stomach fat - how do I reduce it?

Options

Replies

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi Pixel, do you mean the article I shared? It's from Prevention magazine, if you want to Google it is foods that reduce stress
    I also loathe those ads that want you to click on them, very annoying, and Lord help me, I wouldn't send those to anyone, and definitely not to a wide community
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Also agree with you things from Dr Oz sound dubious!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    stress is a physiological symptom, that leads to "weight gain" Stress= unhappy, unhappy leads to depression, depression leads to inactivity, inactivity leads to well Y'all get the idea... fact of the matter is A whole lot of things combined lead to weight gain...and a whole lot of things lead to successful life transformations TO the OP... only a steady and consistent caloric deficit will lead you to the results you are looking for. bear in mind that a caloric deficit not only reduces fat it also reduces muscle, so as you "diet" you will become weaker and feel less inclined to be active. Success is never guaranteed, BUT you can help your cause by thinking in terms of balance... and that starts with diet...not dieting... but monitoring what it is you are fueling your machine (body) with... begin understanding the context of Macros (carbs, fat, protein) as it applies to what you eat... think of balancing that with developing a healthy emotional life and a physically active lifestyle... if you make time to sit in front of the TV replace that with time to be outside getting fresh air and burning calories or if you can afford it spending time at a gym that offers several activities... and lastly... never mind the scale... IF you can concentrate on healthy active living then eventually you will look in the mirror one day and be totally proud of who you have become.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    1chana23 wrote: »
    Hi Pixel, do you mean the article I shared? It's from Prevention magazine, if you want to Google it is foods that reduce stress
    I also loathe those ads that want you to click on them, very annoying, and Lord help me, I wouldn't send those to anyone, and definitely not to a wide community

I saw the article, and after "Yuck, how could I have eaten all that?" it fades away saying it is premium and to sign up. Every similar article I have found is selling something. None link to actual scientific studies. I've found The Mayo Clinic saying to stick to Calories In, Calories Out... And to avoid cortisol blockers because it hasn't been found to be significant in any weight loss efforts [lots of anecdotal evidence].

And that is literally the article you posted... xD; Still a magazine, with lots of clickbait articles when I browse their site.

edit; I signed up with an old email that I don't mind gets spammed. The list is literally the same stuff every other health article suggests for snacks that fill you up and are nutritious. xD It just says "___ stops stress!" on every single vitamin/mineral/antioxident. That's it. Wow.

edit2;
    At the bottom, it suggests buying their diet book, which the article was adapted from. Explains that.
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Okay Pixel, I am on a phone so maybe it doesn't show me all that stuff! also when I go to sites like those on a computer somehow my eyes and mind see only the articles. The ads on the sides or bottom I've learned to ignore.

Fyi, the article was citing "according to researchers at the University of California at San Francisco Medical Center."

Since I'm a lay person at "Prevention " seems like a respectable magazine I thought it was reasonble. To be honest I don't have the resources or knowledge to conduct research to prove or counterprove what researchers do.

This is why I was asking Trigden to help us understand.

I saw his response and thought to leave it at that.

Pixel, what do you think about what they say re syress cortisol belly fat etc
  • nupururja
    nupururja Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Same for me. I have this last bulge on my stomach that just wont go :( I wonder if crunches, planks etc work like some say
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Hi Nupuruja sounds like you are saying you have lost all the weight you want to lose? Now you want your body to look different? is that the case?
    (Sorry I don't know the answer)
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Maybe try something like yoga which has different moves for the whole body, some if the moves are like planks. I don't know whether it will give flat stomach :/
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Okay Pixel, I am on a phone so maybe it doesn't show me all that stuff! also when I go to sites like those on a computer somehow my eyes and mind see only the articles. The ads on the sides or bottom I've learned to ignore.

Fyi, the article was citing "according to researchers at the University of California at San Francisco Medical Center."

Since I'm a lay person at "Prevention " seems like a respectable magazine I thought it was reasonble. To be honest I don't have the resources or knowledge to conduct research to prove or counterprove what researchers do.

Here are a couple research-based articles on cortisol:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/dietary-restraint-and-cortisol-levels-research-review.html/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/

Note that Lyle speaks of several different effects research has found that cortisol can have on weight loss, but central "belly fat" accumulation and cravings aren't among them.

As an amusing aside, in the first article Lyle touches on a point that correlates pretty nicely with the forums here (and many other dietary/weight loss forums as well):
    ...I’ve also pointed out that, in addition to certain dieting and training practices, there is a certain personality type that seems more prone to this. When I am being polite about it, I call them tightly wound. When less so, I say they are neurotic as hell. More accurately, they are neurotic about things like their body weight and eating habits. You can always tell these people by the online threads they start. It’s always “WHY AM I NOT LOSING WEIGHT?!?!?”. You can hear the stress in their typing...
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Is Bodyrecomposition website a magazine or blog by someone? Asking before clicking, thanks
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Is Bodyrecomposition website a magazine or blog by someone? Asking before clicking, thanks

It is a website with articles written by Lyle McDonald who is considered to be one of the leading experts on diet/nutrition.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

It's a website authored and maintained by Lyle McDonald, who is a respected trainer and researcher. He has written numerous books (which are offered for sale on the website), but the entirety of the content on his site is free - no popups, ads or spam BS, no requirements to provide your e-mail address to read them or any such garbage.

Basically, his site is a goldmine of information about nutrition, training and fat loss - probably the best, most comprehensive, evidence-based and accurate site you'll find on the internet.
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Ok cool thanks!
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    There is no way to spot reduce. You'll have to lose weight in general [overall reduction], and wait for it all to go down. Stomach was the last for me, because I had SO MUCH at the stomach compared to everything else. [edit; also, no harm in taking it slow, I have a LOT of extra skin from losing it a bit too fast]

Picture proof;
    V9sYyn1.jpgbiq4ywq.jpg

I was afraid that I have to keep losing to get a flat stomach :(
    But you give me hope!!!
    You look awesome, great job!
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options

I meant in the actual article itself, it says it was adapted from their book and to buy it.

While it says "According to researchers", it gives me no actual study that I may look up to verify. According to researchers, Black Holes may already have an exit. Without base studies, about anything may be put with "according to researchers" and be 'correct' in the fact that those researchers DO believe it, not that it is itself fully correct.

I bring this up due to the amount of essays I have had to write, where we had to be very particular about the science papers we chose.

For example, theories on our universe are all across the spectrum. Daughter Universe Theory, Infinite Universe Theory, Bubble Universe Theory, Multiverse Theory... All have their own researchers who believe in them, and all have conflicting ideas.

Until we actually find out genuinely what happens, they can say "According to researchers" all they want. Researchers are allowed to suggest different things AS they search... But if I have no hard data to back it up in the way of scientific studies, I won't 'subscribe' to it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

prevention is a magazine not a scientific journal.
  • Cbestinme
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi Pixel okay, I may have missed all the details you got from the article.

I saw the paragraph on stress and cortisol and took it for that.

Edit: Pixel what do you think about stress and cortisol or belly fat?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Lyle McDonald is credible.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

here are my thoughts..

eat in a deficit of calories = less belly fat
    eat in a surplus of calories = more belly fat
    eat at maintenance calories = the same bell fat
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My big thing when people start talking about cortisol is why major in the minors

Yes there are numerous studies on things which might make minuscule differences and blogosphere and magazine journos grab hold to write stories that extrapolate the interesting results of sound studies to superfoods and reasons why you're not losing weight

Honestly losing weight is a pain in the aardvark

We get it

But if you're not a highly trained athlete, if you're not extremely close to extremely lean (like within a couple of pounds) all of these facts and minutiae are a waste of energy, a delaying tactic and really an excuse