1200 Calories?!

Options
O.k. so I understand that you have to reduce caloric intake and burn more calories to lose weight but can anyone give me some tips on surviving on how to only consume 1200 calories? I feel like I'm starving!

Replies

• Emshea86
    Emshea86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat REAL foods, none of this lowfat/low calorie stuff...it just will leave you starving! Eat lots of protein, fresh veggies, and fresh fruit. Try not to eat anything processed (super tough, but super doable).
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    1200 is the MINIMUM you should eat daily. It all depends on your height, current weight and activity level. If you feel like you're starving, eat more! MFP as guidelines depending on what you set your activity level as. Follow those.
  • kuarta
    kuarta Posts: 65
    Options
    Hi. Are you drinking lots of water? Besides being healthy, it gives you the feeling of being full.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Do some Exercise so you will have more calories in a day. On most days though I do stick to 1200 or less. My Diary is open.... not saying it is the healthiest but it is open!
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Exercise! That'll give you extra calories.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Lots of Produce!!! I eat a lot of it and struggle to get to 1000 cal./day (because I'm so short my nutritionist has me on a lower than normal count).
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary to give you any suggestions, but I am also on 1200 calories, and It takes a little bit to get used to it, but you eventually will find that some days can be difficult to reach 1200. I've also heard over the years that the more sugar you eat, the more you crave more sugar, and the more you eat. I have found that to be espically true when i eat a sugary breakfast, I get hungrier earlier in the morning. Add me as a friend if you'd like. Feel free to view my diary to get some ideas.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Lots of non-starchy vegetables and leafy greens, plenty of fiber and water, protein sticks with you longer than carbs and eating multiple small meals are all good strategies while your body re-calibrates to the lower caloric intake.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I agree with the real foods answer. I was at about 1200 calories a day and felt full all the time. take a look at my diary if you wanna you just might have to scroll back a bit :)

Also yes the more exercise the more calories you get to eat! And Drink water or pure ice tea anything with no calories and no sugar. You will not end up drinking your calories that way and save room for more food.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Eat a huge variety of foods a day, but eat them in smaller portions. Work out for more calories.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Exercise so you can eat more! I swear, one of the best things about this site is that it motivates me to exercise more just so I don't go "over" on my calories. Another tip is to make almost everything you eat be as low-cal as it can be. Skip the mayo and cheese, add lots of veggies to things to fill it out and streeeeetch it. You will find amazing ways to cut down on the calories. Pre MFP, my favorite egg sandwich was probably close to 600 calories, with bread, mayo, cheese, two eggs, hot sauce, etc. Now it's 250, and still tastes really good (admittedly not AS good, but come on). I also eat a lot of sushi, because one roll is less then 200 calories and fills me up.

Edit: I should have clarified, I eat a lot of HOMEMADE sushi. It's fun, nutritious, and delicious. I can post a recipe if people want, but it's very easy.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I think I tried 1200 calories for not even a week. I was so cranky because I was hungry all the time. 1200 calories isn't for everyone. I upped my calories to 1400 and felt much better, more energy, better mood, and felt less restricted.

If you chose your weight loss to be 2 pounds per week then MFP probably set you up with 1200 calories a day. With 40 pounds to lose, try 1 pound a week for weight loss. That way you have less of a deficit but will still lose and be able to eat more. Try it out and see what you are most comfortable with. Good luck!
  • clynch08
    clynch08 Posts: 6
    Options
    i am on the same cal intake as you. im definetly learning my way through it. its hard and on the days i go over my limit i look at what i could have done different. i was looking at what people wrote on here and i think that eating raw fresh fruits and veggies help as far as snacks. and lean proteins. honestly the veggies for snacks seem to help and they keep you fuller longer.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    stay away from junk foods and empty calories like sodas, iced teas and fruit drinks that are light but high in calories and fat. instead, eat plenty of fruits and veggies that are quite heavy on stomach but only has fewer calories. also don't forget the whole grains but eat it in moderation. drink lots of water also especially before you eat so you will feel full.
  • mnsmith83
    mnsmith83 Posts: 128
    Options
    protein and complex carbs/dietary fiber digest slower, keeping you full longer. Chicken breast, quinoa, legumes, beans, etc, will help you curb your appetite without eating through all your calories. And I agree, exercise! You can eat more the more you move!
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Your body adjusts to it.. I lowered mine to 1200 calories a day, and actually find it difficult to hit most days, because I'm making smarter eating choices.
  • rhinojoe
    rhinojoe Posts: 21
    Options
    Exercise. You can eat all the extra calories that you burn! 30min of walking at a moderate pace (3mph) will net you another 200 calories!
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    1) Protein makes you feel full.
    2) Fiber helps you stay full, especially those whole grains.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Exercise will definitely help add calories. Although I'm so used to 1200 now, that a lot of times I have a hard time getting there! I usually eat about 250 calories for breakfast, morning snack, and lunch which leaves 450 for dinner. Find things you like in those ranges that are healthy and filling. I found eating back about half of my exercise calories has increased my weight loss.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    With 40 pounds to lose, try 1 pound a week for weight loss. That way you have less of a deficit but will still lose and be able to eat more.

Agreed. Also, be sure to add some exercise to your day and you should end up with a decent number of calories to eat.