Is losing weight slowly really worth it

Options

Replies

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I see it as a change of lifestyle, rather than a diet ... have lost 20K in the first year, and been in maintenance mode for a year now. I only weigh once every quarter, and my weight remains extremely steady
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I guess when I think of compliance I'm thinking of the numerous daily threads and experience of seeing friends restrict too hard in order to lose quickly. They then can't keep it up and as above, rebound and then some as they compensate for over-restriction. And whilst you can reasonably safely restrict hard for 4-6 weeks, most people have a lot more weight to lose than going balls to wall for that short a time will achieve.

Those here who appear to be most successful are those who have a sensible deficit (and this of course varies depending on TDEE) and just get on with living and changing habits over the long term.

Of course this is anecdotal and I don't profess to know if this is total fact. Just my own personal and personally observed opinion.

As to the muscle loss but isn't it correct that the body can only metabolise so much stored fat in a day? And the muscle sparing diets require quite specific training methods and diet? not for the faint of heart or, I would have thought, for those with a lot to lose? I could be wrong though. Always learning.
  • MeganCannon
    MeganCannon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've always heard slow and steady wins the race. As of today I have lost 20 pounds over three months, but I don't feel like I am dieting. I cut out fast food and heavy lunches and just started to watch my calories. What I am doing feels real and sustainable.
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you want the weight to stay off, then you need healthy habits. I've kept the weight off now for about 3 years, based on 3 simple habit changes: daily exercise, portion control at lunch and only occasional, limited snacking after dinner (maybe I've slipped a little on that last one). That's hardly a "lifestyle change" is it? It's both easy and pleasurable.

The problem with losing weight fast is that you are not developing the healthy habits that will keep you there once you stop dieting. This is not excuse-making, it's future-building. This is for the rest of your life, so why rush?
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I believe to win you have to play the long game. Think about you a year from now. Would you choose being 52 pounds lighter at 1lb/week or the same weight you are right now? The year will come and go. Where would you like to be?
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I started out losing faster, around 1.5 to 2 lbs. per week. It was too hard for me to keep up the deficit needed to keep losing that fast and I quit tracking for about 3 months and gained some weight back. I realized I just needed a smaller deficit so I started tracking again. Now I'm losing on average just under a pound each week. I honestly don't feel like I'm even restricting my calories. It's taken me 18 months (including that break where I gained) to lose almost 40 lbs. Now that I only have about 20 lbs. until I'm in the normal BMI range I'll probably bring my calories up some and lose the rest even slower and I'm completely fine with that. I'm learning how to eat so that maybe, one day, I won't have to track everything.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    As to the muscle loss but isn't it correct that the body can only metabolise so much stored fat in a day? And the muscle sparing diets require quite specific training methods and diet? not for the faint of heart or, I would have thought, for those with a lot to lose? I could be wrong though. Always learning.

I believe that the fat metabolism limit is a myth and more governed by how much of a deficit a person can create.

Muscle sparing diets aren't a specific thing. Anyone trying to lose weight should be looking to retain muscle mass. Eating adequate protein and undertaking resistance training to stimulate the muscle is key.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I guess when I think of compliance I'm thinking of the numerous daily threads and experience of seeing friends restrict too hard in order to lose quickly. They then can't keep it up and as above, rebound and then some as they compensate for over-restriction. And whilst you can reasonably safely restrict hard for 4-6 weeks, most people have a lot more weight to lose than going balls to wall for that short a time will achieve.

Those here who appear to be most successful are those who have a sensible deficit (and this of course varies depending on TDEE) and just get on with living and changing habits over the long term.

Of course this is anecdotal and I don't profess to know if this is total fact. Just my own personal and personally observed opinion.

They do require resistance training, yes, and a VERY specific macro breakdown (about 90% protein, and just enough fats to get in the essentials). There are actually different protocols for people are different bodyfat levels (1 for sub-15, 2 for 16-30, 3 for 31 and above). Each is structured a bit differently to keep hormones from tanking and provide the LBM sparing effect. Trust me, if they work to peel bodybuilders from 10% to 8% in two weeks, they work just fine for taking...ehhh...the average American back to human shaped just fine. There's also built in cheat meals for the uber-fatties so they don't lose their minds entirely in the process.

Is it hard? For most, though I'm actually finding my C2 run hilariously easy. Does it get results for those who can hack it, and the properly follow the procedures for going back to maintenance and taking short term diet breaks? Most definitely.

