What do you eat post-workout?

Options
What do you eat for your post-workouts?

Replies

• Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Protein shake or something that has a lot of protein.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Whatever I am having for lunch
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Protein bar or rice krispie treat
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    We dont have protein bars, or shakes, and the store didn't have sweet potatoes in stock today. (Usually I have one with my dinner). We just grabbed some few items until we can actually go shopping. We have rice, various lentils, squash, cauliflower, brocolli, pastas, spinach, bagels, potatoes, onions, hummus, Carrot's,quinoa,chia seeds, oatmeal, and eggs. I'm vegetarian, so these are the things that are vegetarian friendly we bought and some we already had for the time being until we have more time to shop.
  • vessiangel
    vessiangel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Creatine with karbolyn(fast carbs, gatorade works the same way), hydroisolated protein shake, white rice within an hour.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Protein 30-60g with 5g of creatine. Then a meal as soon as possible after that.
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    generally protein, and carbs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lunch or dinner.
  • Mariaj0809
    Mariaj0809 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    which is the best way? To eat before or after workout?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Mariaj0809 wrote: »
    which is the best way? To eat before or after workout?

Both, I eat every 3 hours, so technically
    Always have a pre and post work out Meal
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Ideally for a post-workout snack you want an approximately 3:1 ratio of carbohydrate to protein. Muscle glycogen is depleted while working out and this needs to be replenished after your workout. After exercise is when your body is primed to uptake carbohydrates to top off the tanks of your muscle glycogen. Simple carbs are best as they are rapidly metabolized. While the main focus immediately post-exercise is carbohydrates, adding in a little bit of protein helps to enhance muscle recovery and growth. Eating more protein immediately won’t help, and in fact can slow down the replenishment of muscle glycogen. Combining a simple carbohydrate with some protein in the 3:1 or 4:1 ratio is what is recommended. I usually work out before a meal so I don't worry about any particular snack post-workout. This is for relatively intense or long duration exercise. If you are just doing a light workout you don't necessarily need to eat anything post-workout.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I prefuel and refuel with 3 or 4 hard boiled eggs, depending on how hungry I am. It's quick, easily packed and effective.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    Ideally for a post-workout snack you want an approximately 3:1 ratio of carbohydrate to protein. Muscle glycogen is depleted while working out and this needs to be replenished after your workout. After exercise is when your body is primed to uptake carbohydrates to top off the tanks of your muscle glycogen. Simple carbs are best as they are rapidly metabolized. While the main focus immediately post-exercise is carbohydrates, adding in a little bit of protein helps to enhance muscle recovery and growth. Eating more protein immediately won’t help, and in fact can slow down the replenishment of muscle glycogen. Combining a simple carbohydrate with some protein in the 3:1 or 4:1 ratio is what is recommended. I usually work out before a meal so I don't worry about any particular snack post-workout. This is for relatively intense or long duration exercise. If you are just doing a light workout you don't necessarily need to eat anything post-workout.

Just a few minor points:

1) You kind of mention this but the majority of people are not performing glycogen depleting training.
    2) If you're not performing ANOTHER glycogen depleting event in the same day, and you're eating a meal or two in between, you're going to replete glycogen regardless of whether or not you're accurately time post workout carbohydrates.

I really think glycogen repletion should only be a consideration for athletes performing multiple glycogen depleting events within a short time frame.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch. Whatever that may be. Nutrient timing isn't important at all to me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Just my next planned meal..
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk. Replenishes carbs + proteins after a good weightlifting workout.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Lunch after lifting.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Protein bars, fruit, pretzels..whatever I feel like. Lunch depending on the time of day.
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Breakfast. Usually 2 eggs and 2 pieces of turkey bacon, with a cup of tea.