Cooking for picky family while trying to eat healthy

Options
This is a constant struggle for me. My husband and son, are the two most picky eaters on this planet. Is there anyone out there that has figured out how to maintain healthy eating, while cooking for a picky family, without becoming a short order cook???

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I cook for a picky family, I eat what they like but I eat the appropriate calories for me to maintain weight.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You could consider making meals where people pick and choose what they put on their plate.

You could reduce your portion sizes however this can be problematic if it's a very calorie dense meal.

You could supplement your meal with something they may not eat like additional vegetables or additional protein for satiety.

You could make something separate for yourself.

You could make whatever it is you are making and they can choose whether or not to eat it.

I realize that not all of these would be feasible solutions for everyone.

I do have one client who started I do have one client who started eating an entirely different meal from her partner at dinner end it has been incredibly helpful for her and her weight loss.
  • Boogie_on_woman
    Boogie_on_woman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    You could make something separate for yourself.

I do have one client who started I do have one client who started eating an entirely different meal from her partner at dinner end it has been incredibly helpful for her and her weight loss.

Thanks @SideSteel - I was doing the make separate meals for everyone for awhile - and it's kind of insanity inducing. I like the idea of just doing buffet style things - that would work I think. Very helpful!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hopefully there is a scenario where people are willing to compromise at some level.

This obviously depends a great deal on family dynamics but if you're comfortable doing so and you've not done so already, perhaps having a discussion about it with your family would also be helpful.
  • Boogie_on_woman
    Boogie_on_woman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Hopefully there is a scenario where people are willing to compromise at some level.

This obviously depends a great deal on family dynamics but if you're comfortable doing so and you've not done so already, perhaps having a discussion about it with your family would also be helpful.

Haha uhh yes they compromise after a bit of whining, sulking, and pushing food around the plate while looking at it like it's a bucket of worms :wink:
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I will normally pick a meat that we all like then make a side they love which I may eat a little but I will add a salad or healthier version to mine. Such as tonight I'm doing chicken. Then for side frozen corn because we all like it. But I'm also adding a side salad with light Italian. I know it's harder when you have a picky family. Luckily my family doesn't like very many fried foods.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    We do the buffet style thing. I cook something new almost every night, and put out fresh raw veggies or a salad, but I also put out the leftovers from the previous couple of days so they can eat those foods if they wish. It works well for us.

The only extra effort is making sure that I make extras for leftovers. Yesterday we had meatloaf, steamed and buttered veggies, mashed potatoes and salad. I used 3 lbs of beef, peeled about 20 potatoes, cut up 7 large carrots and peas, and made a huge salad - lots of leftovers. For lunch, hubby took the day before's meat and the leftover carrots and peas to work and ds#3 will eat the salad. Others will make themselves what they wish. Tonight I will make home-made chicken nuggets, warm up the potatoes and meatloaf, and make a cheese and broccoli casserole. Everyone will eat what they will from that.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Can I suggest checking out the Skinny Taste website?
    There are lots of kid-friendly recipes for fewer calories. Your husband can eat double portions, you can have the regular portion and veggies, soup, or salad as a side.
    Meatballs, chicken parmesan, soups, chicken fingers, macaroni and cheese, a thousand kinds of chili, etc. The kinds of things my pickier friends are happy to eat, but lighter versions.

One thing that worked for a number of my family members - encourage your child to take one bite of something new whenever it's available. They don't have to eat it all, just take one bite then go back to whatever they wanted. After trying a new food a few times, they started to like it more and eventually ended up eating just about everything - olive, pickles, sushi, salsa, veggies. I can see this being more challenging for you though, if your husband is talking about how gross something is or refusing to try it.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    FIrst of all, I make them cook one night a week. That way they know how it feels to invest your time and have other people complain. my kids cooked starting from age 7 or so with help. We have eaten a lot of bean burritos over the years.

Second, I will ask them to make a list of 20 dinners that they will eat without complaining. Then, we get the lists out and compare. They have a hard time coming up with 20 while I can easily do that and more. That makes the point that it is their issue, not mine. Also, we compare and can see that there aren't that many dinners that are common to us so someone is always going to be less than optimal. What can you live with? Add it to your list if you have less than 20.

Anyway, we work it. Make a menu and split up the cooking.

We also have a rule that you don't complain. Kids agree to this. If they don't like something, they follow up by saying "but good" and we all have a laugh.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Add bacon.

