Monounsaturated fat

Options
I'm really confused at why this app targets a goal of 0g monounsaturated fat when this is good fat, anyone kknow why this is? I get that they are guidelines but can't work out why even as a standard guideline it is set at 0g.....if anyone can advise I'd be grateful, cheers!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Because there is not a nutritional guideline to the amount people should eat, so they can't set a goal for that.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Because there is not a nutritional guideline to the amount people should eat, so they can't set a goal for that.

exactly this.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Yes, but MFP used to show the goal as N/A, but then changed it to show 0 in software updates in early 2015. I just don't understand why MFP won't change it back to N/A to stop the confusion.
  • izzie218
    izzie218 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think it's because nutrition labels don't have a % daily value for monosaturated fat and there aren't really guidelines for the amount you should consume. It's great for your skin, hair, and immune system so you should definitely be having some. You can change you daily goal with the regular or premium version of MFP. Right now I'm trying to eat at least 15 grams per day of monosaturated fat but I have my goal at 20. Hope that answers your question!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    izzie218 wrote: »
    I think it's because nutrition labels don't have a % daily value for monosaturated fat and there aren't really guidelines for the amount you should consume. It's great for your skin, hair, and immune system so you should definitely be having some. You can change you daily goal with the regular or premium version of MFP. Right now I'm trying to eat at least 15 grams per day of monosaturated fat but I have my goal at 20. Hope that answers your question!

Although the individual goals of Poly Fat and Mono Fat are undefined and should be labeled as not applicable (N/A), the sum of the goals of Poly Fat and Mono Fat is defined and equals the goal of Total Fat minus the goal of Saturated Fat, given the goal of Trans Fat is zero.

Goal (Poly + Mono) = Goal (Total Fat - Saturated)

Just plug your daily goals for Total Fat and Saturated into the above equation to find your daily goal of Poly Fat plus Mono Fat.