Runners?

Options
2»

Replies

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    You'll find varying opinions on how to add distance, and you'll have to weed out what works for you, and what doesnt, through some trial and error.

What works for me has been alternating between weeks of long runs with more rest days (so lower overall mileage for the week with fewer runs, but much longer single runs), and weeks of shorter runs and fewer rest days, but more mileage total for the week.

For example, last week, I did one 6 mile, then a 10. The week before, I did a 7 mile, and an 11. This week, I've done a 4 and 6 mile, and have three more runs, a 5, 4, and another 6, working speed on the 5 and 6. I've found that alternating schedule helps my knees, and allows my muscles to recover better.

That's just what has worked for me, but any distance you add (say, a quarter-mile extra per week total, whatever you decide), should be gradual, or else you'll end up with injuries.

Good luck!
  • SoDakRunner
    Options
    I really liked the book "The complete book of running for women" by Claire Kowalchik. It has plans to get you started and then it also has 5k, 10k, half and full marathon plans for beginners, intermediates and advnaced runners. Its a easy to read and has tons of info on nutrition, stretching, injury recovery, etc, etc. Hope this helps!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Bump! I am a new runner and have the same question. My ultimate goal is to run the Disney Land half marathon in September 2012. Fourteen months to get there!

That was my very first half-marathon in 2007! That's a fantastic one, and so much fun!
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I started running last spring and have built my distance up over the past year. I am currently training for a full marathon this October.

I love John Stanton's book "Running". It's a great resource.

Keep your small weekday runs the same distance and increase your long run each weekend to build your distance, but by no more than 10% a week, to avoid injury. Keep your pace slow and you will be able to go farther. 10 minute run / 1 minute walk is a great way to get your legs used to working for longer periods of time.

Good luck!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here! *waves*

I've rounded up all my tips for new runners into my blog post, "20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started", hope it helps!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi

Im on week 3 of C25K (which I have downloaded on to my iphone). I would defo recommend this program.
    x
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I started running 9 years ago while battling breast cancer. I was 44 years old and had never run a step in my life!! I had no idea "how" to run. I signed up for a 5K when I met a super good runner and he told me I should try running. Well, I had no clue what to do, how to run, or how races were organized. I thought you *HAD* to run or be disqualified. I was DYING!! I had never run 3 miles before. Every volunteer that I passed I would ask... "am I almost there"????? At about mile 2.5 I HAD to walk briefly (hoping that the running police wouldn't see me). I finished and literally collapsed on the curb saying "I can't do this". Somehow I found out that you are allowed to walk. Soooo I came up with a plan. I would walk 2 minutes then run 2 minutes until I built up my stamina. I did this during races for a couple of months. Then one day I was running a race and was on a downhill when my 2 minute timer went off and I figured I could keep running. I ran for 6 minutes before I walked the 2 minutes. After that I never used the 2 minute plan again.

Last year I got involved in ultra marathoning and trail running (at age 51). It has become the love of my life. The stresses of road running just aren't there. The scenery is beautiful and the vibe is much more laid back. That's not to say that you don't worry about your time. I'm running a 50K on Saturday with a 10 hour cut-off that I'm super worried about making!! But trail runners are a way more laid-back bunch than road runners!!

I've heard great things about the Couch to 5K program. Just remember to take it easy and listen to your body. Take injuries seriously! But... most of all... have fun!! If you have fun, you will become a lifelong runner!!

Good luck!! :drinker: