Do running or other forms of endurance exercise age a person

Options
Hi! I was googling something and came across an article saying that running (especially for long periods of time) can drastically age a person. I am a runner and this is somewhat scary to me, since I run often and am 25. I feel if I am not careful I could end up aging terribly. My cardio sessions are only 60 min average. I used to do 90 minutes but found it to be a waste of time and it made me incredibly hungry.. so aside from a rare 90 minute session all my sessions are 30-60 min. Some are even shorter at 20 min if I just run 5k.

Opinions or experiences ?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Can you post that link from Google?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, the people I run with sure don't look their ages - they all look YOUNGER.

My mom turned 50 this year and people think she's in her 40's, lol. She runs a LOT.

In my experience, the opposite is true.

~Lyssa
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Here is a comparison pic of me.

Left, a year ago when I first started running. Right, now, after doing 1,500 km including three half marathons.

F28AF5A5-495A-4F8D-ADB7-0C79A676092F_zpsdlris5ii.jpg

Were the dozens of people saying I look 10-20 years younger lying? :open_mouth:

<3<3<3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Left, a year ago when I first started running. Right, now, after doing 1,500 km including three half marathons.

You look great! :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't run ( do lots of other stuff) and I've still managed to age- 63 times so far.

Must be a dammed of you do, dammed if you don't kind of thing.

Cheers, h.
    ( sp so I don't get 'kitten'ed)
  • Kellikat80
    Kellikat80 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I started running a few months back. The only thing I can think that would age me is the running time in the sun. I wear sunscreen, but think I'll get me a running hat!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was googling something and came across an article saying that running (especially for long periods of time) can drastically age a person. I am a runner and this is somewhat scary to me, since I run often and am 25. I feel if I am not careful I could end up aging terribly. My cardio sessions are only 60 min average. I used to do 90 minutes but found it to be a waste of time and it made me incredibly hungry.. so aside from a rare 90 minute session all my sessions are 30-60 min. Some are even shorter at 20 min if I just run 5k.

can you define 'long periods of time' and 'drastically'??
  • btrsun10
    btrsun10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

No they are absolutely NOT lying. You look fantastic! <3
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

I do not think that running for 20-60 minutes is running for long periods of time.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's the case... I've been running on and off for the past 5 - 6 years and most people say I look younger than my age.
    The thing that I notice is that when I lose weight, my face gets thinner and the wrinkles are more obvious. That's not a reason to stay fat though (oops!)