Butternut Squash

Options

Replies

• goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Had it with steamed spinach garlic onions and chicken leg. Delicious.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How do you cut this stuff without hurting yourself? It's very hard & difficult to work with.

#1. Get a good chefs knife. Everyone should have one chefs knife.
    #2. Slice of the bottom so that you have a flat surface to work with.
    #3. Stand it on the flat edge and use veggie peeler to skin in.
    #4. Lay it it flat and slice off the top.
    (now you got rid of the hard tough ends)
    #5 Stand it back up on the flat end and slice in half.
    #6 Scoop out the seeds and dice.
    #7 Toss with a bit of oil, salt, pepper and italian seasoning blend and into a 425F over she goes.
    #8 Toss every few minutes until done to your likeness. I like mine slightly charred.
    #9 Stop yourself from eating couple pounds of it lol :) in one shot.

I do steps 1-4 and then cut into disks, but Step 1 is the big one. A good heavy chef's knife with a sharp blade is so much safer for tasks like this. A good vegetable peeler is also essential.
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    butternut squash tortellini from laurainthekitchen.com Its a fabulous tasting pasta dish that incorporates butternut squash in the cheese sauce. Its also low calorie per serving.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I too have grown butternut squash in my garden this year. So far I have yield 13 squash. I pretty much have squash every day and it is so low calorie. My go to recipe is to peel, cube and drizzle 1/2 TSP of olive oil over it. I then salt, pepper and add fresh thyme. I bake for 20 minutes at 425. BTW....I eat the entire squash myself for dinner. My husband won't touch it. LOL More for me.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    How do you cut this stuff without hurting yourself? It's very hard & difficult to work with.

I watched a YouTube video after cutting myself numerous times. Microwave first helps a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXcRFUM2MRg
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    Get yourself a vegetable spiralizer, then you can cook it with olive oil and butter, salt and pepper. Hey presto, or maybe hey pesto! Low carb vegetable pasta is great!

I suspect you're thinking of summer squashes rather than a winter squash like butternut.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I really don't care for the many pureed squash soup recipes out there (or blended soups in general), but a chunky butternut squash soup like this one I can really go for:

http://naturalwellnest.com/2013/03/20/recipe-chunky-butternut-squash-soup/
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My favorite squash! Butter and Maple Syrup/ bake it in the oven...
  • alma_stars
    alma_stars Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Butternut squash in a curry is amazing. I usually cut it into chunks with sweet potatoes and boil, and then, add them into the curry at the end. Some peas and chillies go wonderfully with it as well.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Get yourself a vegetable spiralizer, then you can cook it with olive oil and butter, salt and pepper. Hey presto, or maybe hey pesto! Low carb vegetable pasta is great!

I suspect you're thinking of summer squashes rather than a winter squash like butternut.

@vingogly butternut squash noodles are fantastic, as are rutabaga noodles, broccoli stem noodles, parsnip noodles, beet noodles, and a ton of other vegetables. The flavor of the seasoning/ingredients just has to complement the vegetable.
    p90wb0i8voqx.jpg
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Butternut & Black Bean Chili: I made this last week and it was really good, although I think it needed more tomato. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/butternut-squash-and-turkey-chili.html

Chicken Butternut Tagine. This is in my regular repertoire, although I usually omit the olives. I usually serve it over cauliflower rice. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-butternut-tagine
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    microwave it ? WHO KNEW!!!!
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You can also steam or roast it then put it in the freezer for later use in soups, chili, casseroles, etc. I use it for soups throughout the year.
  • vigilynn
    vigilynn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    roast thin matchstick size butternut squash in the oven, just sprinkle with smoked paprika and roast for about half an hour until crispy. Just like fries only better!
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »

I watched a YouTube video after cutting myself numerous times. Microwave first helps a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXcRFUM2MRg

This made me laugh because...a year ago, on Halloween day I decided to have Butternut Squash (how seasonal, right?).

It just so happens that when I cut it in half...I sliced my hand with it.
    It was literally split open. When I got to the hospital the staff couldn't tell if I was dressed up or if it was real.

But yeah, I LOVE squash. I make spiralised squash almost everyday! LOVE it to bits.

Also love to fill the insides with meat or beans and nuke it for a good 10 minutes...it's my favourite veg for sure.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »

You CAN actually spiralise squash (AND SWEDE!)...but it needs some microwaving and cutting up first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YewJIpJ-hM

http://www.mindovermunch.com/PDF/Oct8_ButternutSquashMethods_MindOverMunch.pdf
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Roasted is my favorite! Cut into slices put in a baking dish with a bit of water at the bottom. Salt and pepper. I don't peel one side, so they sit in the pan on their skin side. Takes anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes. I like it best when the tops turn brown. Spread on butter at the table or olive oil or natural is good too. Sliced avocado with that makes pretty much a meal.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Easiest way to deal with butternut squash: slash skin on whole squash (to prevent an explosion). Wrap in foil and place in a dish (it will leak). Bake in a medium oven (250F to 400F) until a fork easily pierces the foil and reveals the squash to be soft. Scoop it out as you need it, discarding (or finding other uses for) the peel, stings & seeds. The cooked squash or parts of it will last in the fridge for 2-3 days.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    This one is easy:

Cut the butternut squash into chunks, put in a soup pot with dried lentils, cover with water, bring to a boil, then throw in a 5" strip of kelp for flavor and simmer on low until the beans are soft. Eat with brown rice and steamed greens.