Almost there. Now what?

Options
I'm within 10 pounds of my goal weight.

I figure I'll get there by the end of the year. So 2017 will be the year I maintain.

I was the same weight from about 20 through 35. By 40 the pounds started to creep up. My lifestyle didn't change all that much. As I near menopause I wanted those extra 25 pounds gone & I'm almost there.

So now what? I never had to think about food / weight before.

How do I transition from loss to maintenance. Do I go reconfigure my TDEE? I assume it's less now that I weigh less.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    I'm within 10 pounds of my goal weight.

I figure I'll get there by the end of the year. So 2017 will be the year I maintain.

I was the same weight from about 20 through 35. By 40 the pounds started to creep up. My lifestyle didn't change all that much. As I near menopause I wanted those extra 25 pounds gone & I'm almost there.

So now what? I never had to think about food / weight before.

How do I transition from loss to maintenance. Do I go reconfigure my TDEE? I assume it's less now that I weigh less.

You shouldn't really need to recalculate anything in theory. If you have been tracking calorie intake and you plan on continuing and you are currently losing weight, add some calories in and monitor your weight for a week. Adjust calories up or down based on change in weight.

Consider that you're dealing with estimates and that maintenance is a moving target, so you're not going to be perfect nor do you need to be. You just need to get close and be consistent.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How do I transition from loss to maintenance?
    You eat more. That process can start before you get to goal weight if you wish, a gentle slowdown in the rate of weight loss.

Do I go reconfigure my TDEE?
    Your bathroom scales over an extended period of time is the best calculator.

Your TDEE may well have changed through weight loss but if you are more active or do more exercise then it may well be very similar. My guess is mine is higher now despite being 30lbs lighter.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I echo the above, and will add, give yourself a weight range +/- 5 pounds to work with in maintenance. This is especially true at our age and living in a female body.
  • LewisLal
    LewisLal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above two posts. Add 50 calories per day - not very much I agree - but dont go in with anything higher. Keep doing what youre doing not and watch the scales and your clothes. And just as a guide, the extra calories should be good nutrition, not refined sugars or simple carbs.
    It takes a year to successfully maintain, so take it real slow.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't really need to recalculate anything...you should have all of the data you need from losing weight. Nothing much changes...maintenance is just a handful more calories. You keep doing what you're doing and just add back the calories you need to maintain.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    What is the theory behind slowing down your rate of loss as you near maintenance?
  • karl317
    karl317 Posts: 87 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    What is the theory behind slowing down your rate of loss as you near maintenance?

Probably so you don't overshoot your goal if I had to guess. I ate my "deficit" amount until I hit my goal, then immediately transitioned to "maintenance" calories, and inadvertently kept on losing. I overshot my goal by 10 pounds, and it was actually harder for me to figure out what my true "maintenance" calories were for the weight I wanted to be.

I eventually got it figured out, but it took me longer because I didn't slow things down when I got close to my goal. That in itself caused a bit of stress, as if dieting wasn't stressful enough.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »

Partly the leaner you are the less easy it is for all your weight loss to come from fat - not really much of an issue unless you either have a rapid rate of loss or are very lean.

But mainly so you slowly transition to maintenance rather than have to make a large and sudden adjustment.
    It's not uncommon in this forum to read people's experience of shooting past their goal weight, struggling to eat enough, feeling lost without the "reward" of seeing weight loss on the bathroom scales every week etc.....

A sudden jump in calories also frequently messes with people's heads - they see a jump in weight (water weight and more food in your system mostly) and freak out and return to calorie deficit. As so begins a stressful yoyo effect trying to micro-manage normal weight fluctuations.

The transition to maintenance is as much mental/emotional as it is the mathematics of calorie balance.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ...maintenance is just a handful more calories. You keep doing what you're doing and just add back the calories you need to maintain.

A handful? My TDEE was 1600 & my weight loss was 1200. 400 calories seems like more than a handful to me.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've thought about what I would do when I reached maintenance every day for 2 1/2 years. When I lost weight when younger, I just thought that I had worked so hard at it there would be no way I would regain. But of course I did, so now at age 61 I knew I needed some kind of plan. I've set a 5 lb maintenance range which I'm at the top end of now. Still trying to get to the bottom of it. Then when I reach the top of range I will resume logging and reduce my calories by 250-500 until I get back into my range. After figuring out your stats, you need a plan of action to prevent regain. Yay for you!
  • fitqueenbess
    fitqueenbess Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Good question. I'm over by 5 and committed to getting back by reducing my TDEE by 125 plus one half my exercise points. That'll should get me back to goal in 8-10 weeks. I, myself, can't handle a 400 calorie deficit.
  • handeye
    handeye Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for about a year, and honestly I don't do anything different from when I was losing. It was a lifestyle change of eating healthily, not overeating, and getting exercise. I did relax on my calorie intake and let it average a couple hundred higher than when I was losing. Now that I'm confident in self control abilities I also allow myself to indulge (within reason) at parties or when I go out without really thinking about it. The couple days before or after I'll eat clean and/or limit calories and it balances out.
  • handeye
    handeye Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I only increased my calorie intake by a couple hundred because I'm short. I don't have a lot of room to play with. So it will depend on your body!