Anyone doing Ketogenic?

Options
Just looking for a fellow ketogenic dieter? I'm in it more so for the fitness element of long distance running but the fact that it is helping with weight loss post baby is a bonus

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    curious, why do you need a ketogenic diet to help with distance running?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I follow keto but I am not a runner.

Here is a youtube video about someone who is an ultra runner on a high fat diet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96VZFklUM_Q
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I JUST started back on Keto today. I'm also a long distance runner (I cross train with weight lifting and other things though).

feel free to add me

I'm relying on test strips this time though. Only because I need the extra motivation to keep going when I'm craving carbs.
  • sachageeson
    sachageeson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I follow keto and IF.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    nicnicmoo wrote: »
    Just looking for a fellow ketogenic dieter? I'm in it more so for the fitness element of long distance running but the fact that it is helping with weight loss post baby is a bonus

It can be helpful if you are truly looking at being an ultra runner or something...not so much if your running distances require speed to be competitive.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE is doing keto.
  • johnneedhamSr
    johnneedhamSr Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am doing Keto. I am currently 94 days in.
  • johnneedhamSr
    Options
    I guess I should add "KETO FRIENDS" welcome add me. BUT Keto only

• johnneedhamSr
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    curious, why do you need a ketogenic diet to help with distance running?

Because fat is a steadier and virtually endless source of energy. Therefor the fuel used for a long run does not end as sugar and carbs do, or unlike the glycogen stored in muscles that runs out. That is unless you have ZERO 0% body fat.
  • ACrazyNightOwl
    ACrazyNightOwl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started Keto about two weeks ago. I'd love some keto friends.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I'm keto-ish. You can add me if you like. Been doing it for 7ish months now.
  • kmdt1981
    kmdt1981 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started....I'm on day 4
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OP, I also suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group herein MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • shannon5346
    shannon5346 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Day 4, down 5 lbs!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    OP, I also suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group herein MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Ditto this. The group is very helpful and friendly with quite a few keto'ers and keto friendly advice.
  • OmadWarriorChick
    Options
    I've been researching (both by reading about and experimenting with my own diet) keto for a couple of years now. I like the way I FEEL when being fat adapted. Feel free to add me.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

Yep...ditto this too. Love this group!!
  • rerez2015
    rerez2015 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have lost 177 lbs. switching over to a Ketogenic way of living. I also do Intermittent Fasting.
  • brighteststitcher
    brighteststitcher Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    shanae727 wrote: »
    I JUST started back on Keto today. I'm also a long distance runner (I cross train with weight lifting and other things though).

feel free to add me

I'm relying on test strips this time though. Only because I need the extra motivation to keep going when I'm craving carbs.

there are some other symptoms you can use if you don't want do buy the strips (dry mouth, nasty taste in the mouth, etc) - but I do like the strips. There are times when I'm absolutely certain I've gotten kicked out of ketosis, but the strip says otherwise!