Funerals

Options
So I lost a dear friend this week. He was my cousin. And let me put this into perspective. For25 years he's been at all my major life events. He has spent the last seven Christmases at my house with his children. I know his children. They also stay at my house. He has come for a visit and stayed a month. I've treated him to suite tickets at sporting events, dinners, lots of fun family times.

This week I was told that his funeral service was for family only. I wasn't invited. Stupid me. For 25 years I thought I was family. What do you say to these people? Really?? Come get your clothes out of my closet then? Who is so important they have to limit attendees at their funeral?

I'm beyond hurt. Am I being too Sensitive?

Replies

• Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Funerals can be expensive, but I think you should have been invited. Sorry for your loss.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    That's really rough, and I'd be very upset also. Funerals are expensive yes, but not on a per-head basis. I can think of no reason why you'd have not been invited.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I'm sorry for your loss.
  • BarbaraJatmfp
    BarbaraJatmfp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wow!

Is there someone in the family you can call and tell them you felt like your cousin WAS your family? to tell them how much your cousin meant to you when he attended your major life events, sporting events, family dinners, etc.

Is there something about his death that families tend to limit attendance, such as drug overdose, AIDS, etc?

A funeral is necessary for closure. It always makes me feel better to be around other people who valued my loved one as much as I did.

You really need to talk to someone BEFORE the funeral because you really need to go. If you let this go by without appealing to them, you will always have a hole in your heart. Maybe they don't understand how much he meant to you.