Accuracy??? Need Advice

Options
I'm logging in all my food intake calories and calories burned in diary right now. To be accurate is it smart to add a 100 calories to "Calories eaten"' and deduct 300 calories from the calories it listen I burn ? I'm trying to be the most accurate to see how many calories I've eaten and burned and determine the total .

Replies

• LewisLal
    LewisLal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think this is bring too critical. Nothing is linear and your clothes and scales will show you where you are succeeding or not. Just for the record however, I dont eat back the calories burned unless I want a real treat - a cake or dessert sometimes. Otherwise, I let it slide. Works for me.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's not really accurate to apply a user-defined fudge factor. However, a lot of us do that anyway when we deliberately eat back only a fraction of our exercise calories. We implicitly subtract a few hundred calories from our exercise burn just because we suspect that the exercise database is overly generous with calorie burns.

The way to improve accuracy of logging food is to use a digital scale and learn to note and record your food as you cook it. I use the food diary to plan my ingredients. Then in the midst of my food prep I use pen and paper to note variations from my plan. After my meal, I update the diary with accurate values from my notes.
  • HakeemTheDream89
    HakeemTheDream89 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's not really accurate to apply a user-defined fudge factor. However, a lot of us do that anyway when we deliberately eat back only a fraction of our exercise calories. We implicitly subtract a few hundred calories from our exercise burn just because we suspect that the exercise database is overly generous with calorie burns.

The way to improve accuracy of logging food is to use a digital scale and learn to note and record your food as you cook it. I use the food diary to plan my ingredients. Then in the midst of my food prep I use pen and paper to note variations from my plan. After my meal, I update the diary with accurate values from my notes.

Yes I understand a scale,measuring cup etc is needed to get most accurate measurements. But right now I don't have those instruments. An this post wasn't made to justify anything. It's made for accuracy and to seek other people recommendations.
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    LewisLal wrote: »
    I think this is bring too critical. Nothing is linear and your clothes and scales will show you where you are succeeding or not. Just for the record however, I dont eat back the calories burned unless I want a real treat - a cake or dessert sometimes. Otherwise, I let it slide. Works for me.

Sir I've being "Too Critical" gets me to reach my goal then I'm all in.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why would you add that if you didn't eat it or burn it?! I don't understand?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Abney - I don't weigh or measure anything I eyeball everything and use package calorie count (many here have proved its way off sometimes). I walk between 6-8 miles a week and don't eat any of the exercise calories back. I'm set to lose 2 lbs a week. Should I go over because my estimates (studies show people underestimate) my rate of loss will be lower than 2 lbs but still a loss.

The only thing I "pad" is going out to eat. Its hard to know what exactly is in some foods so I make sure to add 1/2 portion to the standard estimate.

Having said all of this... As I get closer to goal weight I will probably weigh my food as my margins will be lower. AND if i feel tired I will begin eating some of my walking calories burned back. Right now I have enough fat storage to fuel my body.

Give yourself a few weeks logging and see what your rate of weight loss is. Long term maintainers (which is our ultimate goal right) swear by a food scale. When your budget allows you should order one Amazon and Walmart have them pretty cheap.

I totally get wanting to get to goal trust me, but so much better getting to goal eating all your calories you can instead of randomly taking some off. Does that make sense?
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Abney - I don't weigh or measure anything I eyeball everything and use package calorie count (many here have proved its way off sometimes). I walk between 6-8 miles a week and don't eat any of the exercise calories back. I'm set to lose 2 lbs a week. Should I go over because my estimates (studies show people underestimate) my rate of loss will be lower than 2 lbs but still a loss.

The only thing I "pad" is going out to eat. Its hard to know what exactly is in some foods so I make sure to add 1/2 portion to the standard estimate.

Having said all of this... As I get closer to goal weight I will probably weigh my food as my margins will be lower. AND if i feel tired I will begin eating some of my walking calories burned back. Right now I have enough fat storage to fuel my body.

Give yourself a few weeks logging and see what your rate of weight loss is. Long term maintainers (which is our ultimate goal right) swear by a food scale. When your budget allows you should order one Amazon and Walmart have them pretty cheap.

I totally get wanting to get to goal trust me, but so much better getting to goal eating all your calories you can instead of randomly taking some off. Does that make sense?
    johunt615 wrote: »

Being 100% accurate or closes too 100% makes me accountable. I'm re-educating myself on everything.A most importantly I'm reversing the cycle,removing the curse.

@TavistockToad Because I measure almost everything off estimating and eye test. I would like to have some accuracy to inform me how much I really have consumed.