Food addiction

Options
Does anyone here believe in food addictions? Has anyone beat it or have any tips? I'm ready for a lifestyle change.. But I've relied on food to help me cope with so many things. I've tried coming up with other outlets, but it's just not the same

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Food does not have power over you, so no, I do not believe in food addiction. Food is what keeps us alive, too much is not good. Addiction to drugs is real.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's not a helpful way to frame it for me, and I don't think it really fits (I do think there are eating addictions, but I don't think they are that common).

The more important question is what do you mean about addiction and does that framing help you? I definitely think that people can get into habits/patterns of using food for self comfort (I struggle with this) and that feeling out of control around food (or some foods) is common and that there are good strategies to deal with this if that's the issue.

There's an emotional eating group if that's something that is an issue for you.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think it is real in the sense that it has the inability to suppress the behavior of overeating, despite the negative consequences. That behavioral aspect is common in addiction, and the probably the thing I've seen addicts in my life struggle with the most, even after any chemical-related drive has left the body.

I think things like therapy can help with that, if one is comfortable and able to pursue those services. There is a thread here that's not been active for a few weeks, but if you feel like sharing in the topic, it may reignite the discussion: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10454010/emotional-eaters-and-food-addictions-area/p1
  • Carchick94
    Carchick94 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Food addiction wasn't the best way to put it. I guess I'm just unsure if I have an eating disorder or if this is just a common thing as to why people gain weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating is very common. I know I used to do it, but with time and work it can be overcome. Some foods definitely can "trigger" my brain to say, "more, more, more," so I'm careful to not get started on those foods.

I have a whole list of them. :lol:

This is a commonly discussed topic, you're not alone - but you can learn to stop doing it.

Something that helped me was to say to myself, "If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Food addiction wasn't the best way to put it. I guess I'm just unsure if I have an eating disorder or if this is just a common thing as to why people gain weight.

It's probably a common thing many of us can relate to, but if you are more specific it would be easier to say. Also, being specific about what you are struggling with can often help with finding a solution.

I hope this was clear from my post above, but I was not being critical of your use of the word addiction, even though it isn't what I'd choose. I also thought Side Steel's post was really worth reading.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I beat a sugar addiction.

Just takes time and determination like anything else. Though I find it funny I quit cigarettes cold turkey in 1 day with no problems, but it took me years to get to a point where I was no longer addicted to refined sugar.

I also quit wine.

You can do it if you want to.

I find exercise is a good substitute- I love going for walks, going on hikes, weight lifting, sprint intervals, stairs, yoga... I didn't always like exercise either, my favorite thing used to be wine & some yummy snacks while sitting on the couch watching a movie. I still like that of course, but now I enjoy getting out in nature or going to the gym just as much and it actually feels even better afterwards because you get the endorphins and it makes your body happier & healthier instead of lethargic and fatter.

Maybe try that? You can still have treat foods in moderation and within your daily calorie limit- and use exercise and being in nature to make up the difference for your mental/emotional needs. Very therapeutic.
  • Jleigh225
    Jleigh225 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Addiction is a strong word but there is certainly an association. Your brain's top priority is protecting you from stress so when you take part in an action (like overeating tasty food) to create nueron pathways that cause you to have lower stress levels your brain will in a sense guide you toward that behavior when you are stressed. It's a learned pathway. This can be lessened over time. I've made some great progress in my emotional eating/food addiction journey by going to therapy to discuss underlying emotional issues and by also finding my triggers and taking action against them.

For example, I do not keep food in the house I like to binge on. I do not weight myself every day because any failure on the scale makes me want to give up and binge.

Your first step is to work on emotional management techniques that help you manage negative emotions more easily. Also working through any trauma that has been stuffed down is important as well.

Second, is to work on implementing healthy habits without severly restricting your food intake. That will often cause a binge, being hungry is a trigger for everyone. You are a human being after all! Just implement small changes that are doable every few weeks or so. Drinking water, adding in more vegetables and protein where you can, eating more fruit, taking a walk, journaling your food etc.

Be kind, patient, and compassionate with yourself. Changing behavior takes time but you can do it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here believe in food addictions? Has anyone beat it or have any tips? I'm ready for a lifestyle change.. But I've relied on food to help me cope with so many things. I've tried coming up with other outlets, but it's just not the same

I think first you have to look at the things you are coping with...those are the underlying issues and in my experience those have to be addressed first. Are this big issues or are they normal everyday stresses? Bigger issues might require some one on one therapy for awhile...I had to do about six months worth after my dad passed away. For coping with every day stress and modifying ensuing behavior you could look at cognitive behavioral therapy...this will also help with the anxiety that can come along with making life changes.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't know whether or not the medical community would consider it addiction but at least for myself food was a means of self medication. My only way of feeling pleasure in a very difficult life and a means of releasing stress.

The only was I was able to start really getting a handle on my eating and my weight was to deal with the things that made me need to eat to feel better. For me that meant totally rearranging my life from my job, to where I lived. Taking up a martial art let me feel safe as well as a good stress reliever. It helped me to be less easily stressed and bothered by intense situations. Gave me confidence to try for a job that I wasn't sure I had a chance of getting. (I got it!!) This allowed me to move into a home that was a better fit for my needs.

I found a lot of truth in the zen saying

Nothing changes
    I change
    Everything changes.

Changing myself from the inside out took me a number of years. It was well worth the effort. :)
  • supermanda28
    supermanda28 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Food addiction yes, I ate constantly. Splurging myself with goodies, ate just to eat because I could.

I am not a dog so I've learned not to treat myself with food anymore. I gave up the "I've had a good day so i deserve a candy bar" mentality. Now I eat what my body needs to thrive, I won't let food define me. I even leave my snacks in the car so if I want one, I have to work for it. Took me a long time to make my relationship with food positive, I had to dig down deep within myself to reprogram my habits.
  • StacywithaY
    StacywithaY Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I binge eat, gorge myself to the point of super uncomfortable. I have found that I can eat sensibly for a certain period of time (say 6 days out of 7) but then I have to get the urge out of my system. So I will let myself binge, and then I will return to sane eating practices. I don't think it's something I'll ever shake and I'll never be the kind of person that can eat just a small piece of cake (pie, icecream, chips, whatever) so I don't let myself even start down that road... Till the seventh day