Logging what you plan to eat rather than what you eat ?

Options

Replies

• peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I always log ahead. I am more apt to stick with my plan. Now when I don't stick with it, I just delete what I didn't eat, and replace it with what I did. It's easy to fix.
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Honestly I always try to log everything the night before on weekdays. I just don't have the time to "log as I go" and I don't want to forget anything. It doesn't mean that I always stick to the plan, but it lets me divide up the calories for the day so that I don't end up with like 197 cals. for dinner :) By now I know about what I can switch out too. Like say I decide not to eat the pretzels I bring with lunch, I know I can have some goldfish as a snack after work. I don't hit submit until the end of the day tho. It's just a personal preference and I think it really depends on your schedule.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 pounds by planning my meals in advance and logging them before I ate. I would, of course, be honest and make any adjustments throughou the day if my plan changed. But by planning ahead, I *knew* what I was eating, what I could add, where I needed to cut back, etc. It really really worked for me.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I don't click the submit button to complete that days entry until the end of the day when I truly am DONE for the day.

Good for you - I should be more disciplined.
    My problem is that I honestly think I'm done for the day, but sometimes am up for hours longer and find myself eating again !!!I :laugh:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've done the planing in advance and it's great! Just make sure to remember to change it if you went off plan.
  • NeverTry
    NeverTry Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I actually started doing this a few days ago. Logging in the night before, when im satisfied and not hungry.
    I have found that, for me, its better to know what to eat/make at each meal.
    I also just log it to 1200 calories, so if i do some exercise, i get a few more snacks/bigger serve etc. and just add it in later.
    Leaving the meal decision to the moment isnt really that good for me. This makes me not have to think about food all day.
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies!! I think I will keep doing it this way and see how it suits me for a while!! :D
  • bac0s
    bac0s Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I log the following day each night. I've lost over 60 pounds this way... Planning has been my key to success.
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If actually find that this helps me to do it that way. Allows me to plan my meals, think about my day. But I do sometimes have to make changes and I don't feel bad for doing it. It all about thinking about what you are eating.
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    I do this! it helps me eat better!
  • carolsings1
    carolsings1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've done it both ways. I started with a complete plan for the day for the first week until I got familiar with the number of calories foods have. Now I kind of plan. If I know what I'm having for a meal I'll put it in then work the rest of the day around that meal recording as I eat. Since I've learned what some of the calorie counts and nutritition content is for the foods I eat regularly I'm more comfortable with a loose plan. I'm still not comfortable just leaving the meals to chance tho because then I will overeat. I think you have to do what brings you the most success. I find planning works best for me. All the best to you as you continue on this journey.
  • BonLou76
    BonLou76 Posts: 36
    Options
    Yes! I think it helps. I do it with breakfast and lunch alot so I can see how much I am putting in my lunch for work (so I don't pack too much!). About to do that now actually since tomorrow night will be the first time I've eaten out (ACK - holy terrified!!) since being on here! I'm trying to plan my day so I don't go crazy at Olive Garden(yum)! :)

8812617.png
  • aprilmwilson
    aprilmwilson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I typically spend a few minutes in the morning plannng out my food for the day and logging it on MFP. If anything changes over the course of the day, I go ahead and adjust the log. I track my water as I go and submit at the end of the day.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I usually always log breakfast, lunch and snacks in the AM. Since I don't usually plan ahead for dinner, I know how many calories I have left for it and can stay in range when I get home from work.

I do the exact same thing on weekdays, because I eat the same thing every day for breakfast and snacks. Lunch is whatever frozen leftovers I grab, so I can easily log that. Then, I know how much "dinner" I have left to eat. This method works for me and keeps me on track.
  • jessicazanebell
    jessicazanebell Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I log my days the night before. That way In know I can have a good breakfast lunch and dinner with snacks in between and something sweet at night. This way I can manipulate my meals by adding or subtracting certain ingredients until I am at my caloric intake. If you eat something then log it you have no way of taking away what you already ate.
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I like to know what my day is going to look like the night before when I pack my breakfast and lunch and when I am thinking about what to make for dinner the next night. I find that I don't overeat and I generally stick to my "plan".
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I plan it all out. I only eat what I have planned. When I used to wing it (and log after I ate it), I didn't lose.
  • beckyann858
    beckyann858 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I usually always log breakfast, lunch and snacks in the AM. Since I don't usually plan ahead for dinner, I know how many calories I have left for it and can stay in range when I get home from work.

That's EXACTLY how I do it too! Sometimes I don't eat everything I brought with me to work, so if I'm running late fixing dinner or something, I can just eat whatever I brought back home with me since it's already been counted.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    When I have classes I always log a snack food or something I'm likely to eat on campus. If I don't end up eating it I just delete it from my journal :) I find it very useful because then I'm set on eating that particular thing and not changing my mind to get something unhealthy on campus. It also lets me plan how much I can eat when I get home.
  • nuttytart770223
    nuttytart770223 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I tend to log as I eat something, I have it on my phone so I can log even if I am away from the PC.
    But on days like last Saturday when I was going on for a hen night and had already picked my menu
    choices in advance, I logged the food in the morning and that gave me an idea of how many calories
    I was going to go over, then I could go to the gym and earns some extra calories to account for the meal.

If I dont log as I eat I will forget and that is dangerous for me personally :flowerforyou: