating in a deficit or stopped being as active or a combo of those things.she probably thought the herbalife itself would help her keep the weight off.something caused her to gain it back,some also think that once they lose the weight they can stop doing what they did to lose it and eat "healthy" and not gain it back. it doesnt work that way.Thats what I have seen from people who buy into the MLM and gimmick issues
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    lolliopopsnrainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi rainbowbow and Rileysowner,

Thanks for your responses. I'm definitely not using my home made "shakes" as a means of drastically cutting calories by having only 90cals per meal. Rather I'm using them as a convenient way of getting my veggies whilst hitting my macros. I often have days during the week (and almost always at the weekends) when I don't have any shakes at all, or just one in a day. I'm certainly not eating like this as some sort of disordered eating but as a convenient, tasty and affordable way of getting the food I need in my body without getting hungry and resorting to junk food to keep me going. If I cannot have my shakes then I will eat other foods instead. This is more about convenience than anything else, and a bonus has been that it works so well for curbing my sugar cravings!

I just wanted to check with you more knowledgable people that this is not something that is viewed in any way as being unhealthy or bad for me. Honestly, it's been a great discovery for me and I can see myself eating this way (particularly for breakfasts) for a long time to come.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Btw If anyone would be so kind to explain to me what shakeology means that'll great. I'm clueless as to what that means.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Mr_Ryder wrote: »
    Btw If anyone would be so kind to explain to me what shakeology means that'll great. I'm clueless as to what that means.

It is a MLM product from Beachbody which is really just a glorified protein powder that is extremely expensive.

• Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Mr_Ryder wrote: »

It is a MLM product from Beachbody which is really just a glorified protein powder that is extremely expensive.

Thanks. Well that's a let down.
  • mandalunia
    mandalunia Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have been using two protein shakes (CalSvelte Natural) for breakfast and lunch. I supplement with a little fruit or carrots or yogurt and have a small healthy snack then dinner with the family. I am going on 45 days or so of this and it is really easy to manage. In fact it is keeping me from binging because I don't wait all day then eat junk food when I am starving. I am getting my macros with minor adjustments and the weight is coming off at a steady clip. If I'm traveling for work or eating out for a meeting I bring my shake and order a salad or fruit or a slice of bacon if I want it.
    Honestly this feels like a very sustainable lifestyle change and even when I reach my goal weight (ages from now) I will probably keep having a shake for breakfast because it is easy, yummy and makes sure I get some fuel.

If it's working for you and you are feeling healthy keep it up.
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    lolliopopsnrainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    mandalunia wrote: »
    I have been using two protein shakes (CalSvelte Natural) for breakfast and lunch. I supplement with a little fruit or carrots or yogurt and have a small healthy snack then dinner with the family. I am going on 45 days or so of this and it is really easy to manage. In fact it is keeping me from binging because I don't wait all day then eat junk food when I am starving. I am getting my macros with minor adjustments and the weight is coming off at a steady clip. If I'm traveling for work or eating out for a meeting I bring my shake and order a salad or fruit or a slice of bacon if I want it.
    Honestly this feels like a very sustainable lifestyle change and even when I reach my goal weight (ages from now) I will probably keep having a shake for breakfast because it is easy, yummy and makes sure I get some fuel.

That's so great to hear. Sounds like you've got exactly the same attitude and are having the same experience with this way of eating as me
  • carmentownes
    carmentownes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think you are fine. I follow someone pretty inspirational on myfitnesspal who only eats one meal a day with no smoothies and he lost 100 pounds in a year. Im sure you will be fine. I just started myself and I lost 4 pounds this week. Good luck!