Wearable fitness tracker???

Options
2»

Replies

• megquenzer
    megquenzer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have had a UP and a UP24. Now I have a Garmin Vivosmart. I like it but feel like my screen went bad very quickly. I love it but can't really see anything!
  • Missbright14
    Missbright14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one. I got this as I can clip it onto my bra (or trousers) as I push a pram a lot and when I had a jawbone that didnt register steps while it was on my wrist and pushing the pram so upgraded to fitbit one and love it!!!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivosmart HR and am extremely frustrated by it. The unit is nice but it has software issues that mean some of it's advertised functions don't work. Worst is if you turn on an activity (say walking) it tracks calories for that activity and calories for your steps. So you end up double counting the calories. It's been over a year and several firmware updates and the problem is still there.
    See https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?556-vivosmart-HR-HR for more discussion
    I'm looking for a replacement but need HR, waterproof and may want GPS. I plan to snowshoe this winter and would like to not to have to carry my phone.
  • RobynTheresa
    RobynTheresa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivofit. Never take it off. Never needs charging. I change the band colour depending on what I'm wearing. MFP and Garmin apps synch nicely. The Vivofit isn't the fanciest tracker, but it suits me. For swimming I have a Poolmate. Really your choice depends on what you do and what you want to track. I can't run (arthritis) so a simple tracker suits me fine.

I've been wearing it for 2 years.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    I have a Garmin Vivosmart HR and am extremely frustrated by it. The unit is nice but it has software issues that mean some of it's advertised functions don't work. Worst is if you turn on an activity (say walking) it tracks calories for that activity and calories for your steps. So you end up double counting the calories. It's been over a year and several firmware updates and the problem is still there.
    See https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?556-vivosmart-HR-HR for more discussion
    I'm looking for a replacement but need HR, waterproof and may want GPS. I plan to snowshoe this winter and would like to not to have to carry my phone.

Garmin does not give you calories for the calculated steps you get for the exercise. It gives you a step count yes, but the calories are not added (or doubled).. You can work with your activity level in Garmin.

Garmin does have a convoluted method of calculating BMR and total calories burned, but it does not double count steps and double your calories.

• xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've had 4 Fitbit Charge HRs since February this year. So far I've had dead HR sensors, serious undercounting of steps, huge bubbles in one of the bands, more serious undercounting and erratic counting of steps (on average it counted 60% of what I did), erratic HR readings while exercising, not tracking sleep properly and since receiving another replacement one yesterday, it's now on its 3rd charge in the 30 hours I've had it. It's gone dead from low battery twice today. I've tried every troubleshoot under the sun, had direct contact with Fitbit support (who are at least helpful and good to deal with, thank goodness) but all I can say is don't buy one! Probably why they've brought out the Charge 2, but I know the HRs are going cheap because of that... not even worth a reduced price IMO.

I have also had a Samsung Gear Fit, I loved all the features of it BUT it kept falling off all the time because it didn't have a proper buckle. Now I've changed to an iPhone so I can't use it.
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you have an Android, Google Fit is free. It will track you automatically without being in, with your permission. Just make it your step source under Steps to track service calories.
  • gojaqs
    gojaqs Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Just got my Apple Watch. It says I did 10 steps 2 days ago. :o All I can do is change the band. Tomorrow I'm taking a workshop on how to use it. Why are the instructions in 3 point type?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR (got for my bday in Feb) and have had zero issues with it. No bad data issues, no band issues. My Charge has been as close to 100% as its probably possible for a wearable to get lol. Lost 40+ lbs since I got it and maintained my current weight for the last 6 wks with it.

Just ordered the Charge 2 and hope it's as accurate and reliable as my Charge has been.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    svel713 wrote: »
    If you have an Android, Google Fit is free. It will track you automatically without being in, with your permission. Just make it your step source under Steps to track service calories.

This is good advice if you live with your phone in your pocket. I don't so, when I upgraded from Google Fit to a FitBit, I found that Google Fit had been missing half my daily steps. (It got the "going for a walk" ones, but missed all the putzing around ones - which, it turns out, I do a *lot* of.)
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar A300 and love it. I originally had the Polar H7 HRM, but have traded up to the Scosche Rhythm+.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    svel713 wrote: »

This is good advice if you live with your phone in your pocket. I don't so, when I upgraded from Google Fit to a FitBit, I found that Google Fit had been missing half my daily steps. (It got the "going for a walk" ones, but missed all the putzing around ones - which, it turns out, I do a *lot* of.)

Yeah same here, I don't know anyone other than teenagers who have their phones glued to their hands 24/7.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin Vivoactive. Original not HR. I've been wearing it continuously for about 2 years. It can go for over a week without charging when in step mode and about every 3 days when tracking a GPS activity for an hour a day. It's also waterproof so I wear it all the time. In the shower, pool, ocean, wherever. It tracks cycling and lap swimming too. It can also track HR with a chest strap.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i have the tomtom spark cardio its awesome.

before you buy a fitbit. google for the problems with the bads bubbling, splitting etc
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,385 Member
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit Alta since June - my first wearable tracker so I can't compare, but am very pleased with it so far. No issues, & I like the changeable bands option so you don't end up with a skanky band. No allergic rash ( & I have sensitive skin) and battery lasts about 5 days.

It has definitely made me move more & breaks up sedentary time with its buzz once an hour if I've done less than 250 steps. Have lost 20lbs since buying it - I think anything that works is a sound investment (albeit a bit OCD-inducing at times with checking the daily stats...)
  • emmarrgh
    emmarrgh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only cheapskate on the boards! I have the i5 Plus which is $15 on Amazon and it tracks my sleep, steps, has a sedentary alarm, and other alarm functions. It has text/call alerts so if I leave my phone in my bedroom or it's deep in the bottom of my bag, my watch tells me who is calling or texting me. I could not fathom paying 100+ for a fitbit, and I'm glad I didn't because I like my little cheapie!

I sync it with Google Fit which then gives that info to MFP. GFit is adding a bunch of calories before it sends it over to MFP which is a pain, and I wish MFP would sync directly! But not enough of a pain for me that I'd pay an extra 85 dollars lol.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I had clip Fitbits for a couple of years up until last June when I got my Apple Watch. I love it a lot. I like that the focus isn't on steps. I do confess just lately I'm wearing my Fitbit as well to do some compare and contrast, and there are some things about the Fitbit dashboard that I really like.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Try a Misfit shine. I paid $60 or less for mine and love it! I would not use a Fitbit if for no other reason then it seems to have poor reliability.