CARDIO???

Options
alright. I for one really do not like doing cardio. I know that's where a lot of fat shredding happens which is what I need. What should I do for cardio for someone like me who doesn't like cardio? Any workouts that would you guys would recommend?

Replies

• DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    No - there is no fat shredding. Live in a calorie deficit. Cardio - as far as fat loss goes - will burn a few more calories than you normally will just being alive - but it's not a sure-fire way to instant fat loss.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Cardio doesn't "shred fat". It burns calories, which helps create your caloric deficit (taking in less calories than you burn), which is all that is needed for weight loss. You could lose weight without doing any cardio at all - in fact, many people have - but cardio and strength training are beneficial for many other reasons.

The best workout is one you enjoy and will stick to doing. Life is too short to do things you hate. A brisk 30-minute walk five days a week is more beneficial than running one day and then skipping it for two weeks because you hate running so much. Bicycling, walking, running, kayaking, martial arts, swimming, rowing, basketball, hockey....whatever gets your heart rate up and sustains it there for at least 20-30 minutes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As a 19 year old male I'm wondering if there any sports you actually enjoy?
    Cardio doesn't have to be in a gym and it certainly isn't "fat shredding"!

My recommendation would be do something you enjoy and will keep doing.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I loathe gym based cardio and get no enjoyment or endorphins from it at all. But I love swimming and found that I'd happily do 45mins 4 or 5 times a week. I'd recommend trying loads of different types of cardio and then stick with what you enjoy.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Cardio is for cardiovascular health and fitness, fat loss happens in the kitchen.

Having said that regular exercise may make it easier to acheive /maintain that caloric deficit and numerous studies have shown that those who are active are more likely to keep the wight off in the long term.

Find something you enjoy (biking, swimming, hiking......your choice) personally with the exception of my Concept 2 rower I loathe the gym "cardio" machines. I'd rather run outside all year 'round than on a treadmill...
  • mrxtrmesports4622
    mrxtrmesports4622 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the insight guys. Yes I'm into sports but haven't been able to play them as of late. That's why I was looking for another option. I know nutrition is huge on fitness. Sometimes it's just kind of hard to figure out what to actually eat when I'm always on the go with school and work. You know what I mean? But I do Appreciate the advice and I will take your ideas into consideration for sure.
  • amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Figure skating. Most interesting and challenging full body cardio ever. I started five years ago, never did a sport before, now at age 40 am in the best shape of my life.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Cardio is for cardiovascular health and fitness, fat loss happens in the kitchen.

Having said that regular exercise may make it easier to acheive /maintain that caloric deficit and numerous studies have shown that those who are active are more likely to keep the wight off in the long term.

Find something you enjoy (biking, swimming, hiking......your choice) personally with the exception of my Concept 2 rower I loathe the gym "cardio" machines. I'd rather run outside all year 'round than on a treadmill...

I am with you on that...I'd rather run outside all year 'round as well. My only problem is when it is icy and I can only fair temperatures up to -20C. I will then go inside to the track or dreadmill!

As everyone says it doesn't "shred fat". I believe it is necessary for overall health. There are many ways you can get Cardio in. Running, swimming, cycling, walking, hiking, jump rope, using equipment at the gym, taking a HIIT class.....yes even Zumba would count :s ! Try it all until you find what you enjoy. If you want to lose than eat a deficit!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I know nutrition is huge on fitness.

the what now?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    The majority of my cardio consists
    Of walking the dog
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit "shreds fat". Cardio increases calorie expenditure. Do anything that you want.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When it's raining or cold out, I put on my ugly fake Ugg boots and crank up the radio and jump/dance around and let the dogs chase me and bite at my boots. A husky will b*tch and moan until you do something with him.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    cardio is anything that gets your heart rate going. hiking, swimming, dancing, playing tag, swinging poi, hula hooping, juggling, etc