Didn't make the best lunch choice...still hungry

Options
This journey is really teaching me a lot about the way my body uses and "reacts" to food.

Everyday this week I have had a lunch that was under 400 calories and left me feeling full. Today, not so much!

I had two homemade tacos with just meat and sour cream and one plain taco shell to the tune of 500 calories and I'm still really hungry!

Lesson learned! Smaller portions of these kinds of food are not going to fill me up!

Now I am fighting with myself as to whether or not I'm going to eat more or just try to wait it out. I will be drinking this evening and had portioned my calories out accordingly.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Personally? I'd just suffer through it and count it as a lesson learned. Then again, I also don't drink, so that wouldn't be a concern for me either.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    A little hunger from time to time won't kill you. I have to keep reminding myself, because we really do want to make that feeling go away. But as long as you are eating enough overall, it's okay to be hungry until dinner.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You are going to get better at this as time goes by.

I do the taco salad thing myself. Greek yogurt makes a pretty decent sour cream substitute. You can bake your own taco bowls too......http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/250740/taco-bowls
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    At those times when for whatever reason (stress, TOM, lack of sleep) that it drives me crazy to want to eat more when I have already gone over my calories I drink water and wait a bit. If I'm still hungry I eat an apple, cottage cheese or beef jerky as these are the things that stop hunger for me. I might adjust my calories for later on in the day in order to not go over, but I might not either just depends. Some days you just want to eat more than normal and often i naturally eat less the next day. I keep these "go to" snacks around so I don't have to fuss and obsess over and I can just move on with my day.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing I had lunch at 1245 and my stomach is already yelling at my trying to gulp some water and ignore it b/c tonight i will be going out for dinner and have already input everything into my diary and really dont have any room for anything else :#
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Really depends on your mood. If the hunger is going to lead down the path of eating 2000 calories of Nachos tonight, then it might be worth eating a little something more to calm the hunger so the rest of your day goes how you intend. If not, then maybe you just wait it out.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ryry_ wrote: »
    Really depends on your mood. If the hunger is going to lead down the path of eating 2000 calories of Nachos tonight, then it might be worth eating a little something more to calm the hunger so the rest of your day goes how you intend. If not, then maybe you just wait it out.

I was most definitely headed down the path of 2000 calorie nachos... I tried waiting it out and drinking plenty of water but it didn't let up...I ate some reduced - fat cheez its and ended the whole thing!

I'm wondering if this increased hungriness may have come from lack of sleep. I went to bed early, like 9:30, but tossed and turned all night and just felt so uncomfortable.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I am always hungrier/snackier if I've had crap sleep. It's the body trying to keep itself awake with extra energy.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Lesson learned: anything less than 3 tacos is never enough.

:D
  • kschwab0203
    edited October 2016
    Options

I was most definitely headed down the path of 2000 calorie nachos... I tried waiting it out and drinking plenty of water but it didn't let up...I ate some reduced - fat cheez its and ended the whole thing!

I'm wondering if this increased hungriness may have come from lack of sleep. I went to bed early, like 9:30, but tossed and turned all night and just felt so uncomfortable.

Totally possible. I notice you ate this meal last night with some beans. Was that more filling? If so, you could be like me and need some fiber in the meal to feel satiated.

The beans made a huge difference!

I think this meal just lacked a lot over all. I am learning!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I am always hungrier/snackier if I've had crap sleep. It's the body trying to keep itself awake with extra energy.

Me too. Makes a big difference. Sometimes it helps to realize that or just to have some coffee.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Since your choice was "cheez its" it makes me wonder if it was a "craving " and not real hunger...
    Anyways good luck the rest of your day!!!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I often have something like Cheeze Its (this week its Gold Fish) on hand for a snack. Sometimes I just need to feel like I've eaten, and I can eat a decent amount of crackers for 70-100 cals and feel like there is something in my belly. :)
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could drink a cup of broth? Beef or chicken broth? Makes you feel like you ate something no calories.
  • kschwab0203
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »

Since your choice was "cheez its" it makes me wonder if it was a "craving " and not real hunger...
    Anyways good luck the rest of your day!!!

Cheez its were the only thing I could find while working that would not totally destroy me! LOL
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Nothing against Cheez its, whatever works ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I could get away with tacos when I was losing. Now, not so much. I know that if I make a bad choice, I'll be hungry later. Thankfully I can usually deal with it, as long as it's not hormonal.
  • Missbright14
    Missbright14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

This is when I binge, sleep definitely effect my hunger x
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous comments of making tacos more filling by adding beans, using plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and eating like a taco salad. I've also switched to corn tortillas instead of flour; I get twice the tortilla for the same calories and way less sodium.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

I don't know what it is but I almost always feel hungrier on Fridays than other days. I almost think my brain knows this will be a higher calorie day so its sending signals to my body. Its very odd.