Anybody Else Get Like This?

Options
So I've been at this for 9 days and I'm definitely getting used to feeling mildly hungry at times and I'm ok with it. However, there are sometimes that I don't just feel hungry but I physically feel bad from the hunger (headache, shakey, woosie).

Today for example, I had my coffee and yogurt around 10:00 a.m. and by 11:30 a.m. I was hungry to the point that I had a headache and felt all shakey. I mean I had just eaten 1.5 hours ago! Not long enough to feel like this. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I feel like I need to eat pronto! In the past this feeling has caused me to binge just to feel better.

Does this happen to anyone else? How do you deal?

I just want to note that I am not restricting. I have been eating at or just right under my calorie limit.

Replies

• akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had this happen at the beginning. In my case, I had my calories too low (I was underestimating my breastfeeding calories ) and I had inadvertently gone quite low carb and I think my body just had a freak out lol. I added a couple hundred calories and made sure to keep my carb level more moderate and I don't have that issue anymore.
  • JustMary82
    JustMary82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's not the caffeine? I tend to feel that way if I have coffee on an empty stomach (or small snack)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes it happens to me and it makes things difficult. I think it's from low blood sugar... Do you eat carb heavy breakfasts?
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    You may want to think about how you distribute your calories. It might be that you need more in the morning. I know...that leaves less in the evening to look forward to, but like you said, feeling like that can lead to a binge. Hope you get this figured out!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    What's you current calorie goal? Height and weight. It could be possible (and sensible) for you to eat more.

Choices can make a difference too. Some people find full fat Greek yoghurt very satisfying, I don't so much (Skyr though is better!). So it could be a case of playing around with what you are eating and when.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yes it happens to me and it makes things difficult. I think it's from low blood sugar... Do you eat carb heavy breakfasts?

I usually just have a Greek yogurt for breakfast. I was eating those Rev Wraps that you can buy at the grocery, but realized that I was really not getting much for the 230 calories the wraps are worth.
  • kschwab0203
    Options
    macasey82 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not the caffeine? I tend to feel that way if I have coffee on an empty stomach (or small snack)

No, I don't think it's the caffeine. I make an 8 oz. coffee at 8 a.m. and literally will sip on it until noon.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Happened to me all of the time when I first started keto. After a couple of weeks (and adjusting my sodium intake upward) I was fine. You're very likely dropping out your blood sugar, but if you keep bringing it back up regularly, the symptoms will keep occuring. It takes the body some time to adjust to carb deprivation, if that's what you're doing (intentional or not).
  • Skworon
    Skworon Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Try adding a small hand full of your favorite nuts to your yogurt. When I feel like that it is low blood sugar, you need to keep it level. Protein will help you balance out your blood sugar. Good luck
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I usually just have a Greek yogurt for breakfast. I was eating those Rev Wraps that you can buy at the grocery, but realized that I was really not getting much for the 230 calories the wraps are worth.

Your mileage may vary, but Greek yogurts aren't that filling for me, plus some of them have a lot of sugar that tends to make me hungry a short time later. Oatmeal with a sliced apple is more filling to me. Two packages of instant unsweetened = 200 calories, plus the apple approx. 80 calories (depends on the apple) = 280 calories. Greek yogurts are about 150 calories, depending on what kind you eat. That's lower in calories but doesn't help if you are starving a short time later. You might experiment with something else.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have done this a time or two.. But I need to eat the right things and yogurt is not gonna help that very much for me (at least the brand I buy)..

Something with protein and even fiber. Eat regularly as you always have done..
  • kschwab0203
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!

I think I might try something like oatmeal that seems like it would be more filling or something with higher protein.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    This happens to me, it's my blood sugar being low. You may want to take to your doctor and possibly start monitoring your blood sugar.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I know that 4 oz of plain Dannon yogurt is 50 calories. Consider, if you finished the previous day's eating at 11:00 p.m. you had clocked 12 hours, half your TDEE, with 50 calories of nourishment. Your glycogen stores were low. Consider also, if you were active doing something after your evening meal yesterday, your glycogen stores would be severely depleted. Your brain was issuing orders to begin production of ketone bodies. That was the headache. The duration of the headache was the time it took to get suitable energy to the brain.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 2 boiled eggs for breakfast and it really keeps me full. I usually eat Greek yogurt with my breakfast too, but I can just have the eggs and coffee and be fine, but if I just have the yogurt and coffee I'll be hungry before lunch time.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If all you're having by 11:30 is a yogurt and a coffee, that would explain a lot! Consider a larger breakfast to head that feeling off at the pass!
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yeah I had similar issues at first. Was eating yogurt, then upped to yogurt and granola. That was better. Then I decided I still needed more food in the morning so now I have a "regular breakfast" and smaller/simpler supper.

I found out I wasn't hungry in the evenings anyways (as long as I kept busy)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I always eat to the point of being full. This is rule number one for me. Obviously then I need low calorie filling foods. This might not be true for other people but for me I can lose weight albeit slowly while eating completely normally (i.e. at a small deficit and big volume foods). If you feel hungry I would say (this is a personal opinion) you're not doing it right. My advice is to eat more, try a smaller deficit, move more (walking can do) to earn more calories to eat, research more low calorie filling meals.

You don't need to ever feel hungry to lose weight. That's what I love about it. You just need to be patient.

ETA: I totally distinguish hunger from a craving. I do crave stuff. But I never stay hungry.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    What about stealing a few calories from lunch to add a light snack, like an apple and some cottage cheese, or even a handful of almonds and a hard boiled egg?
  • alyangel123
    alyangel123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ive no idea why, im no expert but if i eat a bowel of yogurt or cereal for higher cals than egg whites i eat now, i feel like poop by lunch time. Yet eggs keep me going just fine. Maybe try swapping the yogurt for something similar cals wise but higher protein and just see what happens?