Perks of becoming a vegetarian?

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    4crqcwmzhu9l.jpg

Low muscle-mass vegetarian (vegan, actually).

+HGH, Test, Tren
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Low muscle-mass vegetarian (vegan, actually).
    A picture of one person -without references or citations- who looks artificial and out of proportion is supposed to invalidate my entire statement?

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.
    For every 1 "vegan" you can show me, I can probably provide dozens of pictures of omnivores, all in better shape.
    Mine from a simple Google search, so you can do it yourself.

Besides that, it actually looks like his arm is filled with Synthol to me.

@trigden1991 It looks like you beat me to it..
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 5 years, it doesn'tguarantee weight loss, but I feel better since I've stopped eating meat...and have not had any health issues
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Like most things diet related I don't see it as a yes/no question. There are plenty of health benefits of eating more fruits and veggies. You don't have to view it as completely cut out meat from your diet or do nothing. There is literally no downside to eating more veggies (as long as your calories are still in check). Eating less meat than you currently eat is probably a good thing (depending on how much you're eating now of course).
  • cqbkaju
    edited October 2016
    Options
    MOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!
    :D

BTW, do you like the green tea Kit Kats? I've never tried them.
    Matcha, right?

わたしは にほんごが すこし わかります。
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    BTW, do you like the green tea Kit Kats? I've never tried them.
    Matcha, right?

わたしは にほんごが すこし わかります。

Unfortunately Nestle isn't as morally superior as those of us with lower muscle mass.
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    Unfortunately Nestle isn't as morally superior as those of us with lower muscle mass.
    That may be true.
    I wonder if they use butyric acid and vegetable oil in their "chocolate" in Japan like they do in the USA.

I just asked because I saw them in your profile picture.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    For me the perks are no more migraines and a cheaper grocery bill.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% vegetarian but I eat a substantively plant based diet...I eat vegetarian 3-4x per week. Keep in mind that any diet can be as healthy as you want to make it. I have a far better overall diet than some of my full time vegetarian friends as my diet revolves largely around whole foods and minimally processed foods...I have some vegetarian friends that basically live off of junk food most of the time.

I don't really think there's a substantive health benefit if you're comparing an omnivore and a vegetarian provided the overall diet is largely whole foods based...an omnivore with a largely whole food based diet is going to be eating plenty of veggies and fruit and good fats, etc. If you're comparing an omnivore who is eating the SAD to a whole foods vegetarian, that a whole other story...but really, you're also comparing apples to oranges there.

If you think being a vegetarian will auto default to weight loss, you are sorely mistaken. Even though my vegetarian meals are very healthy, they can actually be more calorie dense than my omnivore days if I'm not careful. To ensure I'm getting the nutrition I need, I eat a lot of beans and lentils and potatoes and sweet potatoes and whole grains...these things can be very calorie dense vs grilling some kind of lean protein and serving with a big side of veg for example...

I guess you really need to consider why you're doing it. For my wife and I there were a couple of reasons we went part time veg...

1. We were eating a lot of meat and became more concerned with the sourcing of that meat from both an environmental POV as well as treatment of the animals and the hormones and antibiotics and whatnot being pumped into them. We buy locally sourced beef and chicken and wild caught salmon and cod (frozen...I live in the desert) and it gets really expensive when you're eating meat all the time.

2. I have borderline high uric acid and have had gout flares here and there since I was in my 20s...more meat just ups my uric acid and increases my odds of a flare...I do much better eating a more plant based diet.
  • cqbkaju
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I understand you have no desire to stop eating meat, but there's no need to traffic in misinformation.

What part of that was misinformation?
    I never said "all vegans are smaller than all omnivores". That would be absurd.

If you are "debating" the anthropology then we will have to take that offline.
  • cqbkaju
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You may want to do more research on that Italian story -- Italy isn't seriously moving to make veganism illegal for children and I'm not aware of any government that is attempting to do so at this time.
    Really? The first Google result: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/italy-law-vegan-diet_us_57ac4664e4b0db3be07d446b

"The law proposes jail sentences of a year for raising a child on a vegan diet, up to four years if the child develops a permanent health problem and up to seven years if the child dies as a result.

It would apply to children under 16 and penalties would increase by a year if the child is under three."

You seem to be cherry-picking parts of the discussion to "debate" instead of the whole thing.

I am not trying to deal in absolutes but apparently you are.

The OP asked for advice. My wife was a vegetarian, now a pescatarian.
    I am a trainer and have been for over 20 years. I gave my advice.
    Do with it what you will.
  • cqbkaju
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Wow. Talk about denial.

Well, then here it is an Italian newspaper:

"Known as the “Savino law”, it aims to “stigmatise the reckless and dangerous eating behaviour imposed by parents ... to the detriment of minors”, reports Italian newspaper La Repubblica."

http://www.repubblica.it/salute/alimentazione/2016/08/07/news/proposta_di_legge_fi_per_punire_genitori_che_impongono_dieta_vegana_a_figli-145539707/

I'm done with this thread.

"Italy isn't seriously moving to make veganism illegal for children and I'm not aware of any government that is attempting to do so at this time." -- FAIL

A proposed law is a "moving to make veganism illegal for children" where I come from.