It's a matter of preference though. I prefer extreme short term pain, to long drawn out annoyance. The faster my fat is gone, the faster I can get back to real lifting, instead of this three day per week *kitten*.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Rate of loss is only one factor in losing weight so I don't think it makes sense to look at it from a "which way is better" perspective. A bigger person can healthily sustain a larger deficit than can a smaller person. Males can healthily sustain larger deficits than females. People who prioritize athletic performance may choose a smaller deficit than people who prioritize low scale weight. There is no one correct answer to this question.
  • airforceman1979
    airforceman1979 Posts: 94 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I think it depends on your situation I'm sticking to a 2000 calorie a day roughly. Which my nutritionist said it's what I should aim for and I have lost 55 pounds in 60 days but that's because I started at 370 pounds so I had a lot to lose but if you're starting at a more reasonable weight then you should have a lower amount to lose
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

They do require resistance training, yes, and a VERY specific macro breakdown (about 90% protein, and just enough fats to get in the essentials). There are actually different protocols for people are different bodyfat levels (1 for sub-15, 2 for 16-30, 3 for 31 and above). Each is structured a bit differently to keep hormones from tanking and provide the LBM sparing effect. Trust me, if they work to peel bodybuilders from 10% to 8% in two weeks, they work just fine for taking...ehhh...the average American back to human shaped just fine. There's also built in cheat meals for the uber-fatties so they don't lose their minds entirely in the process.

Is it hard? For most, though I'm actually finding my C2 run hilariously easy. Does it get results for those who can hack it, and the properly follow the procedures for going back to maintenance and taking short term diet breaks? Most definitely.

It's a matter of preference though. I prefer extreme short term pain, to long drawn out annoyance. The faster my fat is gone, the faster I can get back to real lifting, instead of this three day per week *kitten*.

90% protein? What do you do for the other 10%? No carb only 10% fat?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The success rate is absolutely dismal for long term maintenance adherence, and it doesn't seem to matter how people went about losing the weight before they transitioned-fast/slow/backwards/forward/standing on their head etc etc :p Personally-I lost around 50lbs in a 6 month window, which breaks down to around 2lbs a week. That's faster than some would advocate but I had no issues with my weight loss phase, drastically improved all my health markers and I've been maintaining the loss for a few years now with a bmi in the 21-22 range.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited October 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

That's pretty much how it works. Like I said, it's not meant to be long term sustainable. It's a short term fat ripping/muscle sparing process, after which you move to a more balanced maintenance for a couple of weeks and reevaluate.

There is allowance for both carbs and fat per meal, but I personally don't use them. They just impede rapid progress.
  • DebSozo
    edited October 2016
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    I've got my "pound a week" goal programmed into MFP, but my *real* calorie goal is always "what is maintenance for an ultimate target weight?" Because if I can get used to eating at what would eventually be maintenance, then I can have a better chance of maintaining. It might make things slower in the long run, but i figure that slowly trending down is a lot better than the slow trend up that got me here.
    That's how I handle it too. I calculate the maintenance calories for my goal weight and then try to avoid going over that. I am working slowly to my goal weight. It will probably take me a really long time, but it is rather painless. Once I get to goal I'll be used to eating the correct calories to support TDEE.

• DebSozo
    edited October 2016
    Options

That's pretty much how it works. Like I said, it's not meant to be long term sustainable. It's a short term fat ripping/muscle sparing process, after which you move to a more balanced maintenance for a couple of weeks and reevaluate.

There is allowance for both carbs and fat per meal, but I personally don't use them. They just impede rapid progress.

Right. I'm not in that catagory so it doesn't apply to me. You are talking about bodybuilders preparing for contests.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Slower means that you're typically consuming enough calories that you can sustain it for the long haul.

Faster means fewer calories. Your body fights you with hunger and frustration, and, personally, I fall off the wagon more often.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Right. I'm not in that catagory so it doesn't apply to me. You are talking about bodybuilders preparing for contests.

No he is talking about a Protein Sparing Modified Fast which has been proven to be very effective for people at every stage of the weight loss "journey" from morbidly obese people to contest ready bodybuilders.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

No he is talking about a Protein Sparing Modified Fast which has been proven to be very effective for people at every stage of the weight loss "journey" from morbidly obese people to contest ready bodybuilders.

This. I actually started my current run at 177 lbs., and about 18% bodyfat. Hardly a bodybuilder in contest prep, but hey, dem abs, they've started to pop after two weeks.