I'm only partly kidding about that. But do explore with various spices & lemon. They may need to get used to the cleaner tastes.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Fix what you want to fix and put it on the table...leave them with the options of eat it or go hungry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What are they picky about? What is your definition of "healthy eating?" I'm asking in all seriousness because one issue I see come up time and time again is an overly myopic definition of what constitutes healthy eating. Many people seem to think that healthy eating means bland and boring...lots and lots of salads and/or dried out, unseasoned chicken breasts with steamed broccoli, etc.

Healthy eating can be very flavorful and IMO, if you're preparing meals from scratch, whole ingredients or minimally processed ingredients, you're eating pretty healthy.

I'm making this tonight...

dsc_0079.jpg?w=620&h=932

http://honestcooking.com/braised-chicken-thighs-mushrooms-creamy-polenta/

If polenta is too odd then one could easily substitute mashed potatoes...and I know a lot of people aren't keen on mushrooms, but the mushrooms are what make this dish...but I guess you could just season and cook some chicken thighs with potatoes and a side of a more preferable veg.

About the only veg I can get my kids to eat right now are green beans...so I will make some for them and that'll just be more mushrooms for my wife and I.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That polenta looks tasty.. well, except the mushroom bit.

Honestly OP, I really don't make boring, bland food. Ok some of my kids friends were asking 'where is the cheese' when I made plain broccoli the other night when they were having dinner with us, but other than that, everyone devoured my mashed potatoes (not much butter, milk instead of cream) and turkey meatloaf (the skinnytaste recipe)... even the picky eater who doesn't eat onions.

Check up websites, learn to cook lower calorie versions of what everyone likes, or just pass on the potatoes/rice/pasta if it doesn't fit your calories.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I always just make the same protein for everyone. but everyone else gets calorie dense sides (fries, potatoes, rice) and I just eat veggies.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My family gets to veto things they truly despise or are allergic to, but if they want to leave all the shopping and cooking to me (which they do), then they get what I cook.

That said? I want them to "eat healthy" too, so I'm not going to short-order cook for them.

But I also dont' think that watching what I eat requires me to eat any particular specialty foods. I cook fairly regular meals with components that my teenage boy can eat more of while I eat less of. It's what I've always done, I'm just watching my portions more closely.

As above - what is it about what you'd like to be eating as "diet foods" that your family doesn't like? Is it actual high-calorie "junk food," or is it "I think I should be eating dry salad with boiled chicken breast, and they don't like it?"
  • dmsx3
    dmsx3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I plan the meals, shop for the meals and cook the meals so we eat whatever I say we eat.

I do try to take into consideration the things they like to eat compared to the things I can't fit into my calorie allowance. For instance, we all love hamburgers, I make myself a smaller patty with half a slice of cheese but lots of healthy toppings. Or I have a premade turkey burger. I buy smaller hamburger buns and whole grain if the calories fit. I made a healthified version of Shepards Pie with a topping of mashed potatoes and cauliflower to keep calories down. (It was on the Skinny Taste website that laur357 mentioned.) We even have fried foods sometimes (particularly fish) but I weigh it and only eat what I can afford calorically. The rest of that meal would include a huge chopped romaine salad.

It take a little bit of planning but it's doable.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of meals where everyone can build their own stuff and all I have to do it set out all the individual ingredients...like tacos or salads or loaded baked potatoes or nachos or spaghetti...so everyone can pick what things they want to eat or don't want to eat as they make their plate...my kids are older, so that may not work for everyone...I don't eat meat, so anything where I can divide the meat from the rest of the meal works for me.

Sometimes they even offer to cook components I'm not planning to add - it's always nice when that happens!
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    How old is your son? My kids are 6 & 9 and involving them in the food prep is a good way to get them to eat more things - plus a few extra raw veges while they are cutting them up. Even when they were younger, they "helped" with vege prep. And even better if we can grow something for the dinner - maybe just herbs in a pot. My son didn't even like potatoes until we grew some.

But if it's healthier for me it's also healthier for them, so that's what I provide for all of us.
    My job is to cook it, their job is to eat. If they don't want to eat what is on offer, then they can wait until the next meal!
    If I've made a curry that's too hot or something, it's quite acceptable they eat just the rice & naan bread and maybe have a piece of fruit after, otherwise it's get what you're given or go without.

Sometimes our servings are different - DH gets more meat and carbs, I have a higher proportion of veges/salad. The kids get some of everything, but small quantities of things I know they don't really like (yet - sometimes they grow to like things).
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    A woman on my feed will make beef stir fry with veggies or peanut cashew chicken for the family, but forgo the rice that they eat.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    When I grew up there was a 'have what you're given' attitude. Your husband should share the cooking or am I talking crazy here? Or you just switch your main dish - i.e. if they are having fried chicken, you have fish but the same sides?

Yes, ask your husband and child to share the cooking and maybe they will have an attitude change,