Should I use the calories that I earn from exercise to eat m

Options
Kagard11
Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
I have only been watching my calories and not really exercising, and have lost weight. Today I did get off my rump and exercise and I put it in my diary. Before I exercised, I had 147 calories left to eat for the day. After I exercised, it added on the 190 calories I burned. The question is, do I eat the extra 190 calories? I'd like to think that I shouldn't to get the extra weight loss benefit, but part of me says eat it because I earned it. There may also be a third possibility for why I should use the calories on food, but I just can't think of it now. What are your thoughts???????

Thanks!

Kathy

Replies

• mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Yes eat them. The program is set up so you eat the calories earned. I'm glad to hear you have been successful loosing weight.
  • Loveslady2
    Loveslady2 Posts: 13
    Options
    Kathy,
    I'm sorry I do not know but I have the same question and I wanted to tag in so I can the answer also. Somebody help us.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    It is a matter of debate. My doctor and nutritionist say not to eat back exercise calories so I follow their advise.
  • kerrreee
    kerrreee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathy,
    This is a pretty controversial question on this web site, but personally, I eat back *most* (90%) of my exercise calories and am still able to lose weight. I am much more comfortable with the amount of food I can eat when I can add in the exercise calories. For me it is much less stressful and more sustainable.

Yeah, I could just fight the hunger and not eat them, and probably lose weight a little bit faster, but I'm in this for the long haul so slow and sustainable is my goal.

I would try eating them back at first and then tweak the numbers if you are not seeing results.

Cheers,
    Kerry
  • Beezo56
    Beezo56 Posts: 5
    Options
    I work out 67 times a week and I burn about 2000 calories a day doing it. By not eating those calories is allowing me to lose weight quicker than usual. Try it for a week and see what happens. Eat what you normal would and then exercise and see if you lose weight quicker. It works for me, I hope it works for you!!!!

Good Luck!!!:wink:
  • mssweetjay
    mssweetjay Posts: 142
    Options
    All I can say is that I don't eat the extra calories all the time. I just determine it on a daily basis!!!
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    This my big question of the day too and I am still trying to determine how to handle this too.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    It is a matter of debate. My doctor and nutritionist say not to eat back exercise calories so I follow their advise.

My question is, do they understand how this program works? If they haven't heard of this site, did you tell them to go to it and check it out? I really can't see how they would say that. I have read multiple accounts of people on here whose doctors/nutritionists originally told them not to until the person clearly explained the program and then they agreed that the person should.
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I work out 67 times a week and I burn about 2000 calories a day doing it. By not eating those calories is allowing me to lose weight quicker than usual. Try it for a week and see what happens. Eat what you normal would and then exercise and see if you lose weight quicker. It works for me, I hope it works for you!!!!

Good Luck!!!:wink:

With that huge caloric deficit, how do you find the energy to actually perform your exercises? There comes a point where you MUST eat more just to fuel the workouts. 2000 calories a day is a whole lot not to replace!
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Great feedback! Thank you! @dls06, thank you for that link! It answered a bunch of questions for me! I will try to eat back most of the calories to start as best as I can. Today I really feel satisfied, but I will be sitting to watch some tv soon, and I always munch when I do that or have an adult beverage. Tough question!
  • txfamilyof7
    txfamilyof7 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had that question when I first started too. I looked at it this way:

Let's say that MFP says you need 1800 calories to maintain your current weight. To lose weight, you need to consume 500 calories less per day; in this case, 1300 calories.

Working out in addition to reducing your calories will boost your metabolism and help you burn fat.

Knowing that, assume you burn 300 calories; this means you will intake a net of 1000 calories (1300 - 300). These 1000 calories are all that is supplying your body with fuel.

If you don't give your body enough fuel, it will hold on to its reserves (in this case, your fat cells), which makes it impossible to get rid of that fat.

1300 calories in this example is how much fuel you need to provide your body with, while still encouraging it to burn some of its stores (fat).

HTH!