Jean Sizing Help

Options
I looked for a previous post discussing the different numbers and what they mean and I couldn't find one, maybe I wasn't looking in the right places. So, I think it is time I need to go down another size. Right now I am wearing jeans that are size 8, 9, 9/10, and 30. What does this mean? A lot of the jeans I am wearing right now are from high school and I am confused on what size I should be looking for when I buy new. I read somewhere that even numbers were women's sizes and odd numbers were juniors. What about the ones that are 9/10? I would really just like to understand what the different sizing means. Is it a safer bet to just buy jeans that go buy inches so I should buy a 29 next? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    try them on?

sizes vary by shop, so you probably wont be one definite size everywhere.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Why not just go to a shop and try some on until you find a pair that fits?
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've found that regardless of even or odd, I stick in the same range of numbers. The higher numbers [20+] tend to be from manufacturers that also sell overseas, I've noticed.

AS FOR SIZING ITSELF. This should be useful. I know for a fact that lower sizes are relatively accurate, but still differ slightly by brand [some brands run small or large, can't get around it]. I buy second-hand a lot, so I've gone through a great deal of jumping brands. Plato's Closet is life.

http://www.missme.com/pages/womens-jeans-size-guide
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    9/10 is still juniors. I work in the women's department of a store and one of my brands comes in sized like that. I haven't seen too many women's brands go by inches, though.
  • EricaH7
    EricaH7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I buy my jeans used through an online site to save money right now while losing weight where trying them on is not an option. Regardless of whether I could try them on or not I would like to understand the difference in the sizing. Thank you for the helpful responses.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    24=00
    25=0
    26=2
    27=4
    28=6

And so on.

Sizing such as 2, 4, 6, 8 are women's, and all of the odd numbers are Juniors. If you're a 5, you might be a 6-ish in women's.

You don't have to buy, but go try some on in a mall near you..
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Online clothing sites post sizing charts. Look for your site's chart and you will see how inches or cm align with the sizes.
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    EricaH7 wrote: »
    I buy my jeans used through an online site to save money right now while losing weight where trying them on is not an option. Regardless of whether I could try them on or not I would like to understand the difference in the sizing. Thank you for the helpful responses.

The link I provided should be about right, RoxieDawn also posted it typed out.

We just can't 100% guarantee it as some brands are way off the market.

I'm an extremely tight 1 in Banana Republic, but Target's 00 jeans are falling off me [pulling the jeans out at the hip reveals a lot of unfilled space - can easily see my underwear with so much extra room in the gap].
  • EricaH7
    EricaH7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was more just curious of what the different sizes meant. So what I read before was correct? even numbers would be womens sizes so a little higher rise of jeans and odd sizes would be juniors jeans and sizes that show two numbers like 9/10 would be juniors as well?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I was more just curious of what the different sizes meant. So what I read before was correct? even numbers would be womens sizes so a little higher rise of jeans and odd sizes would be juniors jeans and sizes that show two numbers like 9/10 would be juniors as well?

The big difference between juniors and womens is the hips, not the rise. Juniors are made for teenage girls with no hips; womens for fully mature females whose hips have widened.
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

The big difference between juniors and womens is the hips, not the rise. Juniors are made for teenage girls with no hips; womens for fully mature females whose hips have widened.

I didn't actually know this. xD No wonder I've had to slowly return to shopping in Junior's sizes, my family has extremely small hips until we have kids [then BAM; but I'm getting fixed in about a month].