Recipe discrepancy

Options
nowhere123
nowhere123 Posts: 29 Member
Does anyone find a lot of discrepancy between the nutrition information for recipes advertised on certain websites and the import recipe function on mfp?
Example: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2220666/healthier-chicken-balti

The kcal per portion is 217 according to the site. But once i import it the kcal value is 702.

Apologies if this is the incorrect forum.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Did you double check each ingredient for accuracy? There is a garlic, for example, that automatically loads and is like 700 calories. Most of the time it's not exact, but the weight of their "medium onion" and mine may be different, but it's pretty close.

I just tried it. Did you see that the 85g of raw spinach is showing as 2000 calories? It should be about 20.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    yeah, i've found a few discrepancies when i've imported. i usually go through the ingredients and replace with the stuff i actually buy. a lot of the items on the MFP database have been added by members, you're going to get typos and weight discrepancies, like the 2000 calories for spinach. really annoying though.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    When I've tried to import a recipe, I've had to go through and correct most things, because MFP defaults to some insane "ingredients." I wish I could remember some examples, but they were really random and entirely inappropriate for a recipe. It should default to USDA information for most things, like the spinach.
  • nowhere123
    Options
    Did you double check each ingredient for accuracy? There is a garlic, for example, that automatically loads and is like 700 calories. Most of the time it's not exact, but the weight of their "medium onion" and mine may be different, but it's pretty close.

I just tried it. Did you see that the 85g of raw spinach is showing as 2000 calories? It should be about 20.

I didn't, truth be told. Good point!
  • nowhere123
    Options
    When I've tried to import a recipe, I've had to go through and correct most things, because MFP defaults to some insane "ingredients." I wish I could remember some examples, but they were really random and entirely inappropriate for a recipe. It should default to USDA information for most things, like the spinach.

Good points about going through the imported ingredients. thanks.
  • TaraUrbanski
    TaraUrbanski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had 2 cups of cubed potato as an ingredient and I think it "read" it as 2 potatoes based on the info provided. I actually weighed the potato and knew the amount in grams so that helped me edit it so as to be more accurate. I think it does it best to match to what's in the database and the amounts don't always match. I've never imported a recipe from a website though so not sure on how accurate that is. I do find that lately I definitely have to check all the numbers when scanning a product. Items being matched by scan aren't quite right.
  • sandykadd
    sandykadd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong , but I can't even get as far as that! Every time I try to either import a recipe or manually enter one, I can no longer find that recipe saved anywhere in mfp or having been logged in the dairy. Thanks for any suggestions?
  • nowhere123
    Options
    sandykadd wrote: »
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong , but I can't even get as far as that! Every time I try to either import a recipe or manually enter one, I can no longer find that recipe saved anywhere in mfp or having been logged in the dairy. Thanks for any suggestions?

Here is the process i follow:
    Click Recipes / Enter new recipe
    Give it a name and enter a number for "serves"
    click "add ingredient" and search for your ingredients (you must use a min of 2 or 3 i believe)
    hit save

Then when you are entering a food item in the diary you just hit "recipes" and it should be listed